Confirmed Trade: [DAL/NYR] Nils Lundkvist for 1st 2023 top 10 Protected + Cond. 2025 3rd

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
Nils wasn't gonna get the playing time behind fox and trouba. Pleased they got a first for him. Hope he does well in Dallas. Maybe it works out for both teams.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Very talented young player who has looked great (in both ends of the ice).

Classic HF quickly crowning NYR the winners due to yet again, overrating a 1st round pick.
Remains to be seen but in this draft a pick in the top 11-15 range could be gold, whereas a pick in the 20-32 range could be as valuable as any other year. Could see this working out for both teams depending on how Dallas finishes the year

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I was definitely wrong here…Lundkvist has been very good.

Still a solid deal for the Rangers to push a top asset further down the development table since they have a great young defensive core . But Nils seems to be living up to the hype, albeit a year later on a different team.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
In the end, it really depends where that pick lands. At the time, I don't think it was crazy to think DAL was going to be on the bubble considering that's where they were the last 2 seasons and being on the bubble meant they could have given up a ~15th overall pick to NYR.

Now Dallas looks really good, the West mostly sucks and that means the Stars should easily get in, so far different if that pick is 25th overall or later.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
My preference was keep Nils, trade Jones, which has to be done anyway at some point soon to generate cap.
Glad he is succeeding and we got a properly good return for him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was definitely wrong here…Lundkvist has been very good.

Still a solid deal for the Rangers to push a top asset further down the development table since they have a great young defensive core . But Nils seems to be living up to the hype, albeit a year later on a different team.
Their right side is crowded. Ideally you get a young guy who is further along as it’s going to be a 5 year age difference. If Dallas makes the PO the earliest the pick will be is 17, and you’re going to wait 2 years since these kids would have lost development time in 20-21 due to lower age leagues shutting down during Covid.

He’s been better than I thought he would be given his performance in NY. Most canucks fans on our board were not happy seeing him as one of the main pieces in a possible Miller trade. Only leaks we heard were chytil, Nils and a first for Miller.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
In the end, it really depends where that pick lands. At the time, I don't think it was crazy to think DAL was going to be on the bubble considering that's where they were the last 2 seasons and being on the bubble meant they could have given up a ~15th overall pick to NYR.

Now Dallas looks really good, the West mostly sucks and that means the Stars should easily get in, so far different if that pick is 25th overall or later.
Well most people here didn't think much of Lundkvist. Teams missed the boat not offering a 1st round pick. This board was comparing Lundkvist to Martin Kaut and he wasn’t worth more than Joe Veleno.

The Rangers didn’t have room for Lundkvist with Fox on the roster. He was a late 1st round pick in 2018. The Rangers got good value for him.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I think it’s safe to call this a win/win trade for now. Rangers will get a good player from wherever they pick, or possibly use it in a trade to help them win now

Dallas fills Klingbergs spot with a young, cheap, RHD who hasn’t looked out place playing in a top 4 spot. With more ice time and experience Nils will get better. You can see him starting to take more chances now

Both teams should be happy imo

Reactions: egelband

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Classic HF quickly crowning NYR the winners due to yet again, overrating a 1st round pick.

It's also a bit early to say Dallas won the trade before we know what the picks turn into.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

... How do we know the first round pick's overrated before we even know who it is?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Still think Rangers are winners in that trade. Doesn't mean Dallas can't be winners too. Rangers played their card well on that one.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Who cares? We like the player we got so it doesn’t matter if nyr “win” the trade.
The person I quoted seemed to care who won the trade.

I never said Dallas wasn't very happy with Lundkvist or that he was not a good player (or even that Dallas wouldn't win the trade or it wouldn't be a win-win), so I'm not sure why you're lashing out.

Reactions: starsfan86

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I think it’s safe to call this a win/win trade for now. Rangers will get a good player from wherever they pick, or possibly use it in a trade to help them win now

Dallas fills Klingbergs spot with a young, cheap, RHD who hasn’t looked out place playing in a top 4 spot. With more ice time and experience Nils will get better. You can see him starting to take more chances now

Both teams should be happy imo

Based on what?

History shows us the first round is full of busts, so how does NYR guarantee 100% to get a good player?

Reactions: MBTendy

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

I think it's more no one felt Lundkvist with 20 games played had that kind of value. Dallas overpaid for the guy they wanted and got him and it's benefitting them now, how bad would it be if he wasn't though? Dallas are the exact team to make this risk since they've got a mix of young and middle-aged core players whose best prospects are not defensemen. Whoever they're drafting this year will likely never play with Lindell, Benn, Seguin, Pavelski, Hintz, etc.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
The person I quoted seemed to care who won the trade.

I never said Dallas wasn't very happy with Lundkvist or that he was not a good player (or even that Dallas wouldn't win the trade or it wouldn't be a win-win), so I'm not sure why you're lashing out.
I meant who cares in general, not
just towards you.

Reactions: Treb

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
My preference was keep Nils, trade Jones, which has to be done anyway at some point soon to generate cap.
Glad he is succeeding and we got a properly good return for him.
False. Jones is exempt from waivers. Sending him down clears his cap hit and allows us to bank more cap space.

But if anyone gets sent down, it's probably not Jones.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad