Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2014-15 Prospect Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Nick Paul was easily 15-20.

This right here. Defensively gifted forward who finds a fantastic scoring touch all the while playing for the NDJ of the OHL makes him easily 15-20. He got an invite to the Canada WJC for crying out loud. He has a nice trajectory.

Guptill on the other hand is that guy whose tools you dream on and hope your development staff can mold into the hockey player he should be. As far as upside goes he's got tons. Whether he gets close to reaching it, we'll have to see.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I am not sure where I would have had Paul. He probably would have been top 20 before the draft but I think you gotta put Honka, Pollack and Peters ahead of him and that would probalby have knocked him out of it.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Have you actually watched any of the 3 you've mentioned?

Honka sure. Pollock and Peters? Debatable.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Have you actually watched any of the 3 you've mentioned?

Honka sure. Pollock and Peters? Debatable.
Ive watched about as much as someone living in california can. Now you say its debatable yet you chalk it up to shiny new prospect syndrome? That seems pretty silly and frankly something someone says just to be a jerk.

Pollock is clearly a better prospect, imo. We are talking about top 6 upside vs a guy who most likely tops out as a 3rd liner. Peters is probably close but valuewise i like his shutdown potential as a dman over Pauls shutdown potential as a forward.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
It wasn't being a jerk. I'm at work on my phone so it's harder to spew my thoughts out on my phone.

Potential is nice but Paul is further in his development. He wasn't playing on a team dominated by top end guys and received the luxury of playing with future NHL regulars.

As a "shutdown guy" his offensive game improved ten fold. Especially compared to Pollock who played with veterans who've been there before.

Both teams are losing a lot of kids next season, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform. I'd still give Paul an edge on Pollock this year. His game improved all all year long.

The Jersey Number

number nerd
Jul 15, 2010
Halifax
Sean Shapiro ‏@seanshapiro 15m

Jim Nill also confirmed to me that Ludwig Bystrom will play in Sweden this upcoming season, not the #AHL. #TxStars

Can somebody explain how this works?

I know around April 2013, he was signed to a contract by Farjestads, I'm sure at the allowance of the Dallas Stars, as he had already signed his ELC in 2012. Upon signing this contract, it was announced that he'd immediately be loaned to Farjestad for the 2013-14 season.

I assumed since his NHL contract could slide for 2013-14, that his contract with Farjestads was only for 1 year. However, with this news surfacing now that he'll return to Farjestads for the 2014-15 season, was the contract he signed with them for 2 years? More? Was he re-signed at some point that I'm not aware of? (Eliteprospects has had him "loaned" to Farjestads for 2014-15 for a little while now, with no source to the loan.)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
NHL contracts and European contracts, especially those out of Finland and Sweden, go hand in hand. Because Bystrom's contract with Dallas was signed before Farjestad, it has precedence. Dallas controls where he plays, but they typically consult the player ... see John Klingberg.

Klingberg was under ELC with Dallas before signing with Frolunda. Dallas wanted him in Austin, but he told them he wanted to stay in Sweden one more season. They honored his wish and assigned him back to the SHL.

It's more complicated with Russian, Czech, etc. contracts. Most Swedish and Finnish teams all have out clauses for the NHL, and they rarely block their kids even from leaving from the Canadian Hockey League as juniors. The Russians and Czechs often force their kids to buyout their contracts or just flat out won't let them leave. Sometimes it's a relatively easy process like with Nichushkin. Sometimes it's not.

Miro Karjalainen just signed a 3 year deal with HIFK in Finland. It wouldn't prevent him from signing with Dallas or even coming to Austin before the end of those three years, but it's doubtful he'd be ready before then anyway. Dallas has 4 years to sign him under the new draft rules.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Regarding sliding ... missed that part ... contracts only slide in the U20 years. Bystrom signed as an 18 year so his contract slide 2 years.

Years played after the age of 19 ... even outside of North America ... count as full seasons. Again see John Klingberg. He signed his first contract, a three year ELC, in May, 2011, at the age of 18. The following season at 19 was his mess of a year where he played in Jokerit (Liiga) and Skellefteå (SHL).

As a 20 year, after his first major hip surgery, he played again for Skellefteå and won the SHL championship. That was officially the first year of his ELC.

At 21, the 2nd year of his ELC, he played for Frolunda in the SHL.

Now finally coming to North America, he's burned 2 years of his 3 year ELC, and he's still going to require waivers at the beginning of 2015 (confirmed with Cap Geek) despite only playing in North America 1 year. That's the danger of guys playing 2 years on an ELC in Europe.

As long as Bystrom comes over next season ... he'd still have 2 years in the AHL before requiring waivers.

The Jersey Number

number nerd
Jul 15, 2010
Halifax
Big thanks, BigG44. I don't want to direct-quote your posts to prevent unnecessary length to the thread.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, he's not technically under contract with Farjestads for 2014-15, he'll just be playing there on loan from Dallas, as they hold contractual precedence and control where he plays?

I'm also glad you made note of the new rule in the CBA which allows teams to retrain the rights of European players for 4 years now as opposed to 2. I was going to mention in my initial post (but omitted, because I didn't want to stray off-topic and have the post become too confusing), that loaning players to Sweden and Finland for the first year (age 20) of their NHL ELC is becoming the norm in the last year or so. Just this year alone, I can think of: Buffalo's Linus Ullmark, Carolina's Erik Karlsson, and NY Islanders' Ville Pokka, to name a few of a very lengthy list.

I find teams are being more cautious with developing European players properly, since it seemed like they weren't noticing any significant progress and relinquishing their rights after 2 years. Only to have these players develop within 2 more years, and signing with other teams. Just this year alone, I can think of: Columbus' Simon Hjalmarsson (formerly of St. Louis property) and Edmonton's Iiro Pakarinen (formerly of Florida property).

\ rant. Thanks again for your reply, BigG44.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The only thing I'll add is he is under contract with Farjestad. He has to be under contract with both because while he's in Sweden, Farjestad is paying his salary.

He signed a 1 + 1 contract with Farjestad last year which I believe typically means a team, player, or both option. Dallas' ELC allows them to dictate where he plays, but the other contract dictates how much Farjestad is paying Bystrom. The only money Dallas will owe Bystrom is his signing bonus.

FWIW ... this will be Bystrom's final signing bonus. His ELC called for 3 years of signing bonus. His contract slide the last 2 years, but he was still paid his bonus. That's why you see the value of his contract go down on Cap Geek from the first slide to the next.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Interesting note from that article was Pollock was also asked to shutdown the top lines for Edmonton ... like Dickinson for Guelph.

Might be an interesting pair down the line if both can continue their upward path on development.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Interesting note from that article was Pollock was also asked to shutdown the top lines for Edmonton ... like Dickinson for Guelph.

Might be an interesting pair down the line if both can continue their upward path on development.

Definitely could be the makings for a very dangerous PK unit down the road. I have never been more happy with the Stars farm system. We should have a steady stream of talent for the forseeable future. Exciting stuff!

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Definitely could be the makings for a very dangerous PK unit down the road. I have never been more happy with the Stars farm system. We should have a steady stream of talent for the forseeable future. Exciting stuff!

Started by GM Joe and continued by Stone Cold Killa J Nilla!

How you like them apples, Lobo? :yo::naughty:

Ssudzzy

Jun 10, 2014
Did we rank our prospects after the draft if so can someone put a link up to that page. I do this on my phone and navigation takes a while. Also how deep can you go with our prospect rankings

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Did we rank our prospects after the draft if so can someone put a link up to that page. I do this on my phone and navigation takes a while. Also how deep can you go with our prospect rankings

We do our consensus rankings later in the summer when things slow down

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah. Please don't put the polls up until early August.

August is a wasteland.

Not this year. Dallas is going to be recruiting and signing Kevin Hayes.

If I say it enough times ... it'll come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad