Dale Mitchell Potential

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
He's put up solid numbers but his size could be an issue.

P.S. Total Posts: 723 (49.92 posts per day)

Holy crap dude....

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
ive seen him play about 30 times.....i can tell you all of his points have come as a result of him not playing on John Tavares' line because Dale doesn't play on Tavares' line....He was on the second line this year for the Generals......He's extremly quick and has a awesome shot coming down the wing...the one thing he needs to improve is his willingness to engage in physical battles...he's got to also work on his strength...But i think hes probably one of the fastest skaters in the OHL

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
He's put up solid numbers but his size could be an issue.

P.S. Total Posts: 723 (49.92 posts per day)

Holy crap dude....[/SIZE
]

HAHA. LOL.

Boring days?

Thanks a bunch though.

ive seen him play about 30 times.....i can tell you all of his points have come as a result of him not playing on John Tavares' line because Dale doesn't play on Tavares' line....He was on the second line this year for the Generals......He's extremly quick and has a awesome shot coming down the wing...the one thing he needs to improve is his willingness to engage in physical battles...he's got to also work on his strength...But i think hes probably one of the fastest skaters in the OHL

Thanks.

;)

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004

most of this stuff I have heard, but the strength stuff. The guy is 207 pounds. Is he kind of chunky then, because I think if he puts on any more strength he won't be able to move ;)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think Mitchell has a certain degree of risk just from being a guy who tends to play all-out at the junior level. I don't know if the weight is chunkiness or strength, but from seeing the Generals a handful of times last season I tended to get the impression he was more willing to throw some hits than the other poster suggested. :dunno:

But my worry with guys who play at a higher energy level than others in junior... but still have no clearly elite skills... is that they're going to have a harder time taking it to the next level than some others. When the competition steps up another notch, they won't always have the edge in energy anymore. I'm really eager to see what Mitchell does this year. I don't know if he's in line to try to replace Clutterbuck on the big line or not, but it could be a really explosive season for him if so. (Could still be one anyway, given the way he produced on the 2nd unit last year). I drafted him in my FHL and I've liked what I've seen from him. For whatever reason, he reminds me of a young Martin Gelinas. :dunno:

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
most of this stuff I have heard, but the strength stuff. The guy is 207 pounds. Is he kind of chunky then, because I think if he puts on any more strength he won't be able to move ;)

Yep he is chunky.....it's his body type and that is why you see his conditioning questioned form time to time....however he has great speed..so I don't know how you can have world class speed and be out of shape.
I think guys of his body type always have their conditioning questioned.

I've seen him play over seventy times and he has done as much as you could expect from a third round pick so far including:
-coming into the O as a sixteen year old and proving he could score in his first year
- improving his scoring as a 17 year old..
- like others have already said.......most of his goals come from a a real good wrist shot and he does have the abilty to handle the puck at top speed- his speed also draws a lot of penalties
-as his totals suggest he is a better scorer then playmaker

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
he played with Parnham and Gongalsky...id say the weight thing isn't an issue hes obviously in great shape because he is probably the fastest general, people said Brendan Morrow was chubby coming out of junior, but its just the way he's built.....Mitchell's work ethic and heart are second to none. I'd project his ceiling as a 2nd line forward..

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
he played with Parnham and Gongalsky...id say the weight thing isn't an issue hes obviously in great shape because he is probably the fastest general, people said Brendan Morrow was chubby coming out of junior, but its just the way he's built.....Mitchell's work ethic and heart are second to none. I'd project his ceiling as a 2nd line forward..

So he is a boom/bust prospect?

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
I was wondering the same thing, I read he was "stocky" but I mean that doesn't mean "husky" it sort of means just a big guy across the chest that would look much more proportional if he were like 6-2. Just means he's hard to knock off the puck and is probably really strong. I mean I am 5-8/9 and am about 210 and I am not thin, but I am not a bus either, same thing, big in the chest arms, everywhere. Hopefully this guy pans to be a 3rd liner for the leafs...2nd would be awesome though. So glad we drafted NA with our first pick, one of the Leafs' draft weaknesses in the past.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
So he is a boom/bust prospect?
I don't think so. He's pretty industrious. If he doesn't end up being a scorer, he could be a decent energy guy who chips in (Gelinas/Torres maybe, but smaller... well, I guess one wouldn't project quite the physicality of a Torres, but I always found Mitchell to be a bit spunkier in that sense than some of the reports I read suggest... maybe it's just the games I happened to see :dunno: ).

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
he's a safe bet to be a nhl player in some shape or form....If he develops well he's a 2nd liner, but if he doesnt he has other aspects of his game other than scoring that'll get him to the NHL a 3rd-4th line energy guy would be suitable for him as well.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Dale Mitchell

Just wondering what people think of his potential, and what we Leaf fans might expect from him this year in Oshawa. Is he still going to be playing on the second line this year, or will he get a chance to play with Tavares? I like the kids speed, and skill level, and his size does not bother me what so ever, as it doesn't appear to be a problem so far in his career.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I expect him to play on the second line on Oshawa, and play at least 60 games, score around 50 goals and about 40+ assists, for around 90+ points.

Also, I would compare Gelinas, with better goal-scoring touch, or Raffi Torres, with a better shot and better skating.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
Theres was a thread on this about a month ago with a **** load of info.

The Least of The bunch, you got high expectations comparing him to Torres or Gelinas but better.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Theres was a thread on this about a month ago with a **** load of info.

The Least of The bunch, you got high expectations comparing him to Torres or Gelinas but better.

No, this isnt my comparisons, they were the comparisons from the last thread from what some people had written, and from what Mess, LeafErikson, and other Oshawa Gens fans and Leafs fans had told me about Dale.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
From the video I've seen of him, he doesn't appear to be afraid to engage in physical battles. He did have a fight, in the scouting video I saw, he was overmatched, but many players that small would be, I'm guessing.

The video I saw of him at the Leafs orientation camp this summer, he didn't look fat, or chubby. He actually looks like he spends a lot of time in the gym. I myself am not a tall guy, 5'9 210 lbs, but people often guess me at 180 lbs or so. So I know how looks can be deceptive for sure. I know guys who are taller than I am, and weight just as much, but they have a big ass gut. I look at them and think they're either lying, or they must just hold their weight in much different ways than I do.

Anyway, I don't mind the Torres comparisons, if he can score almost 30 goals in the NHL some day, that would be awesome. I think he's likely to round out as a 3rd line winger, who can chip in anywhere from 15-20 goals a season, and that's not bad from a 3rd rounder.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
i say hes a safe prospect because hes got one thing you cant teach and thats heart and emotion, he wears his heart on his sleeve out there so i think no matter what he's a nhl player in some capacity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad