Proposal: Dallas and Montreal make a hockey trade.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
How much has Dickinson played at 3C? And how has he looked in that role?
a bit he's basically playing that now between Benn and Gurianov just with more minutes than a 3rd liner should be gettering, he's passable in a pinch, but he's just an all around average player. He's capable as a 3c but he's not a particularly good one

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
a bit he's basically playing that now between Benn and Gurianov just with more minutes than a 3rd liner should be gettering, he's passable in a pinch, but he's just an all around average player. He's capable as a 3c but he's not a particularly good one
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

If I may ask one more question, what in your opinion would the price for Faksa be?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You want a real hockey trade... Heiskanen for Suzuki. We can make it deeper with both sides adding prospects like Harris and Bourque. Not even sure I would do this but it makes me think for sure.

Drouin has been great for us this year now that our forward group has players for him to work with. Soft skilled forward yes but he looks bad on a team with other soft wingers and centers that need maturity. I would not trade Drouin for Lindell.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
You want a real hockey trade... Heiskanen for Suzuki. We can make it deeper with both sides adding prospects like Harris and Bourque. Not even sure I would do this but it makes me think for sure.

Drouin has been great for us this year now that our forward group has players for him to work with. Soft skilled forward yes but he looks bad on a team with other soft wingers and centers that need maturity. I would not trade Drouin for Lindell.

Heiskanen for Suzuki?? Man this won't go well.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

If I may ask one more question, what in your opinion would the price for Faksa be?
Faksa is hard to gage value of, he's a good 3c. But that seems to be all he is, and with Dellandrea primed to fill that role in the coming years, he's someone who makes some sense to trade, but who I also don't see getting traded.
He's good for around 15 goals and 30points even with black holes like cogliano and Comeau on his wings.

I could see him used in a package to return a top6 winger but not being sold for futures, at least not yet.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Hahahahahhahahahahaha no way in hell

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

You my dude, you are Out. To. Lunch.
That doesn’t even move the needle for Dallas.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki not enough proven as a top 6 C. He would need to have two conclusive seasons as a 1st line C to make things interesting.

I would agree that Heiskanen has more value but with me, the gap is not as big as most on HF boards will say it is. Heiskanen had an unreal playoffs and he's a great talent on D but Suzuki is a fringe 1C right now.

- Both are trending very well.
- Same age (21)
- One drafted 3rd OA and the other 13th OA (Same draft)
- Both had very good playoffs as 20 year old's. Heiskanen played more games and edge goes to him for sure.
- 0.46 pts/game on D vs 0.60 pts at C. Suzuki has 0.65 pts/game this year while Heiskanen has 0.5 pts/game.

The Gap between them is not a 1st round pick. That's all I will say about that. Stars don't want to trade Heiskanen any more than the Habs want to trade Suzuki. It's just one way the Habs can try to get that LD to play with Weber before he retires in 2 more years after this one. I'd be prepared to add prospects and ask for both sides to do it. Habs add one of Harris, Struble, or Norlinder as well as a pick (2nd) and Stars add Bourque who they just drafted?

Looks like the Stars can use a center like Suzuki and the Habs can use a LD like Heiskanen? Am I wrong?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You my dude, you are Out. To. Lunch.
That doesn’t even move the needle for Dallas.

Age 21 players from the same draft and both are trending very well. It's not this massive gap like you think it is. Just an idea but I'm not surprised to see the typical HF board overreaction

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Dallas: Lindell
Montreal: Drouin

Montreal's spin: With the acquisition of Staal and the signing of Caufield, and the eventual returns of Armia, Kotkaniemi, and Toffoli, Montreal is going to have a glut of forward talent.

Getting a 36 year old C with 10 points and is UFA after the season makes the 26 years old winger and best passer on the team expendable?

Last edited:
Reactions: Benstheman

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I would agree that Heiskanen has more value but with me, the gap is not as big as most on HF boards will say it is. Heiskanen had an unreal playoffs and he's a great talent on D but Suzuki is a fringe 1C right now.

- Both are trending very well.
- Same age (21)
- One drafted 3rd OA and the other 13th OA (Same draft)
- Both had very good playoffs as 20 year old's. Heiskanen played more games and edge goes to him for sure.
- 0.46 pts/game on D vs 0.60 pts at C. Suzuki has 0.65 pts/game this year while Heiskanen has 0.5 pts/game.

The Gap between them is not a 1st round pick. That's all I will say about that. Stars don't want to trade Heiskanen any more than the Habs want to trade Suzuki. It's just one way the Habs can try to get that LD to play with Weber before he retires in 2 more years after this one. I'd be prepared to add prospects and ask for both sides to do it. Habs add one of Harris, Struble, or Norlinder as well as a pick (2nd) and Stars add Bourque who they just drafted?

Looks like the Stars can use a center like Suzuki and the Habs can use a LD like Heiskanen? Am I wrong?

Dallas has Seguin and Hintz as there top 2 centres. Either way trading Heiskanen would be a huge mistake

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Age 21 players from the same draft and both are trending very well. It's not this massive gap like you think it is. Just an idea but I'm not surprised to see the typical HF board overreaction

If i am the Stars, i don't do it even if you add a 1st to Suzuki. It is just too much risk for them. Heiskanen is already a top pair D while Suzuki is still a ??. I like him alot. He can be a 1C in the making but he is not there yet and it's not a sure thing he get there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dallas has Seguin and Hintz as there top 2 centres. Either way trading Heiskanen would be a huge mistake

Fair enough. I don't believe this trade happens but it would be one I would think about. Bookmark it, we can look at where each of Heiskanen and Suzuki are when they are 23-25 range cause that's when I think we really know what their top end potential is. Both are still growing but as I stated several times, I do think Heiskanen is a notch higher than Suzuki in value but not two notches like some will try to say

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If i am the Stars, i don't do it even if you add a 1st to Suzuki. It is just too much risk for them. Heiskanen is already a top pair D while Suzuki is still a ??. I like him alot. He can be a 1C in the making but he is not there yet and it's not a sure thing he get there.

The difference is gap. Your gap in value is higher than mine. Both of us think Heiskanen has more value but with me it's one notch, not two notches in value. Both are only 21 and still maturing. But someone said to me that Heiskanen is one of the best players in the NHL. I don't so. Maybe one day but he's got work to do and so does Suzuki. More like fringe #1C value. That Stars D is good and has been good for a while now. Heiskanen slides in that mix well for them and his skating is what impresses me the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benstheman

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The difference is gap. Your gap in value is higher than mine. Both of us think Heiskanen has more value but with me it's one notch, not two notches in value. Both are only 21 and still maturing. But someone said to me that Heiskanen is one of the best players in the NHL. I don't so. Maybe one day but he's got work to do and so does Suzuki is he has #1C value which he don't today. More like fringe #1C value. That Stars D is good and has been good for a while now. Heiskanen slides in that mix well for them and his skating is what impresses me the most.
If heiskanen played in a different system people would appreciate him a whole lot more. Or if there was any talent for him to work with.
Idk how many times he tries to do everything himself, and literally nobody supports our drives the net

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If heiskanen played in a different system people would appreciate him a whole lot more. Or if there was any talent for him to work with.
Idk how many times he tries to do everything himself, and literally nobody supports our drives the net

Nah... I know Heiskanen's game well and I watched him in the playoffs last year. He's a great young talent on D no doubt. Suzuki offer with other pieces involved is not horrible trade value is my stance. Heiskanen gets the edge and I have acknowledged that but the gap is not massive. Would either team consider moving their 21 year old? Probably not.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Nah... I know Heiskanen's game well and I watched him in the playoffs last year. He's a great young talent on D no doubt. Suzuki offer with other pieces involved is not horrible trade value is my stance. Heiskanen gets the edge and I have acknowledged that but the gap is not massive. Would either team consider moving their 21 year old? Probably not.

Idk why you even brought that proposal up like any Stars fan would entertain it. We don’t value Suzuki the way you do and we value Heiskanen more than you do. There’s no deal to be had there. Doubling down like you know everything is just making it worse.

Reactions: AndreRoy and Groo

Nick Slafkofield

Nov 5, 2018
Dallas: Lindell
Montreal: Drouin

Montreal's spin: With the acquisition of Staal and the signing of Caufield, and the eventual returns of Armia, Kotkaniemi, and Toffoli, Montreal is going to have a glut of forward talent. With the injury to Chiarot, they have a huge hole in their top 4. Montreal could contend in the playoffs if they have a minute munching lefty who can play PK minutes. Lindell brings that in spades, and while 300K more expensive than Drouin, provides them a younger version of Chiarot, controlled for 5 more years. It would also allow Weber to take on less difficult minutes as he ages.

Expansion draft implications: Montreal would probably protect Lindell if they trade for him. But the forward spot opened up by moving Drouin would allow them to protect someone like Byron or Lehkonen, or Staal or Tatar if they signed them longer term before expansion draft.

Dallas Spin: Dallas is floundering. Yes they are still in the race, but they've only won 1/3 games this year. The loser points they've accumulated are giving them the illusion that they are in the race. They still might make the playoffs, but they don't have the offensive firepower to beat out two of Florida, Tampa, or Carolina in a best of 7 series. They need playmakers. The emergence of Jason Robertson gives them a taste of what it is like to have a true playmaker in their top 6. Drouin possesses that similar ability, and he might thrive in a smaller market. Losing Lindell hurts, but with Miro Heiskanen and Klingberg needing to be resigned long term, Dallas has the foundational pieces to build an elite top 4. They can resign Oleksiak, and allow Thomas Harley to get a look. Dallas would then finally have three lines that could attack, assuming their coach implements that kind of system. When Seguin, Radulov, and Hintz are healthy, lines could be Benn-Seguin-Radulov, Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski, Drouin-Faksa-Gurianov, Kiviranta-Dickinson-Dellandrea. A much more balanced and offensive attack.

Expansion draft implications: Dallas would have to protect Seguin, Benn, Radulov due to NMC. Droin, Hintz, Gurianov. This leaves the decision down to Faksa who has signed a team friendly deal, or Pavelski and his last year at 7mil. It would come down to exposing one of those players with Khudobin. The team could also choose to extend Oleksiak before the expansion draft, and then turn around and protect him. If Seattle takes Khudobin, he's replaced by Oettinger and/or Bishop, if Seattle takes Pavelski, he's replaced by Drouin, giving more youth, term, and 1.5 in cap space to be used to sign Heiskanen and Klingberg long term.

That's a lot of context, but this is a hockey trade that could actually make both teams feel like they won, if both players bring what they could potentially bring to both teams.
You should know that on HF everybody (except habs fans) consider Drouin negative value, you won’t get interesting insight on that proposal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Idk why you even brought that proposal up like any Stars fan would entertain it. We don’t value Suzuki the way you do and we value Heiskanen more than you do. There’s no deal to be had there. Doubling down like you know everything is just making it worse.

Just a conversation which is why I'm here. If you don't want it to continue, don't reply.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Dallas is tied for 24th in GA and removing Heiskanen would make it even worse. Plus
Heiskanen type players are hard to come by and it would cost a massive offer to get him IF was ever to be moved.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dallas is tied for 24th in GA and removing Heiskanen would make it even worse. Plus
Heiskanen type players are hard to come by and it would cost a massive offer to get him IF was ever to be moved.

I read this at first and thought you meant 8th worst......but it's the other way around, I think. :laugh:

Yes, they're 24th in total goals allowed, but in that category I think you'd want to finish "last", no? ;)

EDIT: Well this is interesting.

NHL's main website NHL Stats

TSN's NHL page NHL 2020-21 Regular Season Standings

It'd be nice if these websites got their stories straight about what counts as a "goal", because they really should be reporting the same numbers.

NHL.com has Dallas at 88gf, 83ga

TSN.ca has Dallas at 89 and 88, respectively.

Is NHL.com just not counting OT goals, or what? I think that would explain the difference between the two. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad