D Erik Brannstrom (2017, 15th, VGK - Traded to OTT)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I just think it's silly to suggest that 12 professional scouting staffs wouldn't take mono into account in weighing their analysis.

I have no problem with Leafs fans being hopeful about Liljegren. Anyone who thinks he can't be a great player is out to lunch.

Also I don't care how the prospect poll goes. I was merely pointing out that one swede is getting defended and hyped with the kind of vigor that can only be sourced from having the largest fanbase behind it. It's too early to say whether it's justified or not but it's also too early to make claims like Toronto won the draft and that Liljegren is a top 10 prospect in all of hockey.

bingo. best post i've seen on this forum in a while.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I just think it's silly to suggest that 12 professional scouting staffs wouldn't take mono into account in weighing their analysis.
How does someone factor in mono in their analysis? The only person who truly knows how an injury or in this case an illness affected their season is the player himself. Scouts aren't medical professionals and nor do they have access to such records for players. They show up, take in the games and make a determination based on those viewings.

Mono should not be used to prop the player up as better than he really is, even though some Leafs fans are using it that way. Mono does mean though that the player's play may not be an accurate reflection of his talent and more information is required to truly determine how much of a role it played in a player's performance. This is why people need to wait and see how the player performs this following year before branding him as a star or a "low IQ" player.

I see a lot of folks putting emphasis on "scouting reports", since when have scouts ever been great at predicting the development of 17/18 year old defenseman? According to these same reports Liljegren was supposedly poor defensively but in the few years that I have been watching the SHL I have yet to see a teenage defenseman that was great defensively. He certainly did not have any issues holding his own among his peers in the WJSS.

Also I don't care how the prospect poll goes. I was merely pointing out that one swede is getting defended and hyped with the kind of vigor that can only be sourced from having the largest fanbase behind it. It's too early to say whether it's justified or not but it's also too early to make claims like Toronto won the draft and that Liljegren is a top 10 prospect in all of hockey.

I also see a lot of negativity directed towards one Swede while another has received nothing but praise. There are legitimate reasons why someone might not be very high on a prospect but if you go through the last Liljegren thread you will see a lot of pettiness and a lot of people that just want to see an 18 year old fail. The Brannstrom thread is actually a much better read than the Liljegren thread which consists of a few homers and a few folks who are only interested in stirring the pot. You have to wade through a lot of crap to get to the actual discussion. This thread seems far better in comparison because its too early for Knights homers to exist and its too early for people to passionately hate the Knights. ;)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do you think if a team like Florida, Arizona, Anaheim, or hell even Vegas drafted Liljegren that would be the case? He's gonna beat a handful of guys who were drafted higher than him cause he ah...had mono. Yeah that's it. If it weren't for that mono he probably would've gone third overall.

That entire poll has been conducted dubiously. And let's be real. If Liljegren and Brannstrom had switched draft position we'd be hearing the latter's name a lot more than the former's
The thing you are forgetting is a bunch of people had Liljegren higher than most of the people listed prior to the draft. I personally had Liljegren ahead, and everyone I had ahead has been ranked (Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi, Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson, Glass, Mittelstadt, Necas). Brannstrom's a great prospect, but let's not act like he was universally ahead in rankings prior to the draft. I'm pretty sure Pronman was the only person to have him ahead.

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales

I have no problem with Leafs fans being hopeful about Liljegren. Anyone who thinks he can't be a great player is out to lunch.

Excellent post fella .

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Brannstrom is a solid pick. Vegas really had a solid draft.

I hope they don't rush any of these guys.

Have another strong draft next year and take off.

Odds are thoroughly stacked against any of the top 4 picks by Vegas to make the team.

There's a log jam at both forward and defense, and multiple trades would have to be made for one of them to even have a chance.

Does McPhee have a history of rushing prospects?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Odds are thoroughly stacked against any of the top 4 picks by Vegas to make the team.

There's a log jam at both forward and defense, and multiple trades would have to be made for one of them to even have a chance.

Does McPhee have a history of rushing prospects?
Not really in recent history with McPhee guys like Backstrom and Alzner were not in the NHL in their d+1. Gallant played young guys in Florida, but they were more highly regarded (Ekblad).

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Do you think if a team like Florida, Arizona, Anaheim, or hell even Vegas drafted Liljegren that would be the case? He's gonna beat a handful of guys who were drafted higher than him cause he ah...had mono. Yeah that's it. If it weren't for that mono he probably would've gone third overall.

That entire poll has been conducted dubiously. And let's be real. If Liljegren and Brannstrom had switched draft position we'd be hearing the latter's name a lot more than the former's

In Bob McKenzkie's pre-draft rankings that strive to be the consensus of scouts, Liljegren was 16th and Brannstrom was 29th. But because Vegas took Brannstrom two spots ahead in the actual draft it's ridiculous to consider Lilejegren the better prospect?

I really like Brannstrom and think both he and Liljegren should have been top 10 picks. I think it's very reasonable to prefer either one and don't understand why two spots in draft order should be the biggest factor here.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Brannstrom doesn't need defending when no one in his prospect thread is going at him and his supporters like some are with Liljegren in his thread and his supporters.

I don't think either guy is clearly ahead of the other. I was on the Brannstrom train for the Leafs thinking he'd be our best shot at a skilled defenseman. I didn't think Liljegren would be there otherwise he'd be my first choice.

Regardless, can we stop bringing up either guy in the others thread? That'd be great.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Brannstrom is way ahead of Liljegren, it's not close. Brannstrom controlled the game offensively and defensively every shift he played. Liljegren needs a couple more years to clean his game up, very good upside though.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Brannstrom doesn't need defending when no one in his prospect thread is going at him and his supporters like some are with Liljegren in his thread and his supporters.

I don't think either guy is clearly ahead of the other. I was on the Brannstrom train for the Leafs thinking he'd be our best shot at a skilled defenseman. I didn't think Liljegren would be there otherwise he'd be my first choice.

Regardless, can we stop bringing up either guy in the others thread? That'd be great.

I think it's a very valid comparison between the two so I enjoy the back and forth. What I do not enjoy, is everything having to do with the Leafs organization themselves. Talk about the players, their upsides, etc. but the Maple Leafs fan base especially has nothing to do with it.

And I say this as a Sens fan with a great dislike of the Leafs. Yeah, do some prospects get overhyped due to having the largest fan-base...yeah....but there are a lot of civil and respectable fans on both sides that can compare and contrast these two.

It will be very interesting to follow their development curves over the next couple of years.

Being the same Nationality will make it even easier to compare the two over the years. Next years WJC is going to be fun.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think it's a very valid comparison between the two so I enjoy the back and forth. What I do not enjoy, is everything having to do with the Leafs organization themselves. Talk about the players, their upsides, etc. but the Maple Leafs fan base especially has nothing to do with it.

And I say this as a Sens fan with a great dislike of the Leafs. Yeah, do some prospects get overhyped due to having the largest fan-base...yeah....but there are a lot of civil and respectable fans on both sides that can compare and contrast these two.

It will be very interesting to follow their development curves over the next couple of years.

Being the same Nationality will make it even easier to compare the two over the years. Next years WJC is going to be fun.

Comparing them is fine. I think it's a very natural one as well. However, clearly baiting fans in the respective threads of each player is BS though (see the third post in the Liljegren prospect thread as an example).

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Brannstrom is way ahead of Liljegren, it's not close. Brannstrom controlled the game offensively and defensively every shift he played. Liljegren needs a couple more years to clean his game up, very good upside though.

Brannstrom has his warts as well. He needs to get stronger, he got hemmed in the zone quite a few times and seemed especially helpless when the other team got the cycle going. He was far from dominant defensively. They are both going to need at minimum another year and most likely two years to make an impact at the NHL level. I love both players but people need to pump the brakes on the hype.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Brannstrom has his warts as well. He needs to get stronger, he got hemmed in the zone quite a few times and seemed especially helpless when the other team got the cycle going. He was far from dominant defensively. They are both going to need at minimum another year and most likely two years to make an impact at the NHL level. I love both players but people need to pump the brakes on the hype.

A good cycle is not an easy thing to deal with even in the NHL, other than his lack of size he looked pretty dominate in the dzone with his puck possession and passing.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Even mods derail threads with Liljegren I guess...came in hoping to read about Brannstrom, why are you guys talking about the Timuth?

People came in to talk about the poll of which Brannstrom was involved, I shared my opinion as to why a poll was going a certain way. Am I wrong? If Liljergen was drafted by the Panthers or Coyotes do you think he'd have the same amount of votes right now? If anything I'm complimenting the size of the Leafs fanbase.

That said, enough is in fact enough and we should keep this about Brannstrom.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Sweden is going to have a really good blueline at the WJC with Dahlin, Liljegren and Brannstrom.

I like Brannstrom's creativity with the puck. I think Vegas got a good one. Toronto got a good one too, and whoever lands Dahlin will be pretty happy too.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
both brannstrom and Liljegren shoulda been top 5 picks.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think Sweden is going to have a really good blueline at the WJC with Dahlin, Liljegren and Brannstrom.

I like Brannstrom's creativity with the puck. I think Vegas got a good one. Toronto got a good one too, and whoever lands Dahlin will be pretty happy too.

Here's hoping I can see a Brannstrom-Dahlin pairing at the T-Mobile Arena in the not too distant future.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
brannstrom, makar, and liljegren all looked pretty good and equal to me, they all showed great speed and skating, made good decisions, showed offensive potential, made mistakes, did stuff right did stuff wrong...we'll see how they develop

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
brannstrom, makar, and liljegren all looked pretty good and equal to me, they all showed great speed and skating, made good decisions, showed offensive potential, made mistakes, did stuff right did stuff wrong...we'll see how they develop

All from this draft as well. Pretty solid representation.

I have really liked what I have seen from Brannstrom.. Makar looks like a good QB type of D , Top paring projection imo. Liljegren is very good but I like the other 2 more.

Some really good puck moving D on the horizon it would seem.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I knew half the posts in here would be about Timothy.L and not Brännström.

On another note. Too bad Sweden only seems to be able to produce high-end defencemen.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I knew half the posts in here would be about Timothy.L and not Brännström. 😄

On another note. Too bad Sweden only seems to be able to produce high-end defencemen.

And all the same type. It's pretty interesting how the high caliber prospects coming out of Sweden are all offensive defensemen.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
People came in to talk about the poll of which Brannstrom was involved, I shared my opinion as to why a poll was going a certain way. Am I wrong? If Liljergen was drafted by the Panthers or Coyotes do you think he'd have the same amount of votes right now? If anything I'm complimenting the size of the Leafs fanbase.

That said, enough is in fact enough and we should keep this about Brannstrom.

Honestly I bet more. Wouldn't be the polar reversal on him and mass attempt to re-write his standing as a prospect.

Lol the whistleblower who came in here crying wolf about the big bad leafs fan base votng in their guy unjustly had him ahead of Makar and Petterson pre draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad