D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I feel I heard this for Ho-Sang, Shinkaruk, Anthony DeAngelo, and Sean Day etc. They still haven't proven those people correct.
I agree with them saying that Merkley is very very talented, but I don't think he will help his team in the winning department. Even if he becomes a full time nhler, his attitude problems and blaming other teammates is just going to tear a team apart. Getting along with your teammates is a lot more important than people think.

His defensive instincts will also lead him to have a very negative +/- which hurts your team.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Than Day, for sure (but he slipped to the third). But, all those guys had legit NHL talent, and are squandering it or have squandered it by just not getting it. Even if some of these guys eventually get it, its usually not to the benefit of the team that drafted them.

I'd say DeAngelo was actually better in the OHL. He had anger issues, but he actually competed and played defense, something Merkley decides is worth his time once every 10 to 15 games.
DeAngelo is definitely the closest, but he had a shit ton of issues which was obvious from the get go. I don't see the same multiple issues with Merkley and I personally find him better than Deangelo in the OHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
DeAngelo is definitely the closest, but he had a **** ton of issues which was obvious from the get go. I don't see the same multiple issues with Merkley and I personally find him better than Deangelo in the OHL.
DeAngelo has anger issues, but he always competed on the ice and was solid in that regard. Merkley while not dumb enough to use racial slurs, is an equally divisive teammate and is less receptive to coaching. Merkley is a guy you love on the highlight reels or gifs that go to twitter and looking at the stat sheet. He isn't really an elite offensive player unless he's on the PP, and go see how the Guelph board talks about him and those people have watched him like 100 times over 2 years.

Reactions: Frk It

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
DeAngelo has anger issues, but he always competed on the ice and was solid in that regard. Merkley while not dumb enough to use racial slurs, is an equally divisive teammate and is less receptive to coaching. Merkley is a guy you love on the highlight reels or gifs that go to twitter and looking at the stat sheet. He isn't really an elite offensive player unless he's on the PP, and go see how the Guelph board talks about him and those people have watched him like 100 times over 2 years.
The Guelph board HATES this kid.

Very telling.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It’s sad, to be honest. Kid is so gifted. Honestly might be the best skating 17 year old defenseman I’ve ever seen.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Case in point:
Was busy last night and missed the game but looking at the highlights Merkley was absolutely brutal once again. How do you not give 100% every shift in a playoff game? :huh::help:

I know that this team only has 16 players right now but I wish they would just bench Merkley. He has always been a detriment to this team. He is a lazy, self absorbed player who has never been nor will ever be a team player. He is all about himself. If he's not the star player, the centre of attention then he pouts. He reminds me of a 2 year old taking a temper tantrum when things don't go his way. I'm sorry but I think the best thing for this team is to just move him on. Please don't say he's just a teenager trying to find his way, at this stage he knows what's expected of him, and how to get it done. Pardon the pun but he can't just expect to skate through life getting what he wants off a silver platter.

Its like every time Merkley is on the ice Guelph is in a special teams situation- on the rare occasions he is good its like we have a power play man advantage, but unfortunately most of the time its like we are on the penalty kill down a man. Whoever is partnered with him on defence has to play like he's not there, because often he isn't.
But to suggest anything can change at this stage of the year, or for playoffs, is wishful thinking.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I agree with them saying that Merkley is very very talented, but I don't think he will help his team in the winning department

His talent level is very overstated. He's not particularly dynamic at all in open ice, doesn't pick up speed well nor is he particularly elusive as a guy who's game should revolve around being a high-end PMD. His compete level in general, and particularly on defense is somewhere between comical or lackadaisical. His best usage is on the PP, and his best skill is his "fake slap pass" to get a high/low deflection. He also jumps into shooting lanes well on the PP, and finds gaps well for his teammates if a lane opens up for them.

I may seem overly critical of him but I can look beyond his attitude, compete, simply remarking on this illusion of skill/talent....just think people that point to the fact he's a top 5 talent, or anything to the effect has not seen him play this year (not saying you have done that).

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
His talent level is very overstated. He's not particularly dynamic at all in open ice, doesn't pick up speed well nor is he particularly elusive as a guy who's game should revolve around being a high-end PMD. His compete level in general, and particularly on defense is somewhere between comical or lackadaisical. His best usage is on the PP, and his best skill is his "fake slap pass" to get a high/low deflection. He also jumps into shooting lanes well on the PP, and finds gaps well for his teammates if a lane opens up for them.

I may seem overly critical of him but I can look beyond his attitude, compete, simply remarking on this illusion of skill/talent....just think people that point to the fact he's a top 5 talent, or anything to the effect has not seen him play this year (not saying you have done that).
I have seen him play from lots of highlight videos and game by game videos. I agree with most of what you are saying, but I think if he had the right attitude towards things and actually improved his play in his own end and wasn't a negative nancy he would be a top 15 or possibly top 10 talent. I think his best chance of becoming a successful nhler is if he transitions to a forward position.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Not particularly elusive? I don’t know if I’ve ever disagreed with anything more. He skates like he’s in a video game.

How many guys can do this?

Reactions: CanuckCity

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not particularly elusive? I don’t know if I’ve ever disagreed with anything more. He skates like he’s in a video game.

He is elusive, but he also skates in to traffic way more times than he doesn't when he tries this stuff.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

I don't think 1 clip changes that thought, when I say that he's not elusive- I'm mainly referring to his sustained play through the neutral zone and break-out ability under pressure and it's mostly under the guise of the expectations drawn onto him (i.e. top 5-10 talent in the draft).

I should mention, I was drawn into Merkley early on (I thought he looked like Subban at one point, that's mostly projecting what he can become, very early on) but the more you watch him, the more you may be underwhelmed. I don't think it's overscouting either as there are parts to his game that are concerning.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is elusive, but he also skates in to traffic way more times than he doesn't when he tries this stuff.

True, but his ability to explode laterally... would you not say that’s elite?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Yeah, his top speed is good but not great. He has crazy edge work.

So what would be the earliest that you'd be willing to spend a draft pick on taking Merkley if he slips? Early 2nd? Late 2nd? 3rd round? Or is he a solid DND for you?

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
So what would be the earliest that you'd be willing to spend a draft pick on taking Merkley if he slips? Early 2nd? Late 2nd? 3rd round? Or is he a solid DND for you?
For me, if I were running a team and had multiple picks between 20-35, and needed a PMD, it's worth the risk. Otherwise, if I needed to make a safer pick in that slot, like a middle 6 or second pair defense, I go a different route

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
For me, if I were running a team and had multiple picks between 20-35, and needed a PMD, it's worth the risk. Otherwise, if I needed to make a safer pick in that slot, like a middle 6 or second pair defense, I go a different route

Yeah, pretty much the reason I asked. Habs have 4 2nd round picks this draft and are starved for PMD. If he slipped to late 2nd round, I'd be inclined to use Toronto or Washington's pick to select him. Roll the dice.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Yeah, pretty much the reason I asked. Habs have 4 2nd round picks this draft and are starved for PMD. If he slipped to late 2nd round, I'd be inclined to use Toronto or Washington's pick to select him. Roll the dice.
Yeah same. I'm not a fan of Merkley- he's clueless in his own end, but in the second round you may as well take the chance he matures

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
3rd, which means I likely won't get him. I wouldn't draft him in a spot I'd feel required to justify giving him an ELC. I'd make him earn it, and the earliest I'd be comfortable doing that is in the 3rd.

Reactions: Castle8130

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
He is all over the map as far as I can see, so let's suppose it is DRAFT DAY, JUNE 2018!

Man/woman up and give your prediction as to what round/# he goes!

Rules:

1) You can't change it - once you've posted, stick with it:)

2) You can have the same as someone else

3) Give at least ONE reason for your choice

Thanks to johum7 and Habs76 for patiently guiding me on how to create a thread...

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
MY PREDICTION:

Someone bites the bullet, and he goes #27!!

Reason: he's just got too much talent to wait until second round, but too many question marks for people to take in the top 20...

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
1st round/#25
Not saying he is worth this spot, but I think at least one team will have him listed in the top 20 in their selections. I have seen some lists that have him in the top 15 from some good critics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad