Confirmed with Link: Dadonov traded for Shea Weber.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

Weber unsigned for next season, so VGK can let him walk

What? Do you mean in the 2026 offseason? Weber has 4 years of ~7.9M/yr remaining.

So Las Vegas is going to spend every penny of the cap, maxing out over w/ LTIR. This move confirms that Weber is officially effectively retired.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Weber unsigned for next season, so VGK can let him walk
Weber is signed through 2025-2026 @ 7.9M.

What the hell are they doing? LTIR wil disable the team from banking salary cap again.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

What the hell are they doing? LTIR wil disable the team from banking salary cap again.

Golden Knights can presumably move Weber in the future (ex. Arizone, Buffalo for phantom cap usage), much like Pronger. This was a fast cap fix for next year.

Reactions: RapidKnight

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Weird but not a terrible move imo. Weber is owed 3 million this year and only 1 million the next 3. I don’t except us to clear enough cap to bank cap this year and that’s actually an attractive contract for any cheap owners in the near future.

Reactions: frozenrubber

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
What a worthless way to shave 5 mil off the cap. With the way Canadiens trades have been with Vegas, Dadanov will crack the 30 goal mark for the first time in his career. There's other guys I would have hoped to trade in the 5 million plus range before Dadanov

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
What a worthless way to shave 5 mil off the cap. With the way Canadiens trades have been with Vegas, Dadanov will crack the 30 goal mark for the first time in his career
Yeah the Habs just need to make a trade and then a Suzuki/Tatar/Daddy line will go bonkers. And they will still finish about 4 spots out of the playoffs.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Golden Knights can presumably move Weber in the future (ex. Arizone, Buffalo for phantom cap usage), much like Pronger. This was a fast cap fix for next year.
It is a fast cap fix for next year IF they have a taker for him. And it's cutting muscle instead of fat. It escapes me why the mcgms hate Dadonov, he did nothing but contribute. But I get it, you wanna get rid of him. Trade him for a future consideration instead of an ltir anchor you hope to unload.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It is a fast cap fix for next year IF they have a taker for him. And it's cutting muscle instead of fat. It escapes me why the mcgms hate Dadonov, he did nothing but contribute. But I get it, you wanna get rid of him. Trade him for a future consideration instead of an ltir anchor you hope to unload.
Other teams have used permanent LTIR guys for cap management, I don't get why you think he's an asset that gets traded anytime soon. He's an option for a trade in the future as the cap goes up and his actual cost goes down to $1m per year, but I doubt he's moved anytime this season.

Maybe Daddy deserves a little more respect, but he's still overpaid for cost and that makes him a target. He was worth the money back when he played with the Panthers, but now he's a one-dimensional winger who probably would have been heading back to Russia after next season if things didn't blow up over there.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

They're copying Tampa getting Seabrook. 1 more year and 1 more mil, but yeah.

While getting rid of Dadonov to boot.

Before the TDL he didn't contribute.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
I liked Dadonov and I think we will miss what he brings to the table especially his speed. But I think this is a good trade considering everyone excepted us to have to package an asset to move his contract.

Reactions: Vegas07

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Did they check to see that the Habs weren't on his no trade this time?
Imagine a guy who doesn't want to go to play in Orange County, but is willing to go to Montreal. I know taxes are high in California but they are even higher in Quebec.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Dadonov refused to go to a team that might have a small chance at the playoffs next season, but is willing to go to a team that is probably going to end up with another top 5 pick?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Dadonov refused to go to a team that might have a small chance at the playoffs next season, but is willing to go to a team that is probably going to end up with another top 5 pick?

Important to note Dadonov's NTC list is from last summer. So it would make sense why Anaheim was on it and Montreal was not. Also probably why the trade happened now and not in a few weeks once the offseason starts.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't see how they could do better getting rid of Dadonov and the cap hit.

The Weber LTIR doesn't do anything to us this year and will most likely be easily tradeable next year when there will be a 6.857 million dollar difference between his actual salary and his cap hit. Arizona in a 4500 seat arena for three years or four years would love to save 6 million dollars every year until they get a bigger arena.

We were going to spend to the cap to keep as much of the roster as we could anyway so banking cap space wasn't really on the cards this year regardless.

Reactions: Vegas07

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Still need at least two moves.

Brossoit for nothing is obvious. Sort of telling the two acquisitions made last season they're just trying to dump this year.

The other move could be Pacioretty alone. Or it has to be Martinez or Lehner but neither of them would be enough so possibly something like Carrier and Patrick would need to be off the books also.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00