Value of: Dakota Joshua

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
What does the Vancouver fan base value Dakota Joshua trade value as?

Joshua is a late blooming forward who seems to be having a career year with the Canucks, Joshua is a hard working forward on the boards who hits everything and has been chipping in goals this season from the bottom of Vancouver’s lineup.

Could the Canucks capitalize on Joshua’s production and sell him via trade to the highest bidder at the deadline, if so what is Dakota Joshua’s worth?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I actually rather like Joshua. But, if we were offered a 3rd or something like that at the deadline by a contender that wanted an injection of toughness that can actually play hockey then sure, move him out.

If it’s a 5th? Meh… I’d probably keep him.

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
353.gif

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Basically same point per game as last season.
Actually -0.01 point less if it even matters that much. His goals per game went up from last season, but it doesn’t matter.

Joshua’s game is more about defensive play and physicality but he has shown the ability to add some secondary scoring from the 4th line, which could be valuable in its own right to a playoff team looking for forward depth.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Dakota Joshua & Conor Garland have elite chemistry together. If Joshua signs elsewhere, I doubt he has the same impact without Garland. That being said, he's a top-2 target for the Canucks to re-sign, so I doubt he goes anywhere unless a team offers him more than the Canucks feel is appropriate.

Reactions: sting101 and BCNate

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Maybe a 3 year deal, gives him a decent amount of change but also the chance for another decent sized deal when that's done. Or he could try for the Pierre Engvall kind of deal.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I wonder if he's the next Goodrow. I'd certainly be interested in him on the Habs, but not sure we'd be willing to pay the price to get him.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Highly doubt Canucks let him walk unless he wants to leave.

On one hand, not many players with size, physicality, scoring, and defensive ability like him. On the other, I don’t think he’s as effective away from Garland but that’s a different discussion.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Highly doubt Canucks let him walk unless he wants to leave.

On one hand, not many players with size, physicality, scoring, and defensive ability like him. On the other, I don’t think he’s as effective away from Garland but that’s a different discussion.
He might be looking at 4.5 million a year . Possibly more?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What's this guy gonna get paid in the offseason?

Have to think that having his big "breakout" season career year in a UFA year...and having a coveted skillset of "big and physical but can still score a bit"...he's going to be looking at guys like Marcus Foligno extension, Josh Anderson, Ross Colton, Blake Coleman type deal...with Jordan Greenway as the sort of absolute rock bottom end bracket.

So essentially...something in the ~$4M range. With the potential to range up toward $5M if he just wants to cash out the biggest payday.

He's a good bottom-6 winger and has tremendous chemistry with Conor Garland. But staring down the barrel of potentially $4M+ over long-term is pretty dicey with players like this at or around his age. They don't tend to age that gracefully and he's not the fleetest of foot to begin with. He's also still just more of a complementary, supporting piece, compared to a real bottom-6 line-driver like Garland.

As much as that element is so badly needed for the Canucks (and a host of other teams) I think there's a price point and term at which you have to fold and just look for other options. Hopefully, he just really wants to be part of something and loves the fit he's found in Vancouver...and just takes a bit of a "hometown discount" to stay in a great situation that's really working for him and the team. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad