Value of: Dallas adding veteran depth (heavy remainging schedule)

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
It looks like the Stars will be playing a heavily compressed schedule the rest of the way. Already had games moved due to Covid at the start of the season now posptoning 4 games and over a week off due to the storm and power availability, more games rescheduled.

The prospect of something like 44 games in 78 days i think i read, is likely.

Looking at the Stars current roster, still without Seguin and Bishop until early to Mid April, do they need to evaluate some depth options?

Even if they get lucky with serious injuries, there will always be games missed by players, rest needed when they are in the heart of the condensed schedule.

Injuries are being covered by younger players or AHLers who can cover the odd night, but lack impact. For most of the season the Stars 4th line has effectively been an AHL line.

Lack of depth may cost them.

What veteran players could be out there to add to improve their 4th line? Ideally looking at fwds. Would need to be cheap as they are against the Cap. But any veterans out there that could make an impact, maybe on a struggling team that could come to help with the Stars playoff push?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Wild have a few vets that could be available closer to the deadline. Someone like Bonino, Bjugstad, Johansson, maybe even Hartman (but probably not).

Reactions: DarthProbert

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Detroit has all kinds of players that could help. Especially Luke Glendenning who leads the NHL in faceoff percentage.

However we would like to get a 2nd rounder for him and we could eat half his 1.8 million salary.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If I’m Sakic, I’d trade Dallas PE Bellemare for a draft pick. Ask for a two and settle for a 3rd. He seems like a Dallas style player. Defensive, gritty, not too skilled (just throws pucks on net and hopes), solid in the circle, can kill penalties

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Detroit has all kinds of players that could help. Especially Luke Glendenning who leads the NHL in faceoff percentage.

However we would like to get a 2nd rounder for him and we could eat half his 1.8 million salary.

If I were an owner and my GM gave up a 2nd rd pick for Luke Glendening I'd fire him on the spot and see if perhaps there was a substance abuse problem that could get me off the hook of having to pay any kind of severance.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If I were an owner and my GM gave up a 2nd rd pick for Luke Glendening I'd fire him on the spot and see if perhaps there was a substance abuse problem that could get me off the hook of having to pay any kind of severance.

Why's that?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Why does he make 1.8 mill to begin with ?

What does he do that pretty much every other 4th liner can't do to be worth a 2nd ?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If I’m Sakic, I’d trade Dallas PE Bellemare for a draft pick. Ask for a two and settle for a 3rd. He seems like a Dallas style player. Defensive, gritty, not too skilled (just throws pucks on net and hopes), solid in the circle, can kill penalties
Bellemare is 68% at faceoffs on the PK this season. Compher and Jost combined are at 33%. That being the case, Avs probably shouldn't trade Bellemare. Unless of course a legit 3C is being brought in (but even then you might as well keep Bellemare as a depth piece). Keep in mind that the Avs schedule is almost as heavy as Dallas'.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Because he's not a good hockey player.

Why do DRW fans complain the last 5 years when he's been in your lineup?
When have Wings fans been complaining about Glendening? He's a solid face off winner plus he's solid on the PK yeah he doesn't put up a lot of points though he just had his first 3 point night of his career the other night. We Wings fans love Luke we just complain when Blashill gives him top 6 minutes because he's not a top 6 player.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Coyotes happy to send Goligoski and/or Demers back your way. Mid round pick(s)? Honka?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Any GM giving up a 2nd for either of these players deserves to be fired.

Agreed, thank you. Beat me to it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Any GM giving up a 2nd for either of these players deserves to be fired.

Agreed, thank you. Beat me to it.
Anyone that knows the very first thing about negotiating realizes you start high and fade. Try reading comprehension. My post literally says you settle on a 3rd. The ~80th or so pick for a PEB rental is very reasonable if he makes your top 12 and kills PKs. He also has a low AAV and is expiring. Mine was about as realistic an offer as you can expect to get.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Anyone that knows the very first thing about negotiating realizes you start high and fade. Try reading comprehension. My post literally says you settle on a 3rd. The ~80th or so pick for a PEB rental is very reasonable if he makes your top 12 and kills PKs. He also has a low AAV and is expiring. Mine was about as realistic an offer as you can expect to get.

lol I'll try reading through the list of 4th liners with 0 points, making 1.4m, who average 15-20pts, and are age 35 who returned a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Even someone with my low reading comprehension level can probably read a list that short ;).

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Ducks have way too many bodies and guys like Silf and Henrique probably aren't movable at this point. Heinen is a decent 3rd liner and could probably be had for a 3rd. Or Rowney for a 5th.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
lol I'll try reading through the list of 4th liners with 0 points, making 1.4m, who average 15-20pts, and are age 35 who returned a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Even someone with my low reading comprehension level can probably read a list that short ;).
Picks in rounds 4-7 have virtually no value so you’re not getting an nhl team to part with a player they use for a tiny lottery ticket. You’ll get an AHL level guy for a pick that low.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Picks in rounds 4-7 have virtually no value so you’re not getting an nhl team to part with a player they use for a tiny lottery ticket.

Hey man, you offered him, not me. I don't see you guys dealing him either. I just came to point out that asking for a 2nd but being okay with a 3rd is a bit optimistic.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hey man, you offered him, not me. I don't see you guys dealing him either. I just came to point out that asking for a 2nd but being okay with a 3rd is a bit optimistic.
Would require a desperate GM trying to make the playoffs, dealing with injuries, and a lot of games in a finite amount of nights. Stranger things have happened. The Oil traded 2 2nds for a guy they barely played.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Lol asking for a second for Glendening to get a 3rd is a rookie move. I'd ask for Heiskanen + 1st and have Dallas settle on the 1st, brilliantly using their desire to keep Heiskanen against them. Art of the deal and all

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The thing is.... if PEB is the kind of guy that a contending team really wants on their bottom 6....

....... then a contending team like Colorado would keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad