D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is Dahlin's main challenger IMO. Kid has silky smooth hands and is a crazy good skater. His awareness and vision is remarkable.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
drew doughty ?
Karlsson-esque. Reminds me of Ryan Murphy also, which is a bit scary. Merkley hopefully can fill out a bit more and maybe grow an inch or two. He has all the tools to be a dynamic NHL defenceman, the question is how will his defensive game evolve. Hard to judge a 16-year-old on a weak team in this regard.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would kill for the Leafs to somehow get him. It makes too much sense.
Let me preface this by saying I would love to get him in our system. But, I don't think he really fits what we need. He'd be a better version of what we already have in regards to offensive d, particularly on the right side. But, we need more of a Jacob Trouba or Erik Johnson who are big shut-down RHD, with a capable 2-way game. For these reason's I find some of our fanbases fixation with Liljegren a bit comical

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Let me preface this by saying I would love to get him in our system. But, I don't think he really fits what we need. He'd be a better version of what we already have in regards to offensive d, particularly on the right side. But, we need more of a Jacob Trouba or Erik Johnson who are big shut-down RHD, with a capable 2-way game. For these reason's I find some of our fanbases fixation with Liljegren a bit comical

I see no problem with that. The Leafs are already one of the fastest teams in the NHL. Shutdown guys seem to be easier to trade for (think Tanev versus the next best comparable who puts up more points). A talent like Merkley who already shows immense offensive potential could also be taught defence (given his hockey IQ). I was higher on Liljegren months ago, but as the draft has been developing, I've moved away. Mittelstadt is my current favourite prospect of the bunch and I think we have a great chance of getting him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Leafs would be better off drafting Foote this year to fill that void. He's not the best skater around but neither is Trouba. He excels in his own zone and in transition. A true shut down defencemen. He's not the greatest on the rush but he has a bomb of a slapper and is a good passer. His ceiling is probably a Weber type defencemen. Worth the gamble if you're in the 10ish range of the draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Leafs would be better off drafting Foote this year to fill that void. He's not the best skater around but neither is Trouba. He excels in his own zone and in transition. A true shut down defencemen. He's not the greatest on the rush but he has a bomb of a slapper and is a good passer. His ceiling is probably a Weber type defencemen. Worth the gamble if you're in the 10ish range of the draft.
Yeah, I'd be fine with him around 10. I project Foote as guy who is likely to be a Braydon Coburn type player, but obviously has a wide-range around that he could end up in.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Wow this goal is insane ! One of my friends coach at summer camp team Canada and tell me that Merkley was not the best , Addison was better at is eye

What do you think? Never se Merkley in real just in video and i'm very excited about this skillz package .

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Calen Addison is amazing as well, they are similar players. I can't get over that goal though, too sick. The OHL will be child's play for him in 2 years

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
looks a lot like Anthony DeAngelo, really good offensive instincts and can really wheel around the ice.

abeard14

Sep 28, 2016
Cleveland
So is he any good at defense? Cause that's some absurd hands for a defensemen, if he can play defense he can be a superstar.

That goal was absolutely dirty, skates exactly like Anthony DeAngelo. He's a first rounder if I've ever seen one. Had the pleasure of playing against him last year and boy did he break my ankles. Was chasing him behind the net when he did a simple little spin move that sent me flying past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad