OT: Dale Hawerchuk Boulevard

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Dale Hawerchuk Boulevard is nice. Louis Riel Boulevard since his residence was VERY close. As long as its not Truth and Reconciliation Boulevard I am good.

Very interesting -- where exactly was Louis Riel's residence ? I'd like to know.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yes your right -- I forgot about that, but we need to do better than Duff's Ditch, which is sort of like mocking it. That ditch was very important.
We will definitely be using it this spring that's for sure.

Reactions: GNP

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Why are they renaming it?
Bishop Grandin was one of the architect of the residential school system that forced Indigenous children from their families, in order to assimilate them into "proper" society. They have already renamed Bishop Grandin High School in Calgary, to Our Lady of the Rockies High School.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We will definitely be using it this spring that's for sure.

Thanks, I didn't know that, but it be interesting to check it out. I wonder if it has was statues of him, that look exactly like him. I'd like to see it.

Also with all this snow, the Floodway will be a great help this year, to avoid flooding. Duff's ditch will pay off again. I don't think the guy gets enough credit, for the money and destruction he saved this City, with his foresight into the future. They should build a statue of him somewhere in Winnipeg, as I think he's earned it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd be all-in for it, but doubt it'll happen. I mean, naming Sterling Lyon wasn't a good idea. I think Bishop Grandin should be given a name like Kenora Boulevard or something that isn't political or controversial. If you ask me they should've called it Wilkes Parkway.

One of the developments in Winnipeg should do something like they did in Vegas where they named all the streets after players or legends. The main road should be Dale Hawerchuk Boulevard. Thomas Steen Drive. Teemu Selanne Drive.

:laugh: But that is not the way developers do it.
It would be Hawerchuk Boulevard, Hawe'''''k Way, Hawer''''k Street, " Road, " Ave, " Drive, " Cr, " Close, etc, etc. You would be able to find your way in to Hawerchuk Estates, but you could never get out. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A hero in Manitoba would be Duff Roblin, who was the guy that proposed building the floodway, that faced much opposition, but he got the legislation thru, and the floodway was built, This saved the City and Province hundreds of millions of dollars. He was a man that had true vision.

There is a Roblin Blvd right now, and maybe that was named after Duff ?

Pretty sure it was.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Roblin Blvd was not named after Duff Roblin...but there should be something named after Duff, besides a crummy park.

Oh? I guess I always just assumed it was. Who then? Didn't Duff have a father or grandfather who was prominent much earlier? Would it be that Roblin then? Also Roblin Man.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks, I didn't know that, but it be interesting to check it out. I wonder if it has was statues of him, that look exactly like him. I'd like to see it.

Also with all this snow, the Floodway will be a great help this year, to avoid flooding. Duff's ditch will pay off again. I don't think the guy gets enough credit, for the money and destruction he saved this City, with his foresight into the future. They should build a statue of him somewhere in Winnipeg, as I think he's earned it.

Not sure about younger people, but my generation is well aware of Duff's Ditch and the part he played in getting it built. I don't think calling it that is disrespectful either. It might have been pejorative at the time but it has grown to be an appreciation of him, IMO.

The opposition to it was pretty strong and widespread. He had a helluva fight to get it pushed through and deserves full credit.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Bishop Grandin was one of the architect of the residential school system that forced Indigenous children from their families, in order to assimilate them into "proper" society. They have already renamed Bishop Grandin High School in Calgary, to Our Lady of the Rockies High School.

We better not dig too deep into Louis Riel’s past as there are a lot of skeletons in that closet as well!

don’t like naming stuff after politicians, religious leaders or athletes period!

how about just renaming it St. Vital Boulevard

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
We better not dig too deep into Louis Riel’s past as there are a lot of skeletons in that closet as well!

don’t like naming stuff after politicians, religious leaders or athletes period!

Skeletons in everyone’s closets if people were truly honest.
Honoring Hawerchuk is a great idea IMO

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Why? Did St Mary get caught doing something naughty? You are taking this cancel culture stuff too far.
I assume he’s just referring to the fact Joe is a beloved sports hero in this town who has had a business on St Mary’s road forever.

The cancel culture and woke references get thrown around far too much.

Reactions: Jets 31

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I believe there’s talk of the name St. Vital getting the axe too so I’d say that’s unlikely.

GaryinPrague

Dec 12, 2011

thanks, i dont get all the news anymore since i moved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad