Dale Tallon is not happy with the officiating

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/StuWaltersmedia/status/686791471308001280

Stu Walters
‏@StuWaltersmedia

I just asked #Panthers Dale Tallon what was issue @end of game "everyone's pissed of that's why, we've had 1 ****ing PP in 2 games" #Canucks

I can't blame him. Because I am bored, lets look at just the box scores of the last 4 games

1/11 @VAN

VAN PP's=4
Calls Made: Holding, Tripping, High Sticking, Hooking

FLA PP's=1
Calls Made: Too many men

1/10 @ EDM

EDM PP's=3
Calls Made: High Sticking Double Minor, Instigator

FLA PP's=0

1/7 @ Ottawa

OTT PP's= 4 (one shortened to 50 seconds due to overlap with prior Panthers PP)
Real PP time: Roughly 6:50

Calls Made: Hooking, Delay of Game, Slashing, High Sticking, Interference

FLA PP's= 4 (one PP shortened to about 51 seconds due to slashing call, 2 shortened to 30+ seconds due to end of game)

Real PP time: Roughly 3:30

Calls made: Slashing, Interference, hooking, Too many men

1/5 @ Buffalo

BUF PP's = 5 (one shortened to 30 seconds due to prior panthers PP)
Total PP time= roughly 8:30
Calls Made: Hooking x2, Tripping x2, Holding

FLA PP's =1 (shortened to about 30 seconds due to holding call against FLA)
Total PP time= Roughly 30 seconds
Calls made=Holding

Total Numbers over first 4 games of road trip.
PP's against= 16
Total PP time against: Roughly 31:20

PP's for= 6
Total PP time for: Roughly 6:10

Total Disparity= Roughly 24:50

So the Panthers have spent over a period more of the game on the PK than their opponents over the last 4 games. Throw in the two missed boarding calls @EDM on Sunday, and it seems very obvious why Dale Tallon is a bit upset with the officials right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
As he should be. The refs just blatantly ignored numerous penalties done to the Panthers the last few games. It's been a joke. Our players get interfered with on so high of a level, I mean come on. Cross checks ignored. And the boardings penalties that were not called??? Jesus.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
The team has been sending a message: They will beat your team and the refs. There is no stopping them. Although they are welcome to try.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Not to mention Barkov got hooked in OT, and the guy turned his stick. Hooked him on the arm...then they skate down and call one on Jagr

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I wish our team had more acting like other teams where they immediately fall down when they feel a stick, flinch their arm when they feel a hook or flinch their head back in screaming agony even when they aren't high sticked.

Refs are completely reactionary.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The Edmonton game was the worst officiating this year but we haven't carried the play enough these last few games. When you do that, you tend to get more calls.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If they are gonna call the Jagr Hook, they need to call this. Even Sedin took a look at the ref cause he knows he hooked him

2hcl2zo.jpg

20160112_084806.jpg

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
The refs are a waste of space. They don't do much besides get in the way of play and mess with the outcome of games. It's comical. I often wonder if they are cast offs from WWE. Can't make it in wrestling? Come on down to the NHL! We have a spot for you. Btw, can you ice skate?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
need the penalty on jagr now for comparison sake

refs also staring right at it. unbelievable

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
need the penalty on jagr now for comparison sake

refs also staring right at it. unbelievable

The angle the ref had was different on the Jagr call and Etem was going hard to the net, which in a way negated a scoring chance. Not saying Barkov wasn't a call too but Etem was more of a scoring chance.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
The angle the ref had was different on the Jagr call and Etem was going hard to the net, which in a way negated a scoring chance. Not saying Barkov wasn't a call too but Etem was more of a scoring chance.

It's just frustrating that the stars have to be perfectly aligned for the Cats to get a powerplay lately. A penalty is a penalty.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

at that point, you are arguing semantics. who is to say barkov isn't able to cut to the net without a stick on his arm? the fact that the ref didn't have a great angle on the jagr call makes it worse imo. He couldn't even tell if the stick was actually impeding etem, yet its pretty obvious that Sedin's stick is impeding Barkov.

I am not even mad about the streak. it was going to end at some point. would rather it end against a WC team where it doesn't cost us points in the standings, but the officiating for Panthers games has gotten to the breaking point. As much of a homer as Potvin is, how many obvious calls have to be missed before somebody notices the Panthers are getting bent over

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
at that point, you are arguing semantics. who is to say barkov isn't able to cut to the net without a stick on his arm? the fact that the ref didn't have a great angle on the jagr call makes it worse imo. He couldn't even tell if the stick was actually impeding etem, yet its pretty obvious that Sedin's stick is impeding Barkov.

I am not even mad about the streak. it was going to end at some point. would rather it end against a WC team where it doesn't cost us points in the standings, but the officiating for Panthers games has gotten to the breaking point. As much of a homer as Potvin is, how many obvious calls have to be missed before somebody notices the Panthers are getting bent over

look at where Jagr's stick is and Sedin's stick is when they're actually hooking the guy and where the player is on the ice.

We need to do a better job of carrying the play. We haven't done that the last few games. Kulikov and Campbell made some dumb decisions floating wristers into Markstrom in OT giving up possession via a face-off. I thought that was worse. You have to maintain puck possession and only shoot when it's a good opportunity to score. Not toss it on net for an easy save.

catEye

The Barkov Era
Dec 27, 2008
Miami, FL.
Not to mention Jagr loosing 4 teeths with no call. Other players has gotten wacked on the face several times too but since we were winning no one really was complaining except the Peanut butter guys upstairs I guess.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Not to mention Jagr loosing 4 teeths with no call. Other players has gotten wacked on the face several times too but since we were winning no one really was complaining except the Peanut butter guys upstairs I guess.

its easy to let it go when the team still wins the game, but it has been amazing how this streak has been without the benefit of a strong PP.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The Edmonton game was the worst officiating this year but we haven't carried the play enough these last few games. When you do that, you tend to get more calls.
Spot on. You get calls when you are moving your feet. Too much prevent defense when we get a lead. You have to be proactive when you are playing with a one or two goal lead.

The new guys up from the AHL have also tailed off the last 3 or 4 games. That has much to do with Nick coming back and the constant rotation of the 4th line. Nick has been just about what I expected since he came back. He is rusty and of course his distribution is non existent. Knight is no savior as the 3rd line center either, but he is the better option to get all the players on that line involved. Right now their is no chemistry and they are spinning in neutral. Yes, eventually Nick will start to score but it's the other guys on that line that will continue to not benefit from his play.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Spot on. You get calls when you are moving your feet. Too much prevent defense when we get a lead. You have to be proactive when you are playing with a one or two goal lead.

The new guys up from the AHL have also tailed off the last 3 or 4 games. That has much to do with Nick coming back and the constant rotation of the 4th line. Nick has been just about what I expected since he came back. He is rusty and of course his distribution is non existent. Knight is no savior as the 3rd line center either, but he is the better option to get all the players on that line involved. Right now their is no chemistry and they are spinning in neutral. Yes, eventually Nick will start to score but it's the other guys on that line that will continue to not benefit from his play.

i don't understand why the kid doesn't ever seem to buy in. I am starting to worry about him more and more.. not that he cant be a scoring center that's a mismatch... but him becoming a more complete player. our second line is a good example of unselfish play. Before anyone wants to point out hes coming back from injury.. He is coming back from migraines from a head injury. He looks very rusty... Not ready... Maybe we should look at Rau for our next callup. The kid knows how to play with Nick.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
^you suck it up till Bjugstad gets going.

This team will not go far without Bjugstad producing....flatout you bite the bullet till he is ready.

And he becomes ready by playing.

No unecessary changes.

Pirri swap to another line is about it. but Bjugstad stays where he is

Alberta10Hockey

Jan 5, 2016

I completely agree. When Knight was playing 3C that line was actually creating some offense and much stronger on the defensive side of the puck as well. I would like Knight to move up to third line center and Bjugstad to the wing for the time being. Since Knight has moved off that line Shaw and Pirri haven't been nearly as effective just because, like you said, their playing styles don't mesh. Knight was tops in nhl in points/60 minutes. He is still in the top 10, would like to see his role increased. Such a good two way player. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-points-per-60-min-leaders/2015/

And what more can you really expect from your fourth line then to see them not get scored on and have offensive zone shifts to kill minutes, they have been contributing with points during this win streak which has been huge, but with limited minutes it is always going to be tough to create offense more consistently. I still don't understand Thornton getting into as many games as he is, you just don't need that playing style anymore. That fourth line has a lot of energy and speed right now when it has been Howden Knight and Mack. You could even say when it is those three they have been more effective than the third line has, even with less minutes.

It's hard to change a lot during a win streak but now that it is over and the last handful of games haven't been the panthers best, maybe a bit of a shakeup is in order.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
These last two games were ridiculous. You would think that a first place team, on a 10+ game winning streak, would get a little bit better attention from the officials. Not saying that they should have favored the Panthers, but at least be a bit more fair with the calls. If you are going to call the Jagr hook last night, you call the hook on Jagr prior to that. Ekblad gets his lid knocked off of his head, at the start of a game, and nothing is called. Jagr gets his teeth knocked out in front of the net, where all four officials have their eyes centered at, and nothing is called. That is unacceptable, period. Last night wasnt even about the streak ending, there were missed calls left and right. Im glad that melee happened at the end, after the OT goal. Im sure the whole team is pissed off, and Im glad they let loose some of that steam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad