D Lian Bichsel - EHC Biel-Bienne, NL (2022, 18th, DAL)

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Wonder why he opted to go back. Seems like the AHL is the best spot for him to develop, no? Especially if he was playing well. Europe is a step down.

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Hopefully Dallas blocks him from coming back after Rogle are out. Texas is one of the younger teams in the AHL and Stankoven/Bourque are carrying the team as one of the best in their divison.

Why opt out to go to a shitty SHL team?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The AHL is the 2nd best league in the world and all of the things Bichsel needs to improve on are rink-size and decision-making related. Bad choice by him (or his camp) and one that will set back his development as he could've easily found himself in the NHL during the 2nd half the season. The Stars still have a gaping void trying to find a partner for Heiskanen which will now have to be done via trade.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The AHL is the 2nd best league in the world and all of the things Bichsel needs to improve on are rink-size and decision-making related. Bad choice by him (or his camp) and one that will set back his development as he could've easily found himself in the NHL during the 2nd half the season. The Stars still have a gaping void trying to find a partner for Heiskanen which will now have to be done via trade.

Ever since being drafted his camps decision making has been odd in all their decisions.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hopefully Dallas blocks him from coming back after Rogle are out. Texas is one of the younger teams in the AHL and Stankoven/Bourque are carrying the team as one of the best in their divison.

Why opt out to go to a shitty SHL team?
Family? Mental health? etc.

Plenty of reasons outside of hockey.

Reactions: 57special

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wonder why he opted to go back. Seems like the AHL is the best spot for him to develop, no? Especially if he was playing well. Europe is a step down.
I was shocked he played AHL at all. News out of his camp was always that he's not interested.

Also, Sweden is a good place to develop. He's got unfinished business in the SHL after missing so much time with injury during his time with Leksands.

Furthermore, I think he wants to play the WJC20 so he'd have left for Sweden anyway. It's his last chance to play international junior hockey.

Also, his girlfriend is Swedish and Sweden based.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I was shocked he played AHL at all. News out of his camp was always that he's not interested.

Also, Sweden is a good place to develop. He's got unfinished business in the SHL after missing so much time with injury during his time with Leksands.

Furthermore, I think he wants to play the WJC20 so he'd have left for Sweden anyway. It's his last chance to play international junior hockey.

Also, his girlfriend is Swedish and Sweden based.
Fair enough. Just seems odd to be playing well for the farm team and then head back to Europe. But if he has his reasons who am I to judge.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Fair enough. Just seems odd to be playing well for the farm team and then head back to Europe. But if he has his reasons who am I to judge.
Playing well for the farm is cool but I don't think he's quite NHL ready after so many injuries. I think the player knows that as well. He missed a lot of time (with concussions among other stuff) playing back in Sweden, then got his ankle ruined playing against Sweden which meant he had no offseason training at all. I was surprised he was ready for camp.

At the end, all he did was using a clause in his contract. If the Dallas Stars wanted to keep him around they could have just promoted him to the NHL to keep him from going. The fact that they didn't tells you they've doubts as well.

He'll be back and ready for NHL action next season or 2025 the latest when Dallas should have open slots on defense. With the WJC taking place in Sweden Bichsel would have been away a good junk of the season remainder anyway.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
At the end, all he did was using a clause in his contract. If the Dallas Stars wanted to keep him around they could have just promoted him to the NHL to keep him from going. The fact that they didn't tells you they've doubts as well.

Was Dallas required to put that clause into the contract?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We can't get inside his head. While the AHL is handier for the club, as they can watch him more closely, indoctrinate into the Star's style of play, and call him up mid season(which i think Lian would like), there could be other factors, unique to him, that are in play. Does he have a girlfriend back in EU, family obligations? Maybe he doesn't get along with the coaching staff/players in Texas, or he is not ready to adapt to the NA culture.

I don't think that the AHL is much better of a league than the SHL, if at all. Again, I can see the AHL being better to develop him as a Star, but that isn't the same thing as a hockey player, and person. He is still very young... let him go back close to home where he's most comfortable. Every guy is unique.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Was Dallas required to put that clause into the contract?
I don't know but why would they? I assume it's something that was negociated and that the two parties agreed on.

I also don't think that the date is a coincidence. I really think he wants to play the WJC in Sweden. It's gonna be his last one and a chance to play a tournament in front of his girlfriend and other friends in made in Sweden. If he has to leave Texas anyway he might as well finish the season in Sweden.

Reactions: LT

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
It was announced today that he declined to play the WJC in order to stay with Rögle. I'd have to say that I am not sure if he has made the right career decisions this year. I already thought he should have stayed in the AHL to get NHL ready. But at the end of the day its his life and the decisions are his to make. For better or for worse...

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
It's not hard to imagine him experiencing culture shock as a teenager from Switzerland heading to Texas, and wanting to be closer to home. The assumption that he did it to take part in the WJC was just that- an assumption.

No reason this can't be a good development path for him to stay playing pro hockey, while working on what will aid him when he comes back to NA hockey.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
It was announced today that he declined to play the WJC in order to stay with Rögle. I'd have to say that I am not sure if he has made the right career decisions this year. I already thought he should have stayed in the AHL to get NHL ready. But at the end of the day its his life and the decisions are his to make. For better or for worse...
Trade him!! To the Ducks please...

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

Gemel Smith, Cedric Paquette, Andy Andreoff or Madison Bowey are certainly not of this opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad