Post-Game Talk: Dallas seeing Stars - 5:2 Jets

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hitch called the Jets' play like "pack of wolves". They are starting to look more like the 2014/15 team in terms of high pressure and tight gaps. The differences I see are:

1) Less physical - so heavy pressure on the puck, but less of a "heavy" game.
2) Less inclined to take lower quality shots. There is more skill in the line-up, and they are more creative and look for higher danger chances more often. You can see at times that this is to a fault, and they end up passing when they could/should shoot.
3) More team speed / quickness overall.
4) More compact / conservative defensively. They seem more intent on concentrating players in the middle of the ice in their own zone, and giving opponents' space on the outside. I think this results in more shot attempts against, but perhaps fewer shots from really grade A spots.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Most complete game of the season, IMO. Dominant performance by CSW, tenacious game by LEL and thought Copp was excellent. D looked very good, with Kuli and JMo both outstanding. JMo is astonishingly good at reading which way forecheckers are likely to go — his foot shuffle to squeeze pucks out past the forecheck is a compact thing of beauty.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Hitch called the Jets' play like "pack of wolves". They are starting to look more like the 2014/15 team in terms of high pressure and tight gaps. The differences I see are:

2) Less inclined to take lower quality shots. There is more skill in the line-up, and they are more creative and look for higher danger chances more often. You can see at times that this is to a fault, and they end up passing when they could/should shoot.
4) More compact / conservative defensively. They seem more intent on concentrating players in the middle of the ice in their own zone, and giving opponents' space on the outside. I think this results in more shot attempts against, but perhaps fewer shots from really grade A spots.

Excellent analysis Whileee

Really last night the one faceoff zone mistake lead to the Radulov goal. I am sure they are going to review that one in practice but Myers basically vacated the net to early. If he holds for a second longer that play doesn't happen.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Nice win, even though the NHL took away a good goal. D is so much better this season that the Jets have a chance to win every night!

*a previous post "Copp was excellent" wow!:facepalm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Nice post and I agree. This team will need to forge an identity like the 2014-15 team but last night was a big step in the right direction. Sometimes a group can learn allot by a good game and I am hoping last night was an "ah ha" moment. So that is what we can look like when we play that way. Our team looked very tough to beat last night. I am having trouble coming up with the right words but it was allot more than just a hot game......it was about the perfect playing style for this group that made us REALLY tough to play against while not killing the offensive creativity.

Reactions: CaptainChef

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
myers interview between periods, he stated that he is still finding his legs. Him and kulikov could be a really good pairing. jets may end up with 3 excellent pairings on d.

jmo has been taking a few more big hits on the backend this year. hope he is able to keep it up. last year he took fewer hits.

Revolver

Mar 22, 2013
Winnipeg
When Lemieux was in the box after his scrap I saw every knuckle on his right hand was busted open.
Going to hurt tomorrow.
Wondering if he hurt it bad enough to miss any upcoming games ?

Hopefully it doesn't get infected. That happened to Kane a few years ago and he missed some games. Punched the other guy's helmet a few times.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I just think Little is too passive of a centreman for Laine...needs to be more of a driver imo

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Im reading this Dallas-Jets post game thread and it has become Laine vs Ehlers

:)

Honestly as what just my brother told me today.

JETS is the only team that arguably put their 2 best wingers on the 2nd line.
Jets team is that good ;)

I can argue that Laine and ehlers will put up more points than the wingers in the first line now.

They will still win the same game as helly has been lights out.
Myers and Kuli solid.
Giving us the best 3rd pairing D

I think lt will result in less minutes for Schiefele playing with batman n robin.
As little and wheeler will get share of the hard match up.
Resulting in better wear and tear in the long run in arguably the Jets most important player ( Scheifele ) , besides Helly ( Mvp so far)
They are playing Scheifele so hard now just like Buff last year.
Insane ice time.

Does he lead the league in forward ice time.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
One thing I've really liked seeing over at least the last 4 or 5 games is much more pressure on the opposing D in our zone, and more specifically, a definite effort to "get" to the other D much quicker.

It was driving me crazy for the first part of the season watching how slow our forwards would go to the D. In cases where the puck would go around the boards, or passed to the D, it seemed like our forwards would take their sweet time getting there.

To my eyes at least, I'm seeing players hustle out to the D to try to take away time and space.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
ppl seem to forget that ehlers was going to be that next star for the jets until we got lucky in the lottery draft

I was most excited for ehlers til laine got drafted
now ehlers is kind of in the shadow whilst playing better hockey

That applies to Connor too...prior to winning the loto we were all chomping at the bit to see Connor in the line-up asap as he was considered a future star. After getting Laine it was like he didn't exist anymore. lol. But, he is still a future star...we just happen to have a whole slew of them now! :D

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Nice win, even though the NHL took away a good goal. D is so much better this season that the Jets have a chance to win every night!

*a previous post "Copp was excellent" wow!:facepalm:

That was me and he was -- standard of comparison is This Season's Copp. Strong on the puck, decent face-offs, some nice plays at the blue line. Much better than I've seen him thus far.

Last edited:

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014

I notice this as well, they are giving up shots but there seems to be much fewer high quality chances - at least that's what my eyes see.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't think anyone's mention this, but this is the second time already that the Jets have had a three-game winning streak. They couldn't get one for two full years.

Yeah we're in uncharted territory right now! :D

Makes sense though if we accept that the overall skill level of the team has taken a leap. The same thing applies to hat tricks.

Anyone else think Laine is going to win someone a million bucks in the next season or two? I fully do...

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
To give credit where credit is due, I tip my hat to Maurice. He's made some adjustments that I honestly didn't believe I was going to see from him, he's full marks.

They are finally on the same page in their own end on the breakout the last number of games. It is noticeable that the D know where the support is coming from depending on the situation and are moving the puck much more efficiently and confidently.

They are overloading the strong side way more often in their own end and not only keeping things to the outside but also turning over way more pucks. It's had a tremendous effect on their transition game. It wasn't as good against the Wild (although still ok) but was very evident against the Pens as well as tonight. I was critical of the Jets in the Columbus game, noting how much better the Jackets were at angling players off the puck than the Jets. The Jets have been really strong with this, pretty much since then. I'll credit that to Maurice.

I've always thought the Jets were a good forechecking team but were often weak in the neutral zone. They have improved there dramatically. The gaps the D are maintaining have been very impressive, they have been very stingy up the middle and when the puck is forced wide they have done a great job forcing the opposition in the right areas. Forwards have done a great job getting in passing lanes through the middle of the ice and are playing great angles.

Offensively the creativity of this team was on full display, they were at times mesmerizing in their play. When you combine that with how hard they have been working, how seamlessly they have been following their assignments and just how damn fast they are, it adds up to a very potent team. A very good Stars team could barely keep up with them tonight.

Good goaltending ties it all together.

I won't dump on Hendricks, he played his game, but I will say that this team tonight, the way they were playing, is the one he shouldn't be playing on. Now that they have hit their stride a bit, I'm excited to see what they can do with Frenchie and Lurch back.

Great game.
Really enjoy your analyses Ducky 10. Keep em coming.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Honestly after the first 2 games I was terrified that this was gonna be a loooooong winter but since then it’s become apparent that there have been some serious stylistic changes (gap control, more calm, smart play) as well as increased confidence all around. Only issues I have are the third line (should be good when MP and Lowry come back) and having Enstrom on the team, he has declined very seriously and consistently loses the puck in our own zone and no longer offers significant offensive value.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Myers was absolutely incredible once again. Where are you now haters?

Big B was also really good, destroyed Benn very nicely. He catched him with clean right hand at beginning of the fight, which probably softener his chin and that lil elbow was nice way to knock him out. Lemieux was also very good at his fight, totally whooped the other guy.

I think he is looking better offensively in the last couple of games. Still not great at defending and makes too many bad choices imo. I think playing with Kuli is masking some of his bad play.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Honestly after the first 2 games I was terrified that this was gonna be a loooooong winter but since then it’s become apparent that there have been some serious stylistic changes (gap control, more calm, smart play) as well as increased confidence all around. Only issues I have are the third line (should be good when MP and Lowry come back) and having Enstrom on the team, he has declined very seriously and consistently loses the puck in our own zone and no longer offers significant offensive value.

He's still a top-4 D in the league, even if he's aging and declining. He and Buff will anchor the 2nd pairing, with Trouba/Morrissey shouldering the load now. Perhaps Poolman will replace his mid-pair performance.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I didn't say that Laine does not have the same problem. NHL.COM statistics tell that Ehlers has 7 turnovers and Laine has 6. Laine has 7 takeaways and Ehlers also has 7 takeaways. The amount of takeaways is pretty ok for both of them, but they both definitely need to learn to keep possession with the puck better.

I have no problems with praise for Ehlers when he truly deserves it. But I am definitely against the thing that is going on here recently, when Laine gets bashed on something that Ehlers is at least as bad with, and at the same time some people completely blindly keep praising how Ehlers is a line driver, which he absolutely certainly is not at the moment. And I'm not claiming that Laine is any better as a line driver. They both pretty much suck at it, and this is the main reason why I don't like them in the same line at the moment.

BTW, have I been praising Laine a lot when he has not been playing too good lately? No I haven't but I'm not taking it either that some Ehlers fan boys praise Ehlers in something that he is as bad with as Laine is. And I won't take it anyway if the same happens with any other player either.

:laugh: :laugh: I'm not sure what you are talking about? Half of the times I want to post about Ehlers I have to go 2-3 pages back just to find the thread and all I find is a bunch of posts by me and @ImGoingNucks. I don't think Laine get's bashed for something Ehlers get's praised for at all. In my biased opinion Ehlers is slowly becoming underrated on these boards. Not to the extent of Little and JoMo (who deserves praise) but considering how big of a step he has taken this offseason. IMO Ehlers has been better than Laine at most thing so far this season. That can quickly change but we will see. You might not have been praising Laine a lot but you have certainly tried to bring down his line mates in order to justify Laine's lack of play.

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Another great game by the team.

Helle again with a consistent performance. Can't blame him for that awkward quasi-knuckler through the screen. Time to throw Mase in for a bounceback against the Habs, and look for a repeat of this game on Monday.

Reactions: SLAYER

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad