Prospect Info: D Isaac Belliveau (5th round, #154 overall, 2021)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Be interesting to hear theories on the production dip. Was he just feeding Lafreniere every time he touched it in his first year? Did he have an injury this year? Or with the short season and sample size was it just affected by a slump.

Reactions: Burn

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

This was a very tough first showing of the season for Belliveau, who struggled to fulfilled his responsibilities on the start of breakouts and often looked out of place on the defensive side of the puck. The 6 foot 2 left-handed defenseman had multiple opportunities to lead the zone exit, but instead displayed poor decision-making, execution speed, passing accuracy and stick-handling abilities that led to several turnovers and icing. Belliveau seems to have difficulties with his coordination, mobility and puck control, often losing his handle on the disc and putting himself in tough position to complete outlets. He lacks poise to process developing actions in his own zone, and plays with urgency. Being able to make the simple outlet pass is essential to have any shot of playing at the NHL level, and Belliveau has numerous shortcomings through his skillset that makes it a weakness of his. It isn’t much better off the puck. As an offensive defenseman, Belliveau defends through neutral zone with his focus set on recovering or intercepting the disc quickly. He loves to stay very high, to be in a position to snatch a pass or a loose puck and jump on the counterattack. He does possess very quick instincts and a great reaction speed to cut off and intercept passes.

Regardless, his poor positioning and subpar backward skating allows opponents to free themselves behind him and he is at the cause of multiple odd man rushes/breakways. The Canadian rearguard is also very passive on the puck-carrier, allowing him to control the disc smoothly on zone entries without pressuring him. Belliveau showcased great offensive instincts to jump on counterattacks and make dangerous cuts on the cycle. His bread and butter come on the man advantage, where is great blue line surveillance and puck distribution allows him to quarterback the action. He actually can look like a completely different player on the PP. He flashes his good vision in the offensive zone, to find open teammates on setup shots. Belliveau owns a decent slap and wrist shot that almost always find a way to get on net for potential rebounds, but it is often an easy initial stop for the goaltender due to a lack of accuracy. I see Belliveau as Jérémie Poirier, without the superb stick-handling abilities. If Poirier’s flashy high-end skills made many scouts wonder what could be, I don’t really see enough upside in Belliveau. Aside from multiple red flags, he lacks a trait that makes him stand out. Hopefully Belliveau can prove me wrong.

Its just one person's perspective but not very reassuring :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Smooth fluid skating Q defenseman who has a smart three zone game. An excellent puck carrier who also the Oceanic power play QB. He slides as he walks the blue line creating shooting and passing lanes. Has rum to fill in his frame. Doesn’t stand out with any flashy dominant traits, just plays most phases at an above average level. Displays solid positioning and gap control and uses an active stick to break up attack plays. Forces attacker to the corners with strong stick work and gap control.
—Bill Placzek—
had a great year last year, bad this year. which one?

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Cool.. just what we need is another LHD… we definitely don’t have enough on the NHL or AHL roster

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This team hasn't drafted a LD since 2017, and it seems pretty likely neither of those guys will be in the system by the end of summer. Insomuch as position matters for players likely to miss, he actually fits a need in the pipeline. I presume Andy knows that the current roster is pretty irrelevant when considered a guy who won't be making his AHL debut until 2023 most likely...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Andy's pessimism is in mid-season form if he's grumbling about a 5th round pick who is like 99% never gonna sniff NHL ice, let alone soon enough to make an impact in the Sid/Geno era.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Belliveau only has one junior year left. Possible he comes back as an overager in 22/23 as Gatineau will be a Memorial Cup favorite, however, they could put him in the AHL after next year if they wanted.

In his first junior season he was a surprising cut by Rimouski and played an extra year of minor hockey.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Andy's pessimism is in mid-season form if he's grumbling about a 5th round pick who is like 99% never gonna sniff NHL ice, let alone soon enough to make an impact in the Sid/Geno era.
truly a greatly honed skill, that andy has been working on for a very long time. we can only hope to aspire that some day we too may ascend to such highest.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Belliveau only has one junior year left. Possible he comes back as an overager in 22/23 as Gatineau will be a Memorial Cup favorite, however, they could put him in the AHL after next year if they wanted.

In his first junior season he was a surprising cut by Rimouski and played an extra year of minor hockey.

Oh nice.

Do you think that's likely a good choice with where he is development wise/you happy with the pick?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'll defer to Jesse but everything I've read makes the kid out to be the anti-Petts. Offensively gifted, creative, good vision, great pass, and drives the play but has defensive issues.

Reactions: Doogle

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Oops didnt see the above post lol
Yeah, I saw it, that's why mentioned Jesse and his Petts comparison. :laugh: He sounds like the anti-Petts. But again, Jesse knows and cares about this shit an infinite amount more than I do, ever have, or ever will, so I'll just shrug and forget the kid ever existed from here on out. :laugh:

Reactions: dogthateats

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Oh nice.

Do you think that's likely a good choice with where he is development wise/you happy with the pick?

I'd guess that they would want to bring him into the AHL as soon as possible, so I suspect next year will be his last junior season.

I'm fine with the pick. Not where i would have gone with it, but anyone being picked this late has significant holes in their game so they are all essentially lottery tickets. I just would have picked different numbers. The scouting report that he is above average at everything on the offensive side of things (relative to junior talent) is accurate. You won't be in awe of his skating like some offensive D, but its not a weakness. He doesn't have a bomb of a shot, but he can find lanes and gets the puck on net. Vision isn't out of the ordinary, but he can make the tape to tape passes when they are there, etc... He's strong positionally in the D zone, but doesn't seem to have strength/tenacity to real muscle guys over along the boards and around the net.

Next year will be ineresting. Gatineau has a ton of young talent who are legit NHL prospects (Dean, Verreault, Luneau to name a few), so I would expect him to put up some big numbers if he is on their top PP unit all year.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad