Value of: Dakota Joshua next contract

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not sure what he gets. He's a weird type of UFA. He could get anywhere between 2M-4.5M per.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
19M/5 years (3.8M AAV), 17M/4 years (4.25M AAV), 21M/6 years (3.5M AAV)...something along those lines. Loosely used Nick Paul as a comparable, but Joshua being slightly older, I don't see him getting a seventh year.

Reactions: wintersej

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
He's been excelling in a third-line deployment role with Garland. I would be curious to see how he performs if he gets paid and deployed as a top-six winger. His production might go-up with more ice time, but he might also begin to see tougher matchups.

My guess is that Vancouver re-signs him. He feels like a candidate for one of those long-term/low-AAV type of contracts that are becoming trendy.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Overpayment from Buffalo. Whatever he should get, add a year and add $1.25M per.
He's the kind of player the Sabres are just dying for, isn't he?

You can't build a better candidate to get "overpaid" in the summer FA market - and I don't mean that as a slight - some team will be very happy with him even at a sticker price that may shock those unfamiliar with how he blossomed this year.

I definitely think this starts at 4x4 and likely goes up from there. And when he signs, the thread will be full of outrage about how much he is getting.

Reactions: sabresnyper

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Marchment might be a solid comparable but I think closer to 4 than 4.5, Marchment was coming off of a nearly point per game season.

I think he could also basically get the Goodrow contract. I'd guess either 4x4ish or 6x3.75ish. Hope Vancouver can find a way to get it done, he's a nice fit there

Reactions: Grantham

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
2 or 3 years ago, he was dominating the AHL playoffs. He was UFA right after and he signed a really low contract with the Canucks. I couldn't understand why no other team saw the obvious and didn't take a flyer on him.

I am not surprised he is a solid contributor at the NHL level. Good for him. I wish managers weren't so blind.

Reactions: cheesymc

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
2 or 3 years ago, he was dominating the AHL playoffs. He was UFA right after and he signed a really low contract with the Canucks. I couldn't understand why no other team saw the obvious and didn't take a flyer on him.

I am not surprised he is a solid contributor at the NHL level. Good for him. I wish managers weren't so blind.
I feel like we're seeing a lot more players find their footing between the ages of 25-28 than we used to, tends to be bigger guys too

Reactions: majormajor

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think a team will overpay... something like a 4x4m - 5m deal, or a top club will offer Nick Paul-like one for 6 years @ ~3.5 million.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I can see half the Gm's in the league bidding on this guy. He might top 5 million a year possibly on a shorter term deal.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
3.75M x 4 sounds about right. If he wants longer term security, the Nick Paul deal seems a good comparable.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Probably 4x4 or so, the real question is if he takes a bit less to stay in Vancouver so he can keep playing with Garland and Tocchet with a system he knows he can succeed in, or if he takes the money and runs.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Probably 4x4 or so, the real question is if he takes a bit less to stay in Vancouver so he can keep playing with Garland and Tocchet with a system he knows he can succeed in, or if he takes the money and runs.
Definitely hope it's the former.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad