Olympics: Czechs vs Russia

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Fedotov would want that back.

Russia goes to a quarter and rest.

We go to a very hard qualifier. 2 wins over Swiss and Russia is good for confidence I suppose.

Congrats to Denmark for finishing 2nd in this pool!

Good luck Russia... I really like your chances of getting to finals.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
It seems like Russia will play against the winner of Denmark/Switzerland in 1/4
because Germany won't beat USA
China won't beat Canada
And I don't think that FIN will win with 3+ goals or SWE with 6+ in their matchup.

So Russia will finish 3rd, Denmark 6th and Switzerland 11th.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Russians are 2-0 and have beat 2 very patient and defensive teams while sorting out their lines and not wasting a lot of energy and without injury. I'd say they are doing great and holding their status as Tourney Fav (with Finns).

Sobotka and Smejkal on PK makes me happy. I think Smejkal is going to make NHL as a UFA. Not a superstar but he'll get some seasons in IMO. Big fan.

True, but in the games against the Swiss and Denmark, you almost wanted them to stop the game and take a pulse reading to make sure the Russian team was still alive. No energy or passion, only going through the motions. I don't where they will finish, but they are not particularly talented, and I just do not think they are hungry enough to fight for a Gold Medal!

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Let's wait and see first. This is tourney of upsets. I'd call that match very even.

I would hate to face the Swiss or Denmark again. So patient.

US is about a 70-30 favorite vs Germany but only -1.5...that game could go either way for sure

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
True, but in the games against the Swiss and Denmark, you almost wanted them to stop the game and take a pulse reading to make sure the Russian team was still alive. No energy or passion, only going through the motions. I don't where they will finish, but they are not particularly talented, and I just do not think they are hungry enough to fight for a Gold Medal!
Those were our games too! Against Denmark we controlled and shot.... but couldn't score. Against the Swiss we went to the shootout. At that point I made a joke that both teams will send a guy in and when he crosses the blue line and will dump it in the corner and skate off. It was the most boring game in history!!! This is not a knock on Swiss as we were part of too. Just awful to watch though.

They are both so disciplined and will not flinch. Very hard to play against. I'd actually rather play a more offensive minded team in the qualifer and if we never play Swiss or Denmark again.. I'm fine with it!

Then you get this game which could've had circus music playing in the backgroun.lol

Good luck.. I can't see you guys not going deep.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It seems like Russia will play against the winner of Denmark/Switzerland in 1/4
because Germany won't beat USA
China won't beat Canada
And I don't think that FIN will win with 3+ goals or SWE with 6+ in their matchup.

So Russia will finish 3rd, Denmark 6th and Switzerland 11th.

If Latvia/Slovakia ends in regulation then that loser gets the 11th seed and Swiss get the 10 seed.

Assuming US beats Germany in regulation, that puts the Czech’s in the 7 seed.

Is this a hard bracket all the way through to the final or do reseed for the semis? (I know they don’t for the quarters as it is back to back days).

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
If Latvia/Slovakia ends in regulation then that loser gets the 11th seed and Swiss get the 10 seed.

Assuming US beats Germany in regulation, that puts the Czech’s in the 7 seed.

Is this a hard bracket all the way through to the final or do reseed for the semis? (I know they don’t for the quarters as it is back to back days).

Yep, forgot about that one. But I smell an OT there.

And I think the bracket will be set after tomorrow's game. Need to google for the 2018 tournament to see if it's the case.

Edit : Yep, the bracket is set and they won't reseed.
Ice hockey at the 2018 Winter Olympics – Men's tournament - Wikipedia

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yep, forgot about that one. But I smell an OT there.

And I think the bracket will be set after tomorrow's game. Need to google for the 2018 tournament to see if it's the case.

What’s the second tie breaker? Because if Slovakia beats Latvia in OT then Latvia and Swiss are tied on GD at -4. If Latvia beats Slovakia in OT then the Swiss finish as the 10 seed given Slovakia’s GD.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
By the way. FIN and SWE should go to OT and then play for real.
Because if they don't go to OT the loser will certainly have to play China and the next day against Canada in 1/4

But with an OT FIN and SWE will both qualify for 1/4 and then the loser will still play Canada in 1/4 but with 1 day rest while Canada will play 2 times in a row against China (group stage and 1/8) lol

What’s the second tie breaker? Because if Slovakia beats Latvia in OT then Latvia and Swiss are tied on GD at -4. If Latvia beats Slovakia in OT then the Swiss finish as the 10 seed given Slovakia’s GD.

1. higher position in the group
  2. higher number of points
  3. better goal difference
  4. higher number of goals scored for
  5. better IIHF World Ranking.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad