D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What are the factual things he did wrong which illustrate his lack of maturity?
The stories will never get fully reported, similar to Ho-Sang.

Story going around for this one is fighting two separate teammates and just all around ignoring Burnett most of the year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The stories will never get fully reported, similar to Ho-Sang.

Story going around for this one is fighting two separate teammates and just all around ignoring Burnett most of the year.

Merkley is a talented kid, and not that I have reason to doubt you as a poster, but you are the only one posting about these issues, and quite a bit. Is there any other source of similar comments about his attitude issues that I can read about?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Merkley is a talented kid, and not that I have reason to doubt you as a poster, but you are the only one posting about these issues, and quite a bit. Is there any other source of similar comments about his attitude issues that I can read about?
Bob went on record of him having attitude issues in his latest draft rankings

Welcome to the Rasmus Dahlin Draft - Article - TSN

One other intriguing storyline this year is that of No. 11 ranked Ryan Merkley of the Guelph Storm. The first-overall pick in his OHL draft year, Merkley is easily one of the most skilled, dynamic and talented players available in this draft. Top five in natural ability. A pure offensive defenceman who plays a high-risk, high-reward style, Merkley has, however, been flagged by NHL scouts as temperamental and a potential problem child with a questionable attitude. Either that or he’s the draft’s most misunderstood prospect.

Merkley’s stock has plummeted on a number of scouting service listings and rankings - NHL Central Scouting Bureau slotted him way down at No. 21 on the North American list - but his relatively strong showing at No. 11 on the European-North American composite TSN list is more a reflection of the scouts we surveyed ranking him, for now, on ability over attitude.

Its mentioned on The Athletic. Here from Pronman.

Pronman: Standouts from CHL, CJHL, USHL top prospect games

He’s a problem defensively, he’s a tough kid to deal with, he turns the puck over a lot etc. etc. But I can count the number of players with his hockey brain in this draft on one hand, and I won’t need the whole hand.

From Scott Wheeler of The Athletic

There are legitimate concerns, expressed by his own team and others, about Merkley's attitude, his commitment to defence, and the way he treats his teammates.

This is way looser but hints at things

30. Ryan Merkley, D, six-foot, 170 pounds (Guelph Storm, OHL): Most polarizing figure in this draft — he’s a top-10 talent, but talent alone doesn’t get you by like it used to.

I may have posted stuff before it became public knowledge (as I said there were issues in the summer), but Bob said this should give it validity.

And, if you want to see more, just go check out the Storms page on this site, and see how they talk about him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Thank you. Babcock is all about effort and attitude, I can't see him wanting anywhere near this kid.

Found this too.

OHL Prospects

7. Ryan Merkley - Defense - Guelph Storm
Total Votes: 17
High/Low Ranking: 2nd (2x)/Outside of the Top 10 (1x)
Comments:
“Elite vision, great skater, great skill. That's one heck of a package offensively. I get the warts there, and those warts look very bad some nights, but if he gets past 10 that's a lot of ceiling on the table. He's much smarter in my opinion than past dynamos like Murphy and DeAngelo.” - Anonymous

“There are real concerns about Merkley’s defensive play, his approach with his teammates, and his commitment, but I’m told he has taken steps in all of those areas and his offensive gifts are so far ahead of pretty well any defender in this class not named Dahlin that I still think he deserves to narrowly be at No. 2 ahead of Bouchard.” - Anonymous

“Merkley obviously has elite offensive talents with the puck. His dynamic skating with the puck and the way he bobs and weaves his way to the net, making defenders look silly along the way will definitely cause some GM’s to salivate. What might cause some sobering up is Merkley’s weaknesses on the defensive side of the puck and occasional selfish play with the puck. If Merkley wants to stop his slide down the draft rankings he will need to show significant growth in working with his teammates and reducing the amount of risk he takes when breaking out or transitioning the puck.” - Dylan Galloway

“A world class skater with world class offensive abilities. If I am down a goal in the last minute, Merkley would be the first player I would send over the boards. There have been doubts about his defensive game and some question whether he cares to put the effort in the d-zone. Sometimes you can question his reactions in certain situations. I just don't see the improvement I was looking for from him. If I was up a goal protecting the lead in the last minute of a game, I would be looking at my other 5 defencemen first. And therein lies the difference for me between Merkley, Sandin and Bouchard. I would have no issue with the latter two in any situation, but I can't say the same for Merkley. I am not sure I would use a top-20 pick on Merkley when I am not sure his offensive game would outweigh the defensive liabilities at the NHL level.” - Dominic Tiano

"Every draft seems to have one of these right? A guy who has limitless potential, and talent but also the ability to deliver self inflicted wounds. Merkley is the easiest guy to break down in terms of strengths and weaknesses. The skating and the offensive ingenuity are without question elite and he can QB a PP. The defensive disasters and mercurial temperament are also obvious. He's caught up ice at times, and makes some baffling decisions. Plus, there's the fact he played Paul Bunyon and took a whack at someone and got a three game suspension. The comparable? There's a little Tony DeAngelo in him, a 1st round draftee but on his third team already." - Steve Clark

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Ive seen enough of Merkley during his years with the Storm to know a few things:

When a play doesnt work out he often gives up on it. He will pinch down low, throw a pass through the crease that doesnt turn out and instead of busting his butt back, he sulks and watches the play. Similarly, if a teammate misses a pass he gives, he lets up as well. Drops his shoulders in defeat and barely skates. This has been consistent.

His offensive talents are high calibre. It likely hurts him being on such a young team with others who make mistakes. His true numbers will not relfect where they could. His skating is smooth and silky. With these type of talents you'd have expected a team in OHL contention to take a stab at him to load up for the playoff push - no one did, should be a telling sign of his attitude and temperament.

Im not sure he ever makes the NHL but his closest comparable for me is a Ryan Ellis with much worse attitude and better skating. Small, PP QB who can skate like the wind but sucks defensively. Ellis may not be bad defensively, but size and skill set match up well.

As a Kings fan I hope they go nowhere near this guy.

Reactions: John Pedro

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Just watching Merkley's skating though, it's mesmerizing. I seriously don't think I've seen anything like it. Figure skater-esque.

Closest I can think of is if Jeff Skinner were a defenseman.

No idea how he'll turn out, but he has some otherworldly abilities.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Sean Day of this draft. Either he busts hard, or he grows up and becomes a solid NHL'er.
I think he's closer to Ho-Sang in that regard. I think he's more skilled than Day was. Day was just a big guy with elite skating, closer to John Moore, but with a bad work ethic. Merkley probably has better raw tools when looking at his skating and vision. Ho-Sang had similar off the ice issues and also played an extremely selfish game on the ice.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I wouldn’t mind if the leafs took him in the 2nd round. Given the apparent attitude issues and being under sized as D I don’t think its out of the question that he could fall that far. It’s not very often a player that talented is available that late in the draft and I’d take a shot at his upside. Between Lou, Babcock and the other young and extremely talented players in the organization they probably have as good a chance as anyone to get him to buy in.

Besides a 3c, I don’t see any sense in drafting guys who project to be bottom 6 or bottom pair. Especially in the first couplw of rounds. Might as well roll the dice on a guy who has legitimate top 4 and pp QB potential. Even if he turned into a #5 or 6 D that they could put out with a more stable guy like Borgman for 10 Mins of 5vs5 and then PP time, in the late 2nd it’s a risk I’d take.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I'd rather bet on a guy with world-class talent but some (lack of) effort problems than a guy that tries really hard but lacks the talent. I haven't watched this kid play, but since last year he's been pretty impressive in term of points. I'll be thrilled if the Devils end up drafting this kid with our 1st round pick.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ryan Murphy/Tony DeAngelo are the obvious comparables for me. DeAngelo already on team 3, EASY to see that happening able in Merkley's future.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Ryan Murphy/Tony DeAngelo are the obvious comparables for me. DeAngelo already on team 3, EASY to see that happening able in Merkley's future.

Based on what others are saying, DeAngelo seems like the most logical comparison. He fell, but not that far in the draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Based on what others are saying, DeAngelo seems like the most logical comparison. He fell, but not that far in the draft.
And was traded for a pick 18 spots later less than 2 years after being drafted. I don't think that was a positive move for the Lightning.

I'd say its closer to Ho-Sang to be honest. DeAngelo had serious anger issues, but didn't show the lack of caring on-ice which Merkley and Ho-Sang continually do.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
And was traded for a pick 18 spots later less than 2 years after being drafted. I don't think that was a positive move for the Lightning.

He is on his third team early in his career, so it seems that his issues have continued to follow him. Perhaps teams look at DeAngelo compared to Merkley and he falls further. It is difficult for me to see him falling much past the 18-20 pick range. There will be a sweet spot in the draft for teams where the upside potential outweighs the risk.

Reactions: schnapshot

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is on his third team early in his career, so it seems that his issues have continued to follow him. Perhaps teams look at DeAngelo compared to Merkley and he falls further. It is difficult for me to see him falling much past the 18-20 pick range. There will be a sweet spot in the draft for teams where the upside potential outweighs the risk.
Maybe, all it takes is one team. A bunch of teams will have him as a no-draft. Which led Ho-Sang to almost slip to the 2nd.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Guy takes a two-handed shot like that on my hands from behind gets a two-hander right back. Notice on the back of the legs though.

Reactions: 99664987

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Maybe it's just me, but I find Merkley far more talented than all of those guys.
Than Day, for sure (but he slipped to the third). But, all those guys had legit NHL talent, and are squandering it or have squandered it by just not getting it. Even if some of these guys eventually get it, its usually not to the benefit of the team that drafted them.

I'd say DeAngelo was actually better in the OHL. He had anger issues, but he actually competed and played defense, something Merkley decides is worth his time once every 10 to 15 games.

Reactions: Buchnevich89
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad