Dale Hawerchuk Appreciation Thread

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
No HannuJ. I was not implying I wanted a meddling owner. Truth is though, Shenkarow was. He was a tight-wad all about the bottom line not the game or product on the ice.

That’s just fact. Just as ducky was/is the greatest Jet for now.
I think Shenkarow for the most part got a raw deal. He might have had the worst arena deal in the history of pro sports. That deal plus the economy of the time, in the country and the NHL, made it impossible for him to succeed.

Reactions: HannuJ

RitzFoods

Nov 15, 2017
I agree with you Ducky10; Shenkarow, the Jets, had 'one of’ the worst arena deals in pro sports at the time. Gotta wonder, was he dealt a bad hand or did he buy a bad hand? I don’t know. I do know the crummy deal left him scraping the couch cushions for cash, and ‘Peggers without a team.

It’s un-imaginable now to have a pro-sports team that doesn’t own the venue and revenue that comes with it. But that’s the predicament the Jets 1.0 were in under Shenkarow’s leadership.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
The best player to ever play for the Jets. There are so many fond memories of him in a Jets' uni that I won't pick one. I do remember that if it weren't for Gretzky, Hawerchuk would have been the best player in the league for a few years.

Smith was a joke as GM and he got raped in the Hawerchuk deal...Hawerchuk and a 14th overall for Housley, Arniel and the 19th overall???? Really?

That traded ended up being Hawerchuk and Brad May for Housley, Arniel, Scott Parker and Tkachuk.

So while Tkachuk was easily better than May, Hawerchuk was better than the package of 3 players.

All that said though, acquiring Housley was a coup as he was instrumental in Selanne's record smashing season a few years later. Many of his 79 assists that year were onto the tape of Selanne's.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Love Dale Hawerchuk.
Props to the man.
My 2 favorite Jets wore #10.

upload_2017-11-15_20-2-0.jpeg

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
I think Shenkarow for the most part got a raw deal. He might have had the worst arena deal in the history of pro sports. That deal plus the economy of the time, in the country and the NHL, made it impossible for him to succeed.
What ever happened to Winnipeg enterprises

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
so is his number retired? ive been confused on this since true north hung the hot line. are these numbers retired?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What ever happened to Winnipeg enterprises

It got put down like a rabid dog! WIth a private ball park, private arena and stadium owned by the University and BB's Winnipeg enterprises became redundant, thank god!~

Don't feel too sorry for Shenkarow he had a pretty sweet deal at the end with taxpayers picking up his losses!

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The city shuttered it in 04 or 05 I believe. I
so is his number retired? ive been confused on this since true north hung the hot line. are these numbers retired?
No, not retired "honoured"

I doubt anyone will ever be ballsy enough to wear 10 given Hawerchuk's status in Winnipeg and being it's only HOF'er.

Hendricks currently graces Hedberg's jersey........:(

Copp wears 9.

14 is available.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
No HannuJ. I was not implying I wanted a meddling owner. Truth is though, Shenkarow was. He was a tight-wad all about the bottom line not the game or product on the ice.

That’s just fact. Just as ducky was/is the greatest Jet for now.
sorry, but you're wrong.
he had a horrible arena, a horrible arena deal and a city that decided that they would be the best people managing the arena.
he also had a canadian dollar that plumetted.
the team was losing money hand over fist and you're calling him a tight wad? lol

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
And we're off topic again - this seems to be how every one of these threads goes. Please steer it back on topic, or start another thread to discuss Shenkarow, Winnipeg Enterprises, etc - thanks!

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Somebody forgot to give Ducky his WJHOF standard issue grey pants for the ceremony.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

IMO I don't think his number should be retired. I like the 'honour' system. Maybe it's just my bias against stupid numbers, but in my head, I imagine the Winnipeg Jets existing for the next 1,000,000 years. If we retire numbers, then we'll eventually run out. Yeah, it's a bit silly, but I guess I'm an optimist in that way. If we act like the franchise will exist when we eventually figure out interplanetary travel, then I think it helps put into context that far off future kind of stuff.

There is one number in Winnipeg sports history that deserves to be retired, and that is #85 for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. You could argue me into Ploen's number as well, but that would be it. Hawerchuk had a great career for the Jets, but he also had a great career elsewhere in the NHL.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
TNSE did this in the club room in the basement. I was in there last game. Wow is it small. Not sure why they have 2 clubs. its not like budweiser lounge holders have access.

It was great that all the other Jets were in attendance and enjoyed Hawerchuk's honor. We should save that picture where Chipman is way to the right of Hawerchuk for when he introduces Ducky as new head coach.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Is my all time favourite Jet.

He was the right player drafted at the right time, for the city. The previous couple of draft picks had question marks.
Loved Babych, but will always wonder what Denis Savard or Coffey would have looked like in a Jets uniform, and Jimmy Mann was a bad pick, worsened with Michel Goulet going right after him. The team had just put up a 9 win season, was considered a joke of a team that was in dire need of a player to take them out of the cellars of the NHL.

His rookie season, notching 103 points and winning the Calder were memorable, as was his 84/85 season with 130 points. I always enjoyed watching him play for team Canada and in the All-Star games. We didn’t have any all-star players till We drafted Dale, and we got very little media coverage back then. Ducky put Winnipeg on the map, but he was very under rated player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad