Proposal: DAL-TOR-CHI

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Does the cost of retention depend on the AAV or actual dollars owed? IIRC, Marner is owed a hefty signing bonus and his actual salary for next season is around 800k. Suppose Leafs pay the signing bonus, does it really cost a 1st round pick to retain 50% if the salary is 800k? Especially to a team that needs help reaching the cap floor.
Just FYI, but the Hawks aren't going to have any problem hitting the cap floor.

And I'd be surprised if Dallas is interested in renting Marner for 1 year if it costs them a good young developing costs controller player (even if MM is at 50%).

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I think you are missing my point. For example if Anaheim acquires Marner and extends him at 11.5M then that sets the internal salary scale. As soon as one of their young players either out produces or comes close to Marner’s production, then you wind up with a problem. Same thing happened in Toronto, if Dubas hadn’t signed Tavares for 11M then Matthews and Marner wouldn’t have gotten their numbers.
And yet, that has never stopped teams from signing big name UFA's before

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Marner + RFA rights of Liljegren for Stankoven + Murphy + 5.7m of cap space is trash for the Leafs. Yeah Marner sucked again in playoffs, but still.
marner is only under contract for 1 season and then ufa, while murphy has 2 years left on his contract and stankoven has two more elc seasons and is under team control for a few more seasons.

cap space is a very valuable asset in today's nhl.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
marner is only under contract for 1 season and then ufa, while murphy has 2 years left on his contract and stankoven has two more elc seasons and is under team control for a few more seasons.

cap space is a very valuable asset in today's nhl.
So are players that put up 99 point seasons

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm not moving Stankoven for Marner. Two more years at an 800k cap hit for a guy that will be in our top 6 is worth more than what Marner will cost.

I like Marner, but he's not the kind player I'd give up a lot to add to my team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad