D Rodwin Dionicio - Niagara IceDogs, OHL (2023, 129th, ANA)

Eastern Switzerland

Aug 31, 2021
-3 in po with 17 points. Still unsigned...
-3 is a number that also has background:

Dionicio was on the ice for many Saginaw empty net passes

Soo Game 4 -1
London Game 1 -1
London Game 2 -1
London Game 4 -2

and points in the power play are not included (1 ppg / 4 ppa)

Dionicio wants to develop further in Europe (or at least have the option). That's why there is no contract with the Ducks at the moment.

greetings from Switzerland

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

Soo Game 4 -1
London Game 1 -1
London Game 2 -1
London Game 4 -2

Dionicio wants to develop further in Europe (or at least have the option). That's why there is no contract with the Ducks at the moment.

Anyway, if hé was pick so late, its because its défensive play. Anaheim could sign him and Loan him. Its not an argue.

I repeat that i contest thé exceptionnel talent. It was thé subject.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think Anaheim has to be very pleased with the progress Dionicio has made over the past year. What more could they have expected from a 5th round pick? As such, it doesn't make sense that they've no interest in ultimately signing him if he keeps progressing. But, as others have said, they aren't in a rush and own his rights for at least another year. The fact that he hasn't signed yet means very little IMO.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018

Soo Game 4 -1
London Game 1 -1
London Game 2 -1
London Game 4 -2

Your points are valid but at this point I think we're feeding the troll.

Reactions: Hinterland

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Your points are valid but at this point I think we're feeding the troll.
Literally.

"Dionicio's defense has improved a ton since being traded to Saginaw and in the playoffs he is bearing a large load of responsibility and playing on the PK, he has vastly improved his play without the puck and is capable of handling OHL level forwards and rushes, as well as defending against the forecheck and clearing the crease. He still needs to work on several aspects of his game (skating, especially backwards, and strength when having the puck) but he is no longer a complete liability defensively and his offense and puck possession make him a plus player at both ends of the ice. He's no longer the player he was when he was drafted or came over to play for Niagara"

"Dionicio's defense sucks, he will never make the NHL and NHL teams care more about defense than offense so he won't even get a contract. He was picked in the 5th because of his defensive play and Donavan is a better defender than he is, and he is the worst defender on Saginaw. He has -3 even with 17 points so his defense still sucks and he is the same player he was, and he will never be an elite talent."

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
German Spitfire : Anyone else get Brent Burns vibes from him ?

Hinterland : Brent Burns isn't far off but I see more of PK Subban in Dionicio. Not sure Dionicio's shot will ever be as hard as Subban's but he's just as electric with the puck on his stick and just as inconsistent against the puck. Both of them can hit like trucks but aren't known as volume hitters. Both of them also tend to do dangerous stupid/dirty stuff at times.

Burns is a good comparison as well but he's both much bigger and softer than Dionicio.

German Spitfire : The more I re-watch the highs of Dionicio, the more I am appreciating his game, the lows are low, sure but man if Dionicio hits, he could be a star in the NHL.

Me : This site... Always a guy to predict things no NHL scout sees.

I read a whole bunch of improbable names but there Rodwin Dionico like the Swiss Brent Burns, the bar is very high.

1 month later, selected 5th Round...

Weird take. Some talks about "vibes" and you equate that to "is" Brent Burns. And then that poster clarifies that "vibe" talk with, "The more I re-watch the highs of Dionicio, the more I am appreciating his game, the lows are low, sure but man if Dionicio hits, he could be a star in the NHL."

Hence, the poster identifies there are negatives in his game and proposes Dionicio could be a star with the qualification of "if" he hits - implying should several things improve to that point. Oddly enough, that is every prospect.

People can be hyped up for 5th rounders. Scouts can be hype up for 5th or 6th rounders. Anaheim scouts were hyped to have traded back into the 6th round of the 2011 draft to select D Josh Manson. They begged their GM to draft Manson even though Anaheim didn't have a 6th or 7th round pick. I'd love, love, love for you to argue with the Anaheim scouting staff about their fervor for D Josh Manson.

It is kinda disturbing that you're stuck on static evals, not believing prospects can improve over time. Then your take on basic stats, not realizing things should be taken into context to have a more accurate representation. One of those contexts is that the regular season is different from post season play; deployments and minutes become different between regular season and post season play.

• Playoffs
    • C/RW Haight: 13 pts and -3 rating
      PP points: 1g + 4a = 5 PP pts
      2022 Rd 2 pick, 47th OA, by Wild; signed
    • D Dionicio: 17 pts and -3 rating
      2023 Rd 5 pick D+1 overager by Ducks; unsigned
    • C Beck: 14 pts and -3 rating
      2022 Rd 2 pick, 33rd OA, by Habs; signed
    • C Sapovaliv: 9 pts and -5 rating
      2022 Rd 2 pick, 48th OA, by Vegas; signed
    Added bonus
    • D Parekh: 11 pts and +0 rating
      PP points: 1g + 1a = 2 PP pts
      projected to be a top-12 pick in 2024 draft

Are all those 2022 2nd rounders a waste of a pick too? Is Parekh's top-end offense, considered to be a top-12 selection, considered not so top-end? Or maybe the coaching staff had a preference of who to put out on the ice against opposing team's top players during the playoffs?

OHL Western Conference Standings, Reg Season
1. London: 104 pts; GF = 322, GA = 197 (Best offense and defense in the Western Conf.)
2. Saginaw: 102 pts; GF = 303, GA = 215
3. Soo: 95 pts; GF = 286, GA = 215
7. Owen Sound: 67 pts; GF = 246, GA = 274

• Playoffs
    • Dionicio's production per round
      Rd 1, vs Owen Sound (4 games): 2g + 1a = 3 pts and +1 rating
      Rd 2, vs Soo (7 games): 1g + 4a = 5 pts and +2 rating
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 2g + 7a = 9 pts and -6 rating
    • Beck
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 2g + 2a = 4 pts and -5 rating
    • Haight
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 5g + 2a = 7 pts and -5 rating
    • Sapovaliv
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 0g + 2a = 2 pts and -7 rating
    • Parekh
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 0g + 3a = 3 pts and -4 rating

Saginaw ran into the best team in the West in London, who was resting as they won their 2nd round in a sweep. It appears the London series is what took out Saginaw hard in a 4-2 series loss. It's crazy what one can deduct when they go beyond the summary of playoff stats, using basic stats.

Now, onto signing or not signing prospects. Under new GM Verbeek, Anaheim has done some odd things.

• C/RW Ben King is a 2022 D+1 overager prospect drafted in the 4th round. This past season, he played in the AHL without a contract. He was the Gulls 2nd highest, rookie scorer with 15g + 15a and highest rookie goal scorer. He remains unsigned.
  • C/LW Hvidston is a 5th round pick of the 2022 draft. He remains unsigned, but GM Verbeek has said he is expecting Hvidston next season in the AHL.
  • 2019, 2nd round pick RW Colangelo has a wonderful year in the NCAA that should have prompted an automatic current ELC after his season had ended or he walks as a free agent. Instead, the GM made him play in the AHL on an ATO for four games, where he scored 1g + 3a. Only after that 4 game AHL stint did Verbeek signed him to a current ELC to play in 3 NHL games, scoring a goal.

If Colangelo's NCAA career didn't finish early in the NCAA Tourney, then who knows what BS GM Verbeek would have pulled that might have caused Colangelo to go through the FA route instead of signing with the Ducks.

With Dionicio going across the pond, the Ducks still own his rights and don't need to sign him today. This is similar to Ben King. King was too old to stay in the CHL and could go to the AHL, but the Ducks didn't sign him. King signed to an AHL contract, but the Ducks still own his rights. If King isn't signed by Jun 1, 2024, then the Ducks lose his rights. We'll see how this pans out. If King is signed before Jun 1, then it reaffirms how odd Ducks' GM runs things.

As of right now, Dionicio is Ducks' property and can still be used as draft capital without being signed. There are a lot of LHD in front of Dionicio (Mintyukov, Zellweger, LaCombe, Vaak, and Hinds). Dionicio has raised his stock as a 5th round and if he continues to develop across the pond, then that makes his stock even better to keep or to trade.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Weird take. Some talks about "vibes" and you equate that to "is" Brent Burns. And then that poster clarifies that "vibe" talk with, "The more I re-watch the highs of Dionicio, the more I am appreciating his game, the lows are low, sure but man if Dionicio hits, he could be a star in the NHL."

Hence, the poster identifies there are negatives in his game and proposes Dionicio could be a star with the qualification of "if" he hits - implying should several things improve to that point. Oddly enough, that is every prospect.

People can be hyped up for 5th rounders. Scouts can be hype up for 5th or 6th rounders. Anaheim scouts were hyped to have traded back into the 6th round of the 2011 draft to select D Josh Manson. They begged their GM to draft Manson even though Anaheim didn't have a 6th or 7th round pick. I'd love, love, love for you to argue with the Anaheim scouting staff about their fervor for D Josh Manson.

It is kinda disturbing that you're stuck on static evals, not believing prospects can improve over time. Then your take on basic stats, not realizing things should be taken into context to have a more accurate representation. One of those contexts is that the regular season is different from post season play; deployments and minutes become different between regular season and post season play.

• Playoffs
    • C/RW Haight: 13 pts and -3 rating
      2022 Rd 2 pick, 47th OA, by Wild; signed
    • D Dionicio: 17 pts and -3 rating
      2023 Rd 5 pick D+1 overager by Ducks; unsigned
    • C Beck: 14 pts and -3 rating
      2022 Rd 2 pick, 33rd OA, by Habs; signed
    • C Sapovaliv: 9 pts and -5 rating
      2022 Rd 2 pick, 48th OA, by Vegas; signed
    Added bonus
    • D Parekh: 11 pts and +0 rating
      PP points: 1g + 1a = 2 PP pts
      projected to be a top-12 pick in 2024 draft

Are all those 2022 2nd rounders a waste of a pick too? Is Parekh's top-end offense, considered to be a top-12 selection, considered not so top-end? Or maybe the coaching staff had a preference of who to put out on the ice against opposing team's top players during the playoffs?

OHL Western Conference Standings, Reg Season
1. London: 104 pts; GF = 322, GA = 197 (Best offense and defense in the Western Conf.)
2. Saginaw: 102 pts; GF = 303, GA = 215
3. Soo: 95 pts; GF = 286, GA = 215
7. Owen Sound: 67 pts; GF = 246, GA = 274

• Playoffs
    • Dionicio's production per round
      Rd 1, vs Owen Sound (4 games): 2g + 1a = 3 pts and +1 rating
      Rd 2, vs Soo (7 games): 1g + 4a = 5 pts and +2 rating
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 2g + 7a = 9 pts and -6 rating
    • Beck
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 2g + 2a = 4 pts and -5 rating
    • Haight
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 5g + 2a = 7 pts and -5 rating
    • Sapovaliv
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 0g + 2a = 2 pts and -7 rating
    • Parekh
      Rd 3, vs London (7 games): 0g + 3a = 3 pts and -4 rating

Saginaw ran into the best team in the West in London, who was resting as they won their 2nd round in a sweep. It appears the London series is what took out Saginaw hard in a 4-2 series loss. It's crazy what one can deduct when they go beyond the summary of playoff stats, using basic stats.

Now, onto signing or not signing prospects. Under new GM Verbeek, Anaheim has done some odd things.

• C/RW Ben King is a 2022 D+1 overager prospect drafted in the 4th round. This past season, he played in the AHL without a contract. He was the Gulls 2nd highest, rookie scorer with 15g + 15a and highest rookie goal scorer. He remains unsigned.
  • C/LW Hvidston is a 5th round pick of the 2022 draft. He remains unsigned, but GM Verbeek has said he is expecting Hvidston next season in the AHL.
  • 2019, 2nd round pick RW Colangelo has a wonderful year in the NCAA that should have prompted an automatic current ELC after his season had ended or he walks as a free agent. Instead, the GM made him play in the AHL on an ATO for four games, where he scored 1g + 3a. Only after that 4 game AHL stint did Verbeek signed him to a current ELC to play in 3 NHL games, scoring a goal.

If Colangelo's NCAA career didn't finish early in the NCAA Tourney, then who knows what BS GM Verbeek would have pulled that might have caused Colangelo to go through the FA route instead of signing with the Ducks.

With Dionicio going across the pond, the Ducks still own his rights and don't need to sign him today. This is similar to Ben King. King was too old to stay in the CHL and could go to the AHL, but the Ducks didn't sign him. King signed to an AHL contract, but the Ducks still own his rights. If King isn't signed by Jun 1, 2024, then the Ducks lose his rights. We'll see how this pans out. If King is signed before Jun 1, then it reaffirms how odd Ducks' GM runs things.

As of right now, Dionicio is Ducks' property and can still be used as draft capital without being signed. There are a lot of LHD in front of Dionicio (Mintyukov, Zellweger, LaCombe, Vaak, and Hinds). Dionicio has raised his stock as a 5th round and if he continues to develop across the pond, then that makes his stock even better to keep or to trade.
Posts are written. Its clear. Exceptionnel talent, def élite, Burns vibe. I challenge it.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
On

N''
Mmmm m. Et

Posts are written. Its clear. Exceptionnel talent, def élite, Burns vibe. I challenge it.

You challenged it without context. Also, Burns =/= Burns vibe. Ducks' scouts thought D Josh Manson was exceptional to prompt their GM to "trade back into the 6th round" to draft him.

Here are a couple of other Ducks prospects who are exceptional in what they do, but were drafted far lower or as an overager (D+1): Wingers Sasha Pastujov (2021, 3rd Rd) and Yegor Sidorov (2023, 3rd Rd). They were both exceptional in the CHL for goal scoring, but both has the same flaws that made them drop - the lack of skating. Sidorov was passed over because his overall offense didn't pop in his draft year. With Pastujov at the AHL level, that high scoring offense has been nullified in his first year in the pros.

Now, exceptional at lower levels doesn't mean it will 100% translate to a higher level. We've seen busts before at in the top-10. Anaheim drafted LW Nick Ritchie 10th overall in the 2014 draft. Obviously, Ritchie's top-10 talent didn't translate to the NHL Level.

Let's see who else has this same level of thought about Dionicio's high level of play:

Ducks: Prospect spotlight: Rodwin Dionicio​
The defenseman was a fifth-round pick in 2023, but in the OHL, he's playing like a superstar.​
The Spirit defenceman has been living under the shadow of 2024 NHL Draft eligible Zayne Parekh, who is having a season for the ages. Being said that, Dionicio is a high-end offensive player in his own right.​
For the second straight month, a Saginaw Spirit defenceman landed on the Stock Rising list, and no defender in the OHL was more potent than Rodwin Dionicio in the month of February.​

I suppose those media are all idiots for identifying Dionicio has been displaying high-end offense like a superstar? Or are they actually reporting what type of play Dionicio has been doing?

Sure, posts are written. Media is written too. Maybe your views are too narrow (I already identified your usage of stats lacks contextual depth as well as organizational context with signings) to understand people can report good to great to superstar play within that level of hockey.

While I still believe Dionicio has a ways to go to get to the NHL, I can acknowledge there is high-end offense in him. Dionicio carried Saginaw's offense in the playoffs as its leading scorer, higher than projected top-10 offensive D Parekh. Parekh lead Saginaw in scoring in the regular season by 21 points. Maybe there is something there in Dionicio, which would be a boon for a 5th round pick.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You challenged it without context. Also, Burns =/= Burns vibe. Ducks' scouts thought D Josh Manson was exceptional to prompt their GM to "trade back into the 6th round" to draft him.

Here are a couple of other Ducks prospects who are exceptional in what they do, but were drafted far lower or as an overager (D+1): Wingers Sasha Pastujov (2021, 3rd Rd) and Yegor Sidorov (2023, 3rd Rd). They were both exceptional in the CHL for goal scoring, but both has the same flaws that made them drop - the lack of skating. Sidorov was passed over because his overall offense didn't pop in his draft year. With Pastujov at the AHL level, that high scoring offense has been nullified in his first year in the pros.

Now, exceptional at lower levels doesn't mean it will 100% translate to a higher level. We've seen busts before at in the top-10. Anaheim drafted LW Nick Ritchie 10th overall in the 2014 draft. Obviously, Ritchie's top-10 talent didn't translate to the NHL Level.

Let's see who else has this same level of thought about Dionicio's high level of play:

Ducks: Prospect spotlight: Rodwin Dionicio​
The defenseman was a fifth-round pick in 2023, but in the OHL, he's playing like a superstar.​
The Spirit defenceman has been living under the shadow of 2024 NHL Draft eligible Zayne Parekh, who is having a season for the ages. Being said that, Dionicio is a high-end offensive player in his own right.​
For the second straight month, a Saginaw Spirit defenceman landed on the Stock Rising list, and no defender in the OHL was more potent than Rodwin Dionicio in the month of February.​

I suppose those media are all idiots for identifying Dionicio has been displaying high-end offense like a superstar? Or are they actually reporting what type of play Dionicio has been doing?

Sure, posts are written. Media is written too. Maybe your views are too narrow (I already identified your usage of stats lacks contextual depth as well as organizational context with signings) to understand people can report good to great to superstar play within that level of hockey.

While I still believe Dionicio has a ways to go to get to the NHL, I can acknowledge there is high-end offense in him. Dionicio carried Saginaw's offense in the playoffs as its leading scorer, higher than projected top-10 offensive D Parekh. Parekh lead Saginaw in scoring in the regular season by 21 points. Maybe there is something there in Dionicio, which would be a boon for a 5th round pick.
Articles, where he is praised in the same way as Lucas Karmiris and Sandis Vilmanis and ? CHL history is filled with 20-year-old players with plenty of points who weren't stars in the NHL.

I could have talked about the comparisons to Subban, the potential future NHL star... it's the same.

All recently drafted players can play in the NHL, that's not the question.

Parekh missed 4 games. But he has a much higher production with 2 years less in regular season. He can be seen as a potential future star and be compared to superb players. Dionicio concedes a lot of goals on the ice (he is the player on his team who concedes the most goals) and the podcasts I've heard talk about a player who is deficient on defense.

This is what I see on his profile, this is what I have heard from serious people. If he was undrafted 2 years ago, if he was only 5th round last year when he was at the top of the U19 player points, there is a reason. Points don't mean much to the backs. But I already said it. European leagues are filled with offensive defensemen who produced more points than defenders who took a place on NHL defense.Romanov, Siegenthaler... guys who defend very well. The offensive defender role is limited to 1 per team and it has to be a guy who contributes more than he concedes.

In Montreal, there is only Mike Matheson and we are still skeptical about Hutson and Mailloux.Personally, I have a hard time seeing Dionicio in this role. NHL franchises hate defenders who don't know how to defend. I would have rather compared Dionicio to Dragicevic, Cristoforo, guys like that.

Then there are the international games. I didn't find him crazy. However, he plays in a very weak team so I won't get ahead of myself.

To me, he has more of the vibes of an offensive defenseman not good enough to be dominant in the NHL and too weak on defense to be a positive asset in the NHL.

If this guy was perceived as strong as you say, Anaheim would have signed him as a priority knowing that Anaheim only has until June 1, 2025 to sign him.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Articles, where he is praised in the same way as Lucas Karmiris and Sandis Vilmanis and ? CHL history is filled with 20-year-old players with plenty of points who weren't stars in the NHL.

I could have talked about the comparisons to Subban, the potential future NHL star... it's the same.

Parekh missed 4 games. But he has a much higher production with 2 years less in regular season. He can be seen as a potential future star and be compared to superb players. Dionicio concedes a lot of goals on the ice (he is the player on his team who concedes the most goals) and the podcasts I've heard talk about a player who is deficient on defense.

This is what I see on his profile, this is what I have heard from serious people. If he was undrafted 2 years ago, if he was only 5th round last year when he was at the top of the U19 player points, there is a reason. Points don't mean much to the backs. But I already said it. European leagues are filled with offensive defensemen who produced more points than defenders who took a place on NHL defense.Romanov, Siegenthaler... guys who defend very well. The offensive defender role is limited to 1 per team and it has to be a guy who contributes more than he concedes.

In Montreal, there is only Mike Matheson and we are still skeptical about Hutson and Mailloux.Personally, I have a hard time seeing Dionicio in this role. NHL franchises hate defenders who don't know how to defend. I would have rather compared Dionicio to Dragicevic, Cristoforo, guys like that.

Then there are the international games. I didn't find him crazy. However, he plays in a very weak team so I won't get ahead of myself.

To me, he has more of the vibes of an offensive defenseman not good enough to be dominant in the NHL and too weak on defense to be a positive asset in the NHL.

If this guy was perceived as strong as you say, Anaheim would have signed him as a priority knowing that Anaheim only has until June 1, 2025 to sign him.
If you watched the player or even just thread the posts in this thread you'd have learned that Dionicio improved a lot defensively. Based on that I'm really interested in the podcasts you mentioned. Makes for a nice change since you're usually just referring to imaginary friends. Care to post some links?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
If you watched the player or even just thread the posts in this thread you'd have learned that Dionicio improved a lot defensively. Based on that I'm really interested in the podcasts you mentioned. Makes for a nice change since you're usually just referring to imaginary friends. Care to post some links?
I will waste hours looking for the two podcasts that talked about it last year. But I told you and you didn't want to listen to me. Results : Round 5. There is nothing imaginary. These are facts.

I already told you too, I found him very ordinary with Switzerland. As already said, I had him higher in 2022 and 2023 (82 and 119). As already said, I only dispute the status of star defender but I have already said that.

You don't listen to people, you don't accept the facts, the opinions, you're in your delirium of Swiss nationalism, it's a dialogue of the deaf.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I will waste hours looking for the two podcasts that talked about it last year. But I told you and you didn't want to listen to me. Results : Round 5. There is nothing imaginary. These are facts.

I already told you too, I found him very ordinary with Switzerland. As already said, I had him higher in 2022 and 2023 (82 and 119). As already said, I only dispute the status of star defender but I have already said that.

You don't listen to people, you don't accept the facts, the opinions, you're in your delirium of Swiss nationalism, it's a dialogue of the deaf.

I know, you told us already about your busy life and of course I wouldn't want to waste too much of your precious time but assuming those podcasts aren't as imaginary as your friends...can you give us some names at the very least? Name of the podcast or the person so we have a chance to find it ourselves while you're busy?

I'm really interested because your takes do not match my observations. My observations do, however, match the ones of the OHL or general prospect/draft experts (be it on this board or elsewhere) I follow. Those names have been mentioned here before in this thread and they're actually my go to sources as well. I don't think there are more credible ones out there so I'm very interested in the podcasts you mentioned.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

You easily move goal posts from "post season" to "regular season" when you need your agenda to be set.

Again, I've proven that your lack of contextual data as well as scouting assessment are highly flawed. Moving the goal posts while not admitting players can evolve is proof you lack consistency in integrity. There really is no point in conversing when you don't even realize your flaws when it was shown to you by your own standards.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I know, you told us already about your busy life and of course I wouldn't want to waste too much of your precious time but assuming those podcasts aren't as imaginary as your friends...can you give us some names at the very least? Name of the podcast or the person so we have a chance to find it ourselves while you're busy?

I'm really interested because your takes do not match my observations. My observations do, however, match the ones of the OHL or general prospect/draft experts (be it on this board or elsewhere) I follow. Those names have been mentioned here before in this thread and they're actually my go to sources as well. I don't think there are more credible ones out there so I'm very interested in the podcasts you mentioned.

NHL 32 thoughts and La Releve Podcasts.

The problem is that the decision-making of the 32 NHL teams does not correspond to your observations either, so question yourself.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You easily move goal posts from "post season" to "regular season" when you need your agenda to be set.

Again, I've proven that your lack of contextual data as well as scouting assessment are highly flawed. Moving the goal posts while not admitting players can evolve is proof you lack consistency in integrity. There really is no point in conversing when you don't even realize your flaws when it was shown to you by your own standards.
Listen guy, last year Dionicio had better statistics with Saginaw than this year. He was still selected in the 5th round and in the priority of signings, despite the deadline which ends in 1 year, plenty of Anaheim 2022/23 prospects were signed before him. These are facts. Not my agenda.

As already mentioned 10 times, I dispute his status as an exceptional talent, elite offensive defender, comparisons with Burns and Subban and potential future NHL star.

Ok.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Listen guy, last year Dionicio had better statistics with Saginaw than this year. He was still selected in the 5th round and in the priority of signings, despite the deadline which ends in 1 year, plenty of Anaheim 2022/23 prospects were signed before him. These are facts. Not my agenda.
Thats nullified by other factors though. Like that his offense is coming from a much more sustainable place now, for instance. In past years his points came often from hail mary stretch passes or other high risk plays. Now they come more often from controled zone entries or structured attack sequences. His defensive game has become much more stable because of that too.

Then he has also shown this year that he can produce on a higher level than just in the OHL regular season. Like in the playoffs and the WJC. If you compare his last two WJC performances, the difference is pretty striking. A year ago he was a defensive liabilty with some offensive flash that skated like molasses. This year, while his skating still wasnt the best, albeit much improved, everything ran through him. He was involved in most of Switzerlands high danger chances in the tournament. And a lot of advanced stats models showed that he was in fact one of the best players in the tournament. But I guess all those things count for nothing apparently...

As already mentioned 10 times, I dispute his status as an exceptional talent, elite offensive defender, comparisons with Burns and Subban and potential future NHL star.

Ok.
I think I wrote this before in this thread but those are stylistic comparisons. Those don't mean that for example Hinterland means that Dionico will end up winning a Norris like Subban did. It just means that Dionicios playstyle reminds him of Subbans to a degree. And not that Dionicio is as good a prospect as the former Canadien was at the same age. HF board users make such comparisons all the time. So do media outlets and channels that cover the draft like TSN. As I said its just to compare the prospects playing styles not to equate their talent level.

Reactions: Hinterland

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Isn’t this the guy who was talking in another thread about the Habs d prospects being way better than the Ducks d prospects?
Why is there still debate with the selection of Reinbacher and the departure of Drysdale ?

Montreal U23 : Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, Barron, Konyushkov, Engstrom

Anaheim U23 : Mintyukov, Luneau, Zellweger, Warren, Hinds, Lacombe, Smith, Dionicio, Moore, Nickl

And Drysdale, confirmation of what I said last year: he is injured all the time and doesn't know how to defend.

Yes things will change, Anaheim will take Levshunov and will regain the unofficial franchise title with the best group D U23.

But there is nothing worthy. These two teams have had catastrophic seasons.

Between the Swiss nationalists, the Anaheim supporters and the guys who only think about harassing, this topic is going nowhere.

The heart of my remarks is that Dionicio is not an elite prospect. There's no point in deviating next to it.
As a Montreal fan, Mailloux and Hutson are not elite prospects. An elite prospect U23 is a guy like Nemec or Hughes.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why is there still debate with the selection of Reinbacher and the departure of Drysdale ?

Montreal U23 : Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, Barron, Konyushkov, Engstrom

Anaheim U23 : Mintyukov, Luneau, Zellweger, Warren, Hinds, Lacombe, Smith, Dionicio, Moore, Nickl

And Drysdale, confirmation of what I said last year: he is injured all the time and doesn't know how to defend.

Yes things will change, Anaheim will take Levshunov and will regain the unofficial franchise title with the best group D U23.

But there is nothing worthy. These two teams have had catastrophic seasons.

Between the Swiss nationalists, the Anaheim supporters and the guys who only think about harassing, this topic is going nowhere.

The heart of my remarks is that Dionicio is not an elite prospect. There's no point in deviating next to it.
As a Montreal fan, Mailloux and Hutson are not elite prospects. An elite prospect U23 is a guy like Nemec or Hughes.

What's your problem? You're repeatedly insulting people in this thread (and elsewhere) yet keep on complaining about harassment? You even managed to do both in the same sentence. I'd strongly recommend to start watching your mouth if you wanna get along with other users on this board. In my case it's too late though. I've seen enough. Congratulations, after 7,5 years on hfboards you're the first to make it to my ignore list.

Also, if you watched even one episode of 32 thoughts or even just followed NHL media coverage for a little while you'd know that Friedman and Marek are insiders (at least Friedman is while Marek is hosting TV shows as well), not scouts. They're journalists with a focus on the NHL and I can guarantee you that most the posters you're arguing with (including me) are watching more OHL games than Friedman and Marek do. I respect them a lot for what they do, I'm following their podcast and there's no doubt Friedman is nr.1 in the business but as explained above, they're not scouts so they don't usually talk about prospects unless it's notable ones unwilling to sign, requesting trades or potentially joining NHL teams. Prospects may also become a topic as part of trade rumors. Either way, Friedman and Marek are never gonna evaluate the prospects play in their podcasts because that's just simply not what it's about. Therefore you claiming they talked about Dionicio's play is just bs. Even if I didn't listen to their podcast regularly I could still easily call bs on this one. Sam Cosentino is Sportsnet's junior hockey analyst, not Friedman or Marek. On 32 thoughts the podcast they did talk about Ducks prospects just about a month ago but that was after the Ducks got fined 50k dollars for pressuring their prospects into attending a prospect camp in Florida by facilitating housing which NHL teams aren't allowed to do. However, they didn't name Dionicio (or any other Ducks prospect for that matter) even once. I'm sure Friedman has a pretty good idea of which Ducks prospects complained to the league about this but it would have been bad style to call them out. Friedman would never do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Coyote

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Like I didn't expect he get contract...

I repeat :

"The heart of my remarks is that Dionicio is not an elite prospect."

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not too frequent a 5th round pick gets signed to an ELC in the season he was drafted in. Must have shown some real nice progression this year.

Still somewhat surprising though. Anaheim and San Diego are by no means guaranteed to be contenders anytime soon...which might be the only way Dionicio can get in games for the organization while playing in Switzerland. So Anaheim is basically wasting a contract slot for seemingly no particular reason. Happy for the player though.

That's unless he's gonna play for San Diego of course which is something the player was initially interested in and actually wanted to do this season already. However, if that was still the plan he most certainly wouldn't have signed in Switzerland.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad