Value of: Dallas adding veteran depth (heavy remainging schedule)

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Why does he make 1.8 mill to begin with ?

What does he do that pretty much every other 4th liner can't do to be worth a 2nd ?

Well he leads the league as in number 1 in faceoff percentage so he does something every other 4th liner cannot do right there. He is 65% on the draws this season.

He was chipping in 10 goals per year while also being strong on the PK too. That is why he was given that contract.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The thing is.... if PEB is the kind of guy that a contending team really wants on their bottom 6....

....... then a contending team like Colorado would keep him.
We are happy to keep him. He's our best C on faceoffs, and also a solid PKer.

If you want someone from Colorado Compher is your man, but I guess that he's probably too expensive capwise.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Dallas is going to have to look for some help from a bottom-feeding team if they want someone sooner than the deadline, because every single team that's still in playoff contention and near the cap won't want to trade away their cheap depth players. Every team needs depth this season.

As an example, just the last few weeks the Avs have been down 5 forwards (Landeskog, Calvert, Bellemare, Jost, Mackinnon); 3 Dmen (Johnson, Girard, Toews; and their backup goalie (Francouz). With that in mind it's very unlikely that a contender is going to want to part way with their cheap depth guys now.

If you're looking for depth then teams like Detroit, Nashville, or Ottawa are the best/only avenues right now (as we saw with Carolina acquiring Paquette from Ottawa for instance).

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Take Frolik from Montreal. He is signed to league minimum and is a UFA after this year. He has yet to be used in a NHL game and is currently playing in Laval. He has passed through waivers this year meaning that he has no value. Clearly he will not return a draft pick but he could return a non valuable AHL depth player. Think of it more as a favour to Frolik to give him a second chance this season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The thing is.... if PEB is the kind of guy that a contending team really wants on their bottom 6....

....... then a contending team like Colorado would keep him.
Colorado has an alternative in Jost. Now. Let’s see when and if injuries strike again. But he’s taking Shane Bowers spot and not playing well enough to have it on lock.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
If I’m Sakic, I’d trade Dallas PE Bellemare for a draft pick. Ask for a two and settle for a 3rd. He seems like a Dallas style player. Defensive, gritty, not too skilled (just throws pucks on net and hopes), solid in the circle, can kill penalties

As an Avs fan, no way you get Bellemare. Avs are going to the playoffs too, you know, and that 4th line has real chemistry. It's a line we can send out with confidence, not just cross our fingers while the top 6 catches their breath.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As an Avs fan, no way you get Bellemare. Avs are going to the playoffs too, you know, and that 4th line has real chemistry. It's a line we can send out with confidence, not just cross our fingers while the top 6 catches their breath.
If the 4th line has chemistry; it’s between Calvert and Jost. PEB hasn’t elevated his play this season as others have. I’d say he’s gone the other way.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If I’m Sakic, I’d trade Dallas PE Bellemare for a draft pick. Ask for a two and settle for a 3rd. He seems like a Dallas style player. Defensive, gritty, not too skilled (just throws pucks on net and hopes), solid in the circle, can kill penalties
Would be a dumb trade by the avs. Time is now.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Would be a dumb trade by the avs. Time is now.
You’re probably right given the injures. But PEB isn’t having a great season by any means. He’s not a top 12 guaranteed player when this team is healthy. I’d shift Jost to C and play LOC or even Sherwood over PEB when all are available

bottom six like this
Calvert-Jost-Nuke
LOC-JTC-Donskoi

as you see, no PEB. Sherwood is my 13th guy too.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ducks have way too many bodies and guys like Silf and Henrique probably aren't movable at this point. Heinen is a decent 3rd liner and could probably be had for a 3rd. Or Rowney for a 5th.

I think Rowney would be a solid depth rental for this type of situation. More than suitable 4th RW who can also handle 4C or a third line role if needed.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad