D Landon Dupont - Edge School U15 Prep, CSSHL U15 (2027 Draft)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
is there any reason why he wouldn’t get exceptional status? Seems like the most obvious decision ever unless there is something I don’t know

IF there is a reason it would provide a good laugh to hear it

Hockey reasons? No.

Political reasons? Yes. If Dupont doesn't want to report to certain teams. Same reason why Savoie was denied ES. HC doesn't like it when a player wants to choosy with teams.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Hockey reasons? No.

Political reasons? Yes. If Dupont doesn't want to report to certain teams. Same reason why Savoie was denied ES. HC doesn't like it when a player wants to choosy with teams.

The only question is would he report to the Americans.

Everett (Kamloops's pick)? Of course he'd go there. They're always extremely competitive. Kelowna (Regina's pick)? No brainer to go live in Kelowna.

As someone who follows the Americans, I hope he'd go there. This season has been abysmal and that would make it worth it to get a player of his calibre after all this.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004

Everett (Kamloops's pick)? Of course he'd go there. They're always extremely competitive. Kelowna (Regina's pick)? No brainer to go live in Kelowna.

As someone who follows the Americans, I hope he'd go there. This season has been abysmal and that would make it worth it to get a player of his calibre after all this.

I would love to see him go to the Americans. Gavin plays with absolutely no one and he's still producing a point a game.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

Everett isn’t a great place to live in. Rumours have it he doesn’t want to report there.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I thought he had a so-so final. This is the first time I have watched him.
-Missed a open net at the end of the second
-Had a breakaway stopped in overtime
-Very creative/good vision. Assist on the second goal.
-His defence was a bit of an adventure (justified considering he is 14)

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Hockey reasons? No.

Maybe a hindsight is 20/20 situation because Savoie very highly touted at the time but he also wasn’t a no brainer ES candidate. If DuPont is what he appears to be then the WHL/CHL can’t really afford to lose another player of his ilk to NCAA - even if it means bending the knee and letting him dictate who he plays for in sone capacity.

Reactions: pgfan66

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Maybe a hindsight is 20/20 situation because Savoie very highly touted at the time but he also wasn’t a no brainer ES candidate. If DuPont is what he appears to be then the WHL/CHL can’t really afford to lose another player of his ilk to NCAA - even if it means bending the knee and letting him dictate who he plays for in sone capacity.
I can't think of how it would be operationalized, but I think the CHL is going to have to adopt, at some level, the USHL-style tender system moving forward if if wants to keep the best players in the respective leagues. It sure feels like players and their families are less willing to play the 'draft and demand a trade' card than before; they just want to be able to select where they develop.

Reactions: prongertheman9

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I can't think of how it would be operationalized, but I think the CHL is going to have to adopt, at some level, the USHL-style tender system moving forward if if wants to keep the best players in the respective leagues. It sure feels like players and their families are less willing to play the 'draft and demand a trade' card than before; they just want to be able to select where they develop.
The penalty would have to by higher than the USHL in my opinion on order to keep it from being a regular occurrence used by every team, every season. In the USHL (Pavel or any of the people who know this better please chime in) I believe you only lose your first and second round pick, out of draft of many, many rounds. Outside of the first 10 or so players in an age group, I don’t think people would get too picky about where they want to play.

Reactions: kyle44

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
From WHL wise not really it's only a few teams that some players don't like going to but overall it isn't much of a issue. Usually it's just a kid who wants(more so parents) to go the college path and teams have to gauge what spot the risk is worth it. From last years draft Kosick+Beuker are the only 2 high picks unsigned I know of and keep hearing from scouts that Kosick will sign in Calgary but I'll beleive it when he does. Then Beuker would've been WHL but the NTDP loophole is a good option, without it he signs. It's not as big of a deal out west I guess because of how much talent is produced vs the QMJHL.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
From WHL wise not really it's only a few teams that some players don't like going to but overall it isn't much of a issue. Usually it's just a kid who wants(more so parents) to go the college path and teams have to gauge what spot the risk is worth it. From last years draft Kosick+Beuker are the only 2 high picks unsigned I know of and keep hearing from scouts that Kosick will sign in Calgary but I'll beleive it when he does. Then Beuker would've been WHL but the NTDP loophole is a good option, without it he signs. It's not as big of a deal out west I guess because of how much talent is produced vs the QMJHL.
Yeah, that's fair. The CHL has always lost a few good players (even some stars) to the NCAA each year, but it seems like it is growing in recent years. Losing out on players the caliber of Celebrini, Fantilli, Power, Hage, Wood, Nadeau, Boisvert, (and potentially Dupont) etc. is tough. However, having said this, the reality is that the USHL/US Prep to NCAA option is fantastic in its own right, and there is no way of knowing how many (if any) would've chose the CHL if they had a tender style option. I still think it is something the CHL should investigate if it wants to remain competitive in player recruitment in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Yeah, that's fair. Tthe CHL has always lost a few good players (even some stars) to the NCAA each year, but it seems like it is growing in recent years. Losing out on players the caliber of Celebrini, Fantilli, Power, Hage, Wood, Nadeau, Boisvert, (and potentially Dupont) etc. is tough. However, having said this, the reality is that the USHL/US Prep to NCAA option is fantastic in its own right, and there is no way of knowing how many (if any) would've chose the CHL if they had a tender style option. I still think it is something the CHL should investigate if it wants to remain competitive in player recruitment in the future.
Totally agree, although I think for the most part at least the WHL will be fine the way it is. Most Canadian kids grow up dreaming of playing in the WHL and the same is true for the PNW. Yes, USHL-to-NCAA is a great option – but at the same time, moving to the American midwest instead of staying in Canada to play junior is a huge jump for these (and I can't emphasize the next word enough) kids. It's so easy to look at things as a fan and act like all routes are created equal. But the truth is, leaving your country at 16 or 17, even if it's "only" from Canada to the US, is a huge step that many players don't want to take. This occasionally becomes an issue for the US Division teams in the WHL too, although these kids know it's 90% Canadians on their teams and a bunch of their games will be played in Canada too, so it's not quite the same as moving to Nebraska or whatever.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yeah, that's fair. The CHL has always lost a few good players (even some stars) to the NCAA each year, but it seems like it is growing in recent years. Losing out on players the caliber of Celebrini, Fantilli, Power, Hage, Wood, Nadeau, Boisvert, (and potentially Dupont) etc. is tough. However, having said this, the reality is that the USHL/US Prep to NCAA option is fantastic in its own right, and there is no way of knowing how many (if any) would've chose the CHL if they had a tender style option. I still think it is something the CHL should investigate if it wants to remain competitive in player recruitment in the future.
Q territory kids going NCAA will happen more now because many are realizing the Q mostly sucks (yes I know the Q wins the Memorial Cup very often, but I'm talking about balance and quality of gameplay). A big reason why plenty of Quebec kids haven't gone NCAA is because of the culture shock of going from 80-90% French to 100% English in terms of language/culture.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004

IIRC, he WAS a no brainer (hockey wise). He was going to be the first ES in the WHL ever but here we are.

DuPont might be but the WHL is notoriously stingy on giving out ES. After all, you should be exceptional and not just really really good.

Canadian kids that want to choose the NCAA path are going to anyways, no matter the convincing or not. The real issue is that if we can keep these kids in Canada instead of them all going to the Chicago Steel of the USHL. Me, I'd rather they stay in Canada in the BCHL.

Celebrini grew up in the US so it was more than likely he would have gone NCAA. Fantilli went to prep schools in the US and actively chose not to play in the OHL. Wood and Nadeau went through the BCHL.

The CHL (actually Hockey Canada) has ZERO interest in keeping Canadians in Canada, otherwise there would be a blanket ban on players going to the US. Instead, they're declaring the BCHL a rebel league when in fact it's done a great job of keeping Canadian kids in Canada before heading to the NCAA. It's a big reason why the league left the Canada system and also why those big teams in the AJHL joined up. In fact if Dupont wants he can play in the BCHL and close to home while maintaining NCAA eligibility.

HC should be supporting two paths in the Canadian system and not just consider the CHL the only way to the pros. If they had spent money to the make the Junior A circuit stronger (better coaches, facilities) than maybe some of these high end players wouldn't leave for the USHL.

eastwind

Mar 20, 2024
Is there an updated list of each teams Bantam picks this year? Does Dupont have a chance of going to the Hitmen or did they trade their pick this year?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Is there an updated list of each teams Bantam picks this year? Does Dupont have a chance of going to the Hitmen or did they trade their pick this year?
without trading for it(if Dupont gets exceptional I'm not sure if teams are even allowed to trade for 1st) Calgary will be picking 6th. If they win the lottery they can gain a max of 2 spots so best case they pick 4th. Right now it's:
1st-Everett(via Kamloops)
2nd-Tri-City
3rd-Kelowna(via Regina)
4th-Edmonton
5th-Prince Albert(via Seattle)
6th-Calgary

Reactions: WADEugottaBELAKthat

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
With PA winning the draft lottery, Everett officially retains the 1st overall pick.

Question now is will Dupont get exceptional status?

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Everett can point to Zellweger as a success story for developing an elite WHL defenseman, and NHL player. DuPont should get exceptional status in my opinion, and I think Everett would be a great place for him to play and develop. They have multiple 1sts in the 2024, 2025, 2026 drafts, which should help them build around DuPont.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Everett being already good kind of makes that a perfect landing spot for him. On top of all those picks, they already have a pretty good group 05-07 born players. Liske their 1st rounder last year already looked like a whl regular when he played some with them last year (from what i've heard, didn't any those gms myself). A group of players like that will take a whole lot of pressure off him to be great immediately, which is one of the potential problems of 15 yr old stars joining small town Canadian chl teams imo.

mrshootthepuck

Jun 30, 2023
Everett already had one of the best defensive prospects in the league with Brek Liske. Now they get to add DuPont? Look out.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Everett already had one of the best defensive prospects in the league with Brek Liske. Now they get to add DuPont? Look out.
They also have Kamloops's 1st rounder next year and 2026. Blazers will likely struggle for a few years, so they just might get multiple 1st overall picks out of that trade.

Reactions: wetcoast

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
Not sure how this will affect DuPont, but GM and coach Dennis Williams is leaving the Silvertips after the playoffs to coach Bowling Green.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
The rich get richer. Incredible how badly Everett fleeced Kamloops on the Zellweger trade. Literally set their franchise up for a decade with one trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad