Post-Series Talk: Dallas Stars Defeat Colorado Avalanche (Win 4-2)

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
As an Avs fan, I’m so absolutely jealous of the Stars amateur scouts and their ability to find talent. The Avs are going to be in a very tough situation because their scouts have failed to consistently find talent to fill the roster for well over a decade.

Johnston and Stankoven are going to be such a pain in the ass to play against (they already are). Just a mix of undeniable determination and high end skills

tabness

GUCCY 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
1716016675799.png

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Unbelievably happy for Duchene. Guy has put up with so much unjustified nonsense from his former team's fanbase. This is huge for him.

He was a class act in his interview, but there's gotta be some great feelings of revenge for him and his family.

Couldn't have showed up at a better time. He's meshed so well with the team and despite struggling to score in the playoffs, the effort has been there.

He deserved that one.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
We got a moment that in all likelihood proved Refalanche to be true tonight, and Dallas still gutted a win. They deserved it.
Yes yes, it is rigged we are well aware.
The refs are betting
It’s bush league
I’ll never watch again

Now that thats out of the way, great game plan and execution Dallas. I don’t think the depth is what won you the series rather the teams commitment to executing a game plan to a tee. Maybe that’s what depth is and I don’t know it because we don’t do it anymore?!?

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Yes yes, it is rigged we are well aware.
The refs are betting
It’s bush league
I’ll never watch again

Now that thats out of the way, great game plan and execution Dallas. I don’t think the depth is what won you the series rather the teams commitment to executing a game plan to a tee. Maybe that’s what depth is and I don’t know it because we don’t do it anymore?!?

Legitimate depth is really hard to build and rarely lasts more than a few years at a time. Tampa is a fantastic example.

It's what made those 90s/00s Detroit teams so ridiculous, they just seemed to be able to keep manufacturing it.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Legitimate depth is really hard to build and rarely lasts more than a few years at a time. Tampa is a fantastic example.

It's what made those 90s/00s Detroit teams so ridiculous, they just seemed to be able to keep manufacturing it.
That and those were super teams lol. There are so many HOF’ers on that era wings squads.

Reactions: LT

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Unbelievably happy for Duchene. Guy has put up with so much unjustified nonsense from his former team's fanbase. This is huge for him.

He was a class act in his interview, but there's gotta be some great feelings of revenge for him and his family.

Couldn't have showed up at a better time. He's meshed so well with the team and despite struggling to score in the playoffs, the effort has been there.

He deserved that one.
Without the Duchene trade the Avs likely don't win the cup a couple of years ago, it also allowed them to trade for Mittlestadt this year (via Byrum). I'd he fine with Duchene getting his cup this year, never understood the animosity towards him from Avs fans.

What's funny is that, if the refs really wanted the Avs to win... wouldn't they have called SOMETHING in the 3rd period to put the Avs on the power play? You don't think there was a single call they could have made against the Stars?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Without the Duchene trade the Avs likely don't win the cup a couple of years ago, it also allowed them to trade for Mittlestadt this year (via Byrum). I'd he fine with Duchene getting his cup this year, never understood the animosity towards him from Avs fans.

What's funny is that, if the refs really wanted the Avs to win... wouldn't they have called SOMETHING in the 3rd period to put the Avs on the power play? You don't think there was a single call they could have made against the Stars?
I don’t know if there’s an ex Av that I hate more than Douchene.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
My takeaways:

For the Stars:
  • Pavelski is done
  • Somehow Jamie Benn is not. He looks better today than he did five years ago to me. I don't understand how this happened to a guy with his history/playstyle.
  • Same for Tyler Seguin. I would have put money on him being out of the league by now five years ago, somehow he's still an effective player that has really grown his game.
  • I still can't tell how I feel about Stankoven. There's a Connor Garland-esque quality to his game where it's hard to tell where he exactly fits into a lineup.
  • Is this the best that Duchene has ever played? He's obviously less skilled/explosive than he was a decade ago, but this is also the first time I've ever seen him not go worst player on the ice mode when the pressure was on.
  • Wyatt Johnson is going to be seen by everyone as a true #1 by the end of next season. He might be close to that level today. He thinks the game so well. It's not a coincidence when a guy is literally always around the puck.
For the Avs:
  • I refuse to stand for Samuel Girard slander any more. He has been playing the best hockey of his life and I thought he was outstanding. So many composed exits under heavy pressure.
  • If Devon Toews played with a different D partner, would he get some Norris votes? I think I ran out of fingers (and toes) counting the number of plays he broke up tonight with his stickwork.
  • Parise works so hard but he was toast.
  • Mackinnon turns 29 this year. He's at the point in his career where you really start to see noticeable drops in skating ability. This was the first time I've watched him and it didn't feel like he was just too fast/strong/explosive for the other team to corral.
  • Is it better for the Avs if Landeskog retires? 7M for a guy in his 30's coming off of an extremely serious knee injury...wouldn't surprise me if the Avs push him to retire and line up a front office job for him.

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
I had Stars in 7. I picked Dallas Stars to win the Stanley Cup before the season started and I'm sticking with my prediction.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Oof. Screwing your team over not once but twice, in the post-season at that, has to take the cake here. He will continue screwing them over with that contract he has and time is spent by the front office on dealing with getting out of it instead of improving the roster.

It's not even close for me on who should be more hated.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Oof. Screwing your team over not once but twice, in the post-season at that, has to take the cake here. He will continue screwing them over with that contract he has and time is spent by the front office on dealing with getting out of it instead of improving the roster.

It's not even close for me on who should be more hated.
It’s not an ideal situation, but he still doesn’t come close. Duchene having played for the Avs should be erased from the records.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
This series came down to Dallas being a bad matchup for Colorado. Stars have so much scoring depth that when the Avs big guns were out there, they could just commit to playing defense and containing them, knowing they still had the depth to score while the Avs didn't. MacKinnon and Makar struggled because the Stars have the skill to slow down great scorers like this when they can key in on them.

It's for these reasons why I think for their 2 possible opponents, Vancouver would be the tougher matchup for them, as they are a more well rounded team than Edmonton. Dallas would be favored over either one though.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
It’s not an ideal situation, but he still doesn’t come close. Duchene having played for the Avs should be erased from the records.
Why? I get the Duchene era didn't work out and the split wasn't great but I don't see why it's such a big deal.

The only Avs player that should have their name nuked from the record books is Brad May.

This series came down to Dallas being a bad matchup for Colorado. Stars have so much scoring depth that when the Avs big guns were out there, they could just commit to playing defense and containing them, knowing they still had the depth to score while the Avs didn't. MacKinnon and Makar struggled because the Stars have the skill to slow down great scorers like this when they can key in on them.

It's for these reasons why I think for their 2 possible opponents, Vancouver would be the tougher matchup for them, as they are a more well rounded team than Edmonton. Dallas would be favored over either one though.
I think Dallas nukes either of the pacific teams from orbit. Too deep too skilled all over the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad