GDT: Czech Republic - US of A

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
The temperature is rising, the fans are getting excited, the beer is being chilled and… The Czechs are gearing up for disappointment! Yes, the quarterfinal between the Czech Republic and the USA is finally here.

The Americans have so far played some excellent hockey and are rightfully considered the favorites here.

The Czechs have played roughly 2 periods of good hockey so far, spread over two games, but to be fair, there has been an almost unprecedented level of injuries, with new injuries emerging every day. So I don’t want to be too critical of how my team has played.

That said, most Czechs posting here agree that in addition to the injuries there have been many self-inflicted wounds: Kari Jalonen’s defensive Finnish style that has brought so much success to Finland just is not suitable to us (not to mention boring to watch), and he has made many personnel decisions that have quite frankly been incomprehensible. The disdain for some NHL players and all AHL players who would have been available is palpable, given the selection of much less suitable players from the Czech league instead.

Even though Jalonen was initially widely greeted with enthusiasm and approval by Czechs as a breath of fresh air and remains popular on a personal level (nice guy), his decisions are increasingly questioned by Czech experts, former players and the public, so unless somehow this tournament ends in massive success I do not expect him to be the coach next year at the Prague tournament.

I am not too optimistic about our chances today, and I am usually reasonably optimistic. I do think we have a chance, but looking at everything that has happened so far I think victory is unlikely. So far sadly most Czechs’ predictions of the games against the stronger teams have been spot-on (most of us predicted losses against Switzerland and Canada after the initial five games, and that’s exactly what happened), and I don’t see that changing today. That said, I will of course be supporting the team and hoping for a surprise!

Češi do toho!

Last edited:

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
The temperature is rising, the fans are getting excited, the beer is being chilled and… The Czechs are gearing up for disappointment! Yes, the quarterfinal between the Czech Republic and the USA is finally here.

The Americans have so far played some excellent hockey and are rightfully considered the favorites here.

The Czechs have played roughly 2 periods of good hockey so far, spread over two games, but to be fair, there has been an almost unprecedented level of injuries, with new injuries emerging every day. So I don’t want to be too critical of how my team has played.

That said, most Czechs posting here agree that in addition to the injuries there have been many self-inflicted wounds: Kari Jalonen’s defensive Finnish style that has brought so much success to Finland just is not suitable to us (not to mention boring to watch), and he has made many personnel decisions that have quite frankly been incomprehensible. The disdain for some NHL players and all AHL players who would have been available is palpable, given the selection of much less suitable players from the Czech league instead.

Even though Jalonen was initially widely greeted with enthusiasm and approval by Czechs as a breath of fresh air and remains popular on a personal level (nice guy), his decisions are increasingly questioned by Czech experts, former players and the public, so unless somehow this tournament ends in massive success I do not expect him to be the coach next year at the Prague tournament.

I am not too optimistic about our chances today, and I am usually reasonably optimistic. I do think we have a chance, but looking at everything that has happened so far I think victory is unlikely. So far sadly most Czechs’ predictions of the games against the stronger teams have been spot-on (most of us predicted losses against Switzerland and Canada after the initial five games, and that’s exactly what happened), and I don’t see that changing today. That said, I will of course be supporting the team and hoping for a surprise!

Češi do toho!
Nothing to add to this. 100% agree with everything. Maybe just:

I think that only way for Jalonen to stay or to have the right to stay with Czech nt for next season is to bring a medal after three absolutelly beautifully played games. Which we all know its not gonna happen.

I am convinced that he should go even if we by some luck advance to the semis and score a bronze or something. The performances under him are just so weak, that no matter the result at this WCH I just dont want to see our team play like this anymore.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Nothing to add to this. 100% agree with everything. Maybe just:

I think that only way for Jalonen to stay or to have the right to stay with Czech nt for next season is to bring a medal after three absolutelly beautifully played games. Which we all know its not gonna happen.

I am convinced that he should go even if we by some luck advance to the semis and score a bronze or something. The performances under him are just so weak, that no matter the result at this WCH I just dont want to see our team play like this anymore.

Accidentally posted.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Accidentally posted.
Yes, it is very frustrating. He has also been a real record breaker, coaching us to our first ever defeat against the mighty Austria last year and against Latvia this year. We only turned it around last year and played more attractively with Pasta arriving and some of the creative players just ignoring the system and doing their thing. This doesn’t take away from the fact that he is obviously a very qualified coach with a good track record, but it seems that he is simply trying to apply a system that works in Finland to a very different set of players and circumstances, and it just doesn’t work. And in terms of the style that he plays, it’s the most frustrating, dull and downright ugly style of play I have seen from a Czech team in many, many years.

Last edited:

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Yes, it is very frustrating. He has also been a real record breaker, coaching us to our first ever defeat against the mighty Austria last year and against Latvia this year. We only turned it around last year and played more attractively with Pasta arriving and some of the creative players just ignoring the system and doing their thing. This doesn’t take away from the fact that he is obviously a very qualified coach with a good track record, but it seems that he is simply trying to apply a system that works in Finland to a very different set of players and circumstances, and it just doesn’t work. And in terms of the style that he plays, it’s the most frustrating, dull and downright ugly style of play I have seen from a Czech team in many, many years.
If you think about it, that bronze last year wasnt exactly an amazing result also, considering how stacked team we had, including our best and one of the best players in the world in there. And still got thrashed by Canada 6:1.

Thats what I discussed in the other thread, maybe the problem is not the poor selection of players, or lack of quality because injuries etc. But its that style of play, that just absolutelly dont suit us.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
If you think about it, that bronze last year wasnt exactly an amazing result also, considering how stacked team we had, including our best and one of the best players in the world in there. And still got thrashed by Canada 6:1.

Thats what I discussed in the other thread, maybe the problem is not the poor selection of players, or lack of quality because injuries etc. But its that style of play, that just absolutelly dont suit us.
It is a combination of all the factors you list in the last paragraph of your post. Not selecting all of your best available players in favour of the system of play and team dynamics is fine. But we have a system that does not actually work for us, so the team is less, not more, than the sum of the individual players we do have.

Reactions: Czechboy

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think this particular U.S team is fired up now and just on too much of a roll at the moment for the Czechs to handle today. They might get tested but I think they go through.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The other side by side comparisons were for the most part a lot less balanced… I think we were only up in two categories and otherwise behind the Americans by virtually all other metrics.
A standout goalie performance will go a long way towards advancing today..........provided Jalonens defensive system does the job in front of him.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
A standout goalie performance will go a long way towards advancing today..........provided Jalonens defensive system does the job in front of him.
Don’t remind me of Jalonen’s defensive system :) Vejmelka is at 95.56% so far I think, very good performance in the loss against Canada.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Češi do toho!
Beauty write up and summary

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Don’t remind me of Jalonen’s defensive system :) Vejmelka is at 95.4% so far I think, very good performance in the loss against Canada.
IF the players execute it well , it can work for one game,

This is a fast team U.S.A..........it's also a really young one, frustrating them is pretty key.

Reactions: maclean

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Our youngest is NHL tweener and potential bust Martin Kaut. He is 24. That is our youngest player.

We did a 3 goalie rotation and started with 'we have no number 1' while Karel Vejmelka was sitting right f***en there! He flew over and got sat for the first 4 games.

Promising youngster Stanislav Svozil was flown in from an NHL game to play 15 minutes in Brno and be cut immediately after.

Promising youngster Jakub Lauko legit came out and asked to be one of the injury replacements and they said no and brought in veteran Euro Raden Lenc (healthy scratch today).

None of our promising AHLers (who would dominate the Extraliga) were given a look.

You see, we need veterans that never had a hope in hell of playing in the NHL and are past that window (most never enterred it) like Dvorak, Nemecek, Hrubec. It's about the pro game and we are good Extraliga pros!

Who on earth would play amateurs when you have pros??? It's stupid!

Oh wait, here comes the undefeated US team with the majority of their players in the NCAA or AHL (which the Czechs don't acknowledge as a pro league). They sprinkled in a few NHLers and away they went and beat the shit out of everyone. I want to be clear, if the NCAA and AHL guys for the US were Czech.. they wouldn't have even got a look! But soon we'll be complaining how fast they are and how well they play!

The Extraliga is a place for teenagers to not play (Svozil and Kulich come to mind) our guys that never got drafted to play. Lastly, it's a place for guys who's careers are winding down to end up. That is half of our team.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Keys to Czech victory:

1. Karel Vejmelka.. but watch him lose and the Czechs say bullshit like 'see, NHL goalies aren't all that'. Curious how many nations are benching their NHL goalie today? I'm guessing none.

2. Half this team was in a quarter last year and won bronze. They are a fun group. Bunch of them look like Mario right now and the intangibles are there. They won't quit and they love the NT.

3. We have so many good players on a slump.. it'd almost impossible for some of our guys to go 8 games without scoring a goal or point. Looking at your Tomasek, Vozelink, Kaut, Smejkal and newly arrived Zohorna. They need to make something happen.

4. we have a world class coach with a plan.

5. Our 4th line could've been an EHT first line and maybe they stepup.

I'm looking at the Smejkal line to make an impact.

Also, one last gripe as it's time to cheer.. brining in Jakub Zboril and pairing him with Jordan is just cruel.

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Good luck to the US.. you've sent your G team and have already beaten the FInn's and Swedes. You've been a consistent final 4 player in the last 5 years. It'd be an amazing story if you won it all. Very likeable team to be honest. I hope our federation is paying attention because we have similar players in our system but our GM (Martin Havlat) would have to buy a subscription to ahl.com to actually know that.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad