Recalled/Assigned: D Martin Marincin and C Roman Horak called up.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Good for Horak, I know, from what I've read, he's really played strong in OKC and deserves the call. Here's hoping he, and Marincin, force the issue for the Oilers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Lander is a perfect example of how this organization just can NOT develop it's prospects. Somehow I think if Lander was drafted by Detroit he would be a great 3rd or at least 4th line centre by now.
Sort of a myth, they really don't draft that well when All-Time greats aren't filling in the gaps.

Well what the hell went wrong?
He appears to lack offense at the NHL level, it's not uncommon, some guys just can't figure it out. His inability to score is HARDLY the Oilers' fault, geez.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Sort of a myth, they really don't draft that well when All-Time greats aren't filling in the gaps.

He appears to lack offense at the NHL level, it's not uncommon, some guys just can't figure it out. His inability to score is HARDLY the Oilers' fault, geez.

When you look at the rate of improvement that we get out of our 2nd+ round picks, you can't possibly blame the players all the time.

We've gotten little to nothing out of our farm team in the past. Most of the young guys who've played big minutes for us came out of juniors or college.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
When you look at the rate of improvement that we get out of our 2nd+ round picks, you can't possibly blame the players all the time.

We've gotten little to nothing out of our farm team in the past. Most of the young guys who've played big minutes for us came out of juniors or college.

Again, I don't disagree, Lander's development Looks Bad on the organization, no question, but The Oilers can't Teach him to Score, honestly.

That's true about the farm, though I think Pitlick would have brought something if not for stupid stupid things grr, but that's a mircocausims(sp) of a lack of quality talent above them, the Oilers are going too "deep" into the "depth" and that gets easily exposed.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Again, I don't disagree, Lander's development Looks Bad on the organization, no question, but The Oilers can't Teach him to Score, honestly.

That's true about the farm, though I think Pitlick would have brought something if not for stupid stupid things grr, but that's a mircocausims(sp) of a lack of quality talent above them, the Oilers are going too "deep" into the "depth" and that gets easily exposed.

I have no idea who to run a farm team and if it's any different from running an NHL team, but I get the impression that our team goes for the win. Having players spend far too much time in their comfort zone.

To me the point of the farm club is to have the kids learn to play outside of their comfort zone to a degree at a lower level of competition until they've got enough tools to their game to be helpful to an NHL team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have no idea who to run a farm team and if it's any different from running an NHL team, but I get the impression that our team goes for the win. Having players spend far too much time in their comfort zone.

To me the point of the farm club is to have the kids learn to play outside of their comfort zone to a degree at a lower level of competition until they've got enough tools to their game to be helpful to an NHL team.

Makes sense, but the thing I notice, from a far, is some of the kids seem to have alot of success down there. Lander can score, Fedun controls the game, Davidson is dominant with some offensive upside, etc, but some just can't translate it.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Lander is a perfect example of how this organization just can NOT develop it's prospects. Somehow I think if Lander was drafted by Detroit he would be a great 3rd or at least 4th line centre by now. This was a guy who by some experts (at least those that I remember that I heard from) said that although his high-end talent was somewhat limited, and that he wouldn't likely ever be a top-6 NHL, that he was pretty much a sure-fire bottom-6 guy within a few years after the draft. Well we are, after 4 years since he was drafted, and his development has been slow, at best.

In fact, here's Stu MacGregor about Lander on draft day (he better be considered an "expert"--he's the freaking director of Oiler scouting): “Very excited about Anton. He’s a player we look at as a potential second-line centre with for sure third-line ability."

Well what the hell went wrong? When is there going to be some accountability for failed prospect development across the board? At this point I'm starting to think that it wasn't player selection--even if they were just randomly selecting players past the 2nd round for the past 8 years (or so) you're going to get lucky on at least someone. But no--nothing; no one. Tells me it's more to do with development than draft choices, but I'm going out on a limb with this one, as I'm admittedly not a prospects guru.

LOL, based on what? Reputation? How exactly have we ruined his development? He was playing 1C for OKC this season and would still be if injuries hadn't forced a call up, and he's been PPG+ in the AHL since last years playoffs. He's also only 22. Also I don't know if you're aware but Detroits 'prospects' only look so good because they are forced to toil in the AHL well into their mid 20's - this year is an anomoly because of how decimated they are by injuries.

Anyway, this point is moot. It's been shown multiple times on this board in several different threads that Detroits "superior" drafting is a myth.

Lander has looked like a capable 4C for the Oilers when needed this year so far and has done a pretty good job PKing as well.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced

The Oilers have only had a legitimate farm team for a whopping 3 seasons now.
Before that we had to have our prospects out on loan, or shared playing time with other teams who had NHL affiliation already. Our 2010 and 11 draft picks are only now starting to play a lot of minutes in the AHL so it needs some time to work.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Makes sense, but the thing I notice, from a far, is some of the kids seem to have alot of success down there. Lander can score, Fedun controls the game, Davidson is dominant with some offensive upside, etc, but some just can't translate it.

That's kind of my point. They're trying to win... you can't be afraid of losing at that level when you're trying to develop your prospects, right? Maybe I'm crazy.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's kind of my point. They're trying to win... you can't be afraid of losing at that level when you're trying to develop your prospects, right? Maybe I'm crazy.

There's that, but the other side to that is they need to learn to win as Pros and if they can't beat Minor Pro guys out of their jobs, the NHL is a hell of a step. Competition should be breed improve. "SHOULD" lol

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
‏@EdmontonOilers
Coach Eakins says Horak and Marincin won't play tonight in Calgary.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
There's that, but the other side to that is they need to learn to win as Pros and if they can't beat Minor Pro guys out of their jobs, the NHL is a hell of a step. Competition should be breed improve. "SHOULD" lol

They'll learn to win as pros when they've learned to play outside of their comfort zone and become more complete players.

When Eberle goes on streaks of not scoring due to doing nothing but toe drags it's a sign of being young and inexperienced.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010

Prospects are shouldering most the load this season, and let me be the first to say it's ugly. A lot of green D men who still adapting from juniors, & Klefbom who at times has struggled the most and is somewhere among the worst minus on the team.

When Rajala left that was the only oiler prospect in the pros who was capable to produce at a reasonable clip. Martindale, Hamilton, Pitlick, Kessy, Ewanyk, Acton are all fine to have in your bottom 6 but not when half of them are in top 6 and are being relied upon to produce more offense. It only becomes more obvious when the vets on the team are struggling also like Nesbitt, r. Hamilton, and Ford.

My point is this - the prospects in OKC just aren't as bright as maybe you'd like to think. Maybe a couple bright spots in a couple years on D, but forward wise the cupboards are bare and there really isn't a player here you'll see a big development curve, because they just aren't that talented. It's a good thing Oil are looking to improve their 4thvline in the future, because I'm willing to bet you'll get a couple who maybe one day will play 8 min. A night, but at this point I would wager that most will never find a niche in the NHL, even if they develop ahead of the curve.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not sure if I worded that poorly or if people are just misunderstanding me.

When I say I would think, I did not mean, I do think.

Before I posted I checked Horaks hockey's future stats and write up and his NHL games played.

The picture his numbers paint and his projections are extremely similar to Lander but the hype surrounding Lander was so much greater. I've never seen him play so I don't actually know if he sucks as bad as Lander has but from the numbers I made the following assumptions:

Both play on weak teams and most likely would not have gotten the games played in the NHL if they played for a better team.

Neither has shown anything to suggest they "should" get to 100 games.

From what I have seen of Lander I am very confident he SHOULD NOT get to 100 games in the NHL mark unless he has a large increase in his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad