Dahlin/Power vs Seider/Edvinsson

Who do you take?

• Total voters

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Both teams have a stud defence man currently playing in the NHL and arguably the two top defensive prospects outside of the NHL. Who do you take going forward?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Both teams have a stud defence man currently playing in the NHL and arguably the two top defensive prospects outside of the NHL. Who do you take going forward?
Recency bias but powers got a hat trick,

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I homer voted Detroit. I don’t think you can go wrong with either, honestly.

Dahlin hasn’t necessarily lived up to the hype, but when you’re hyped as a generational defenseman before you even play a game, that’s hard hype to live up to.

I kinda agree with the RHD/LHD sentiment Detroit has at their advantage though. If you’re down a goal in the last minute of an elimination game, going up against Seider/Edvinsson (What they’re projected to be anyways) would be a real bitch.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I went Detroit, super close for me though like 51-49 close.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is a great poll. 16-16 now. I voted Detroit out of stylistic preference but I really couldn't decide.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think you flip a coin between Power and Edvinsson. Power went first obviously but it was a weird draft, there was at least one team that had Edvinsson ranked ahead of Power and Edvinsson has been really good in Sweden, enough to say hes right there with Power anyways.

I wouldnt trade Seider for Dahlin though, not that it isnt close but just what Seider is doing this year is pretty wild. Seider is having a top ~10 season for dmen in the entire league if the season ended right now. I'm not saying he is top ~10 because you need to do it for a while and get a track record before you get that title, but hes that good right now. Hes doing it with an AHL calibre Dekeyser beside him too and playing hard matchups. Dahlin has that top 10 potential as well, so its not like it isnt close or anything but I dont really think Dahlin has played as well as Seider has this season in the NHL yet.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Now this is a great poll OP! I don't think I could fault someone for voting either way, it's really close as of now.

I think you flip a coin between Power and Edvinsson. Power went first obviously but it was a weird draft, there was at least one team that had Edvinsson ranked ahead of Power and Edvinsson has been really good in Sweden, enough to say hes right there with Power anyways.

I wouldnt trade Seider for Dahlin though, not that it isnt close but just what Seider is doing this year is pretty wild. Seider is having a top ~10 season for dmen in the entire league if the season ended right now. I'm not saying he is top ~10 because you need to do it for a while and get a track record before you get that title, but hes that good right now. Hes doing it with an AHL calibre Dekeyser beside him too and playing hard matchups. Dahlin has that top 10 potential as well, so its not like it isnt close or anything but I dont really think Dahlin has played as well as Seider has this season in the NHL yet.
I echo this pretty much completely, except I probably would take Edvinsson just a little more often than I would take Power if only because he's the more well-rounded player. I think Power might have a little more goal scoring his offensive game, but Edvinsson's passing (when it works) is elite. The tie breaker for me is that Edvinsson's defensive game and outlet passing are clearly ahead of Power and he's been having a Dahlin-esque season as a teenager against men, but with better defense... I was majorly off on him and it's a joke he was available at 6.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Seider > Dahlin
Edvinsson > Power

It's close though, especially the Edvinsson/Power comparison. Edvinsson is, however, one of the best Ds in the SHL and the best D on the third placed team which I think is more impressive than the NCAA.

Reactions: gucc

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Buffalo but I’m biased. The opinion shift on Seider is remarkable, but obviously warranted. Stevie Y is as good as Botterill was bad.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I lean towards the Detroit duo, but definitely close.

Dahlin is still young, and could very easily figure it out, but 4 years in, he's looked better than average, but not quite what was expected (though I won't fault him on that. Buffalo is a tire fire). Seider has definitely impressed from the jump, and actively looks to be one of the top players on his team. Realistically, it's tough to compare them seeing as one has ~30 games of NHL experience, and the other is in their 4th "full" season (2 covid shortened seasons, but was up for the full time).

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
Detroit, as of now. I don't profess to an informed opinion on Power vs Edvinsson, but Dahlin is hovering over bust territory with a shot tail rotor and is in danger of going down. I'm rooting for the kid to turn it around, but the Seider vs Dahlin comparison tips this in Detroit's favour.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Detroit, as of now. I don't profess to an informed opinion on Power vs Edvinsson, but Dahlin is hovering over bust territory with a shot tail rotor and is in danger of going down. I'm rooting for the kid to turn it around, but the Seider vs Dahlin comparison tips this in Detroit's favour.

Dahlin is currently pacing for 50 points season. How exactly is this bust territory?
For reference there was 13 50+points D in last full NHL season.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Dahlin is currently pacing for 50 points season. How exactly is this bust territory?
For reference there was 13 50+points D in last full NHL season.

FWIW scoring across the league has skyrocketed since the last full season. There's something like 25 defenders on a 50P pace right now.

But yeah, calling Dahlin a bust or on his way to being a bust is way overboard. He's not lived up to the hype of being the best defensive prospect in 40 years, but that was probably unfair expectations to put on an 18 year old.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
This is a well thought out poll. The Wings’ two are both less sullied than the Sabres’ counterparts, yet the Sabres duo are first overalls.

Saucy.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
FWIW scoring across the league has skyrocketed since the last full season. There's something like 25 defenders on a 50P pace right now.

But yeah, calling Dahlin a bust or on his way to being a bust is way overboard. He's not lived up to the hype of being the best defensive prospect in 40 years, but that was probably unfair expectations to put on an 18 year old.

It didn't , its actually little lower than in 18/19. It's matter of smaller sample size.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Detroit because Detroit is run by people who actually know what they are doing and won't hinder the development of their future stud D men

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dahlin - Power for me, but it's close.

I think Dahlin if can improve his defensive game, it will be less close. But even if he can't I feel like that duo will have so much firepower (and Power seems to be pretty solid defensively) that they'll end up better.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I’ll go,Detroit duo, but for a reason not mentioned. 1st overall d men get paid big time even if they are not meeting expectations. Where as seider and edvinsson both top 10 picks with competent manage,eat will get them at a much better AAv

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Yzerman is a genius. Detroit gets my vote. Buffalo could/should have traded down and picked up some extra pieces especially knowing that Eichel wanted out. Power is good but Edvinsson looks like a more polished and better overall player who was a steal at #6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad