Proposal: Dallas and Montreal make a hockey trade.

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
Dallas: Lindell
Montreal: Drouin

Montreal's spin: With the acquisition of Staal and the signing of Caufield, and the eventual returns of Armia, Kotkaniemi, and Toffoli, Montreal is going to have a glut of forward talent. With the injury to Chiarot, they have a huge hole in their top 4. Montreal could contend in the playoffs if they have a minute munching lefty who can play PK minutes. Lindell brings that in spades, and while 300K more expensive than Drouin, provides them a younger version of Chiarot, controlled for 5 more years. It would also allow Weber to take on less difficult minutes as he ages.

Expansion draft implications: Montreal would probably protect Lindell if they trade for him. But the forward spot opened up by moving Drouin would allow them to protect someone like Byron or Lehkonen, or Staal or Tatar if they signed them longer term before expansion draft.

Dallas Spin: Dallas is floundering. Yes they are still in the race, but they've only won 1/3 games this year. The loser points they've accumulated are giving them the illusion that they are in the race. They still might make the playoffs, but they don't have the offensive firepower to beat out two of Florida, Tampa, or Carolina in a best of 7 series. They need playmakers. The emergence of Jason Robertson gives them a taste of what it is like to have a true playmaker in their top 6. Drouin possesses that similar ability, and he might thrive in a smaller market. Losing Lindell hurts, but with Miro Heiskanen and Klingberg needing to be resigned long term, Dallas has the foundational pieces to build an elite top 4. They can resign Oleksiak, and allow Thomas Harley to get a look. Dallas would then finally have three lines that could attack, assuming their coach implements that kind of system. When Seguin, Radulov, and Hintz are healthy, lines could be Benn-Seguin-Radulov, Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski, Drouin-Faksa-Gurianov, Kiviranta-Dickinson-Dellandrea. A much more balanced and offensive attack.

Expansion draft implications: Dallas would have to protect Seguin, Benn, Radulov due to NMC. Droin, Hintz, Gurianov. This leaves the decision down to Faksa who has signed a team friendly deal, or Pavelski and his last year at 7mil. It would come down to exposing one of those players with Khudobin. The team could also choose to extend Oleksiak before the expansion draft, and then turn around and protect him. If Seattle takes Khudobin, he's replaced by Oettinger and/or Bishop, if Seattle takes Pavelski, he's replaced by Drouin, giving more youth, term, and 1.5 in cap space to be used to sign Heiskanen and Klingberg long term.

That's a lot of context, but this is a hockey trade that could actually make both teams feel like they won, if both players bring what they could potentially bring to both teams.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'd decline for now.

I'd love to trade Lindell for a forward in the offseason after the expansion draft. Right now though, I'd be too concerned with who takes Lindell's minutes. Also, not too keen on exposing Faksa or Pavelski.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
If we could resign Oleksiak I’d probably consider this. Although I haven’t watched Montreal for along time. So I can’t comment on how Drouin looks

might be a trade for the offseason

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Doesn't really make sense for either teams.

From a Habs standpoint, Drouin's stepped up his game this season. There's no floating. He's playing the right way. We're not going to move him.

From a Dallas standpoint, Lindell is a good top 4 D locked up for another 5 years at a reasonable cap hit. They should hold on to him.

I think both teams stick with their guys and call it a day.

Reactions: JD27 and HabsAddict

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I like what Drouin brings this year but if it is the price to get a solid top 4 lhd, I’d do it. For Lindell, I’d do it.
It’s easier to find a player like Drouin on the market than a solid top 4 D.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
As a Dallas fan I'd take that in a heartbeat. Drouin is a playmaker: Dallas doesn't have any of those. Sure you can count Robertson, and Hintz, but their best playmakers are guys who will be gone in two years in Radulov and Pavelski. Seguin and Benn might have had playmaking at some point, but not anymore. Bourque will likely be ready by the time Drouin's contract is up. So I do this every day and twice on Sunday.

Lindell isn't half the player the Dallas org thinks he is. He's paid because they think he's Ekholm when really he's Methot. Getting out of that contract before the NMC kicks in would be awesome. Especially with Harley being seen as a top 4 defender.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Drouin has been fantastic for us this season. Honestly, as much as I’d like to have Lindell on my team, I wouldn’t trade Drouin.
I think with how inconsistent Drouin has been in the years before and how much flaws he has, you make the trade for a good youngish top 4 dman like Lindell. If Stars want to come back to this trade in the offseason, I'm all for it too.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You have to give to get and yet, here we are with "mine is better then yours". I don't know how good Lindell is, but I do know that Drouin is playing far better this year then any point in his career with us. He is a legitimate top 6 on almost every team.

If you think this is the same Drouin as two years ago, you are simply not watching Habs hockey and spouting an uninformed opinion.

Who is better then who? Maybe a third solves it either way, but we are not giving up trash nor expecting trash in return. And vice versa.

EDIT.....why it may never get done, we are great on the right, not so good on the left. Toffoli is filling there and we might lose Tatar. So trading Drouin solves a problem.....and opens a wound we then need to fill.

Last edited:

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
No thank you from MTL. Sure we gonna have too much foward soon but none are LW, and drouin is our #1 LW by far.

Toffoli is playing offwing but normally RW, Tatar LW UFA tho, Caufield RW, Anderson RW, Gallagher RW, Armia RW.

our next option at LW if we don't resign Tatar would be Byron/Lehkonen on the top 6 under Toffoli. Drouin isn't going anywhere, he really step'd up aswell, finally looks like a legit top6 player.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Which forwards will Dallas leave exposed in the expansion draft?

Seattle would probably be interested in Pavelski as a veteran leader to set the tone for their franchise (akin to Fleury for Vegas), but if they protect Pavelski they'd have to expose one of Dickinson or Faksa, so I wonder if they'd be open to trading one of those two bottom 6 C's at the deadline instead of losing them to Seattle.

With Khudobin having a down year it's not certain that Seattle would want to select him over a forward.

upload_2021-3-28_22-12-50-png.413957

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box

Seattle would probably be interested in Pavelski as a veteran leader to set the tone for their franchise (akin to Fleury for Vegas), but if they protect Pavelski they'd have to expose one of Dickinson or Faksa, so I wonder if they'd be open to trading one of those two bottom 6 C's at the deadline instead of losing them to Seattle.

With Khudobin having a down year it's not certain that Seattle would want to select him over a forward.

I think Dickinson would be the odds-on favorite

Reactions: Richard88

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Would Dallas consider moving him at the deadline to avoid losing him in expansion?

I don't know, I think Dallas is content to play out the season. The 4 seed in the central is wide open, don't really see Dallas being big sellers.

Dickinson is fine, but I wouldn't cry if he's the one biting the expansion bullet, gotta lose someone.

Reactions: Richard88

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

upload_2021-3-28_22-12-50-png.413957
Dickinson, right now should be the exposed forward. He's a dime a dozen 4th line c.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad