Czech Republic: Czech National Team (A, U20, U18, U17, U16)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yeah, it should be a competetive team. I think the biggest question mark is Prikryl, who was a key player for this team for years and he should be available, since his team is not going anywhere, but you can't ignore his very weak season. I very much doubt Barinka is available since Halifax is going far this year. And also I wonder if Novak gets back on track is good enough to compete for a spot as an underager. He is having a weak season.

As of today I see like this:
Raska - Pytlik - Muzik
Mysak - Najman - Teply
Lang - Prikryl - Psenicka
Beranek - Peterek - Toman
Cermak(?), Novak

Zurek - Has
Mlcak - Kubicek
Poizl - Blaha
Kucerik, Suhrada

Malik
Parik
Bednar/Skorpik

I think Pytlik might be RW from now on, unless next year in the Sault they try him at center.

Renmar

Nov 23, 2018
Krnov
Well, the conclusions seem pretty reasonable. I miss something about the defense problem though. Let's see what the real implementations will look like.
I also wonder how many teams we are talking with the narrowing. I fear we're talking something like 2-4.
Král wants 16 teams in the junior league.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
So a 6-3 win against Finland today at the 5-nations tournament. I managed to watch bits of it. Teply got a couple of goals, he really stood out for me today. Raska also had two with Muzik and Najman the other two. Our top 6 is pretty good. Not sure about Barinka though if he's been a healthy scratch for Halifax recently.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
So a 6-3 win against Finland today at the 5-nations tournament. I managed to watch bits of it. Teply got a couple of goals, he really stood out for me today. Raska also had two with Muzik and Najman the other two. Our top 6 is pretty good. Not sure about Barinka though if he's been a healthy scratch for Halifax recently.
Watched the whole game, I would add the goalie Parik as a standout too. Made good saves in the 2nd period when Finland pushed us a lot (especially before our 4th goal) and then right at the end. Honestly the last 4-5 minutes were pretty scary, you would think with a 4 goal lead they will just easily close it out, but Finland scored their third and then had some pressure (actually scored a quick 4th as well, but it was ruled high stick)
Barinka looked decent, I was ready to rant about him being our 1C, but he does have some skill. I like Najman and Peterek at C position better though (and Pytlik as well, but who knows if he gets released for the U18s.)

Reactions: Swipes

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Has anyone seen Frantisek Formanek play? He leads the U-16 league in points as a 14 year old. 56 points 29 goals in 30 gp.
Seems to be a few other really good players including Slavíček, Menšík and even 13 yo Dominik Petr..
The u-16 team seems to be playing pretty well as a whole.

Reactions: czech

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Our D was showing some promise but the ones succeeding all had bad luck... the others are buried.

Simek was coming on and cemented as a full time NHLer - done for season.
Kempny is cemented as a full time NHLer - done for awhile.
Hajek, against all odds, came in and was doing awesome - done for awhile.

Hronek is doing well.
Sulak finally gets the call to come back to the NHL and get's sick and can't play.

Rutta, Sustr, Jerabek are all buried somewhere or another.

One of Moravcik/Sklenica ended up in ECHL and back in Europe. Can't remember which one.
Pyrochta has been splitting season between ECHL and AHL

Masin and Zboril don't look like they're coming to the NHL this season at all.

I'm really curious who are startin 6 D are at World's.. hoping for Gudas/Hronek and that might be all as I think rest in North America will be in AHL playoffs. Any young D doing very well in Europe?

vtmx

Aug 27, 2019
Prague, CZE
We did great at the U20 tourney in Perm a couple of days ago. I watched the Finland game and it was the best junior national team performance I've seen in a long time. Honestly getting my hopes up for the World Championships in December.

Reactions: czech

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
We did great at the U20 tourney in Perm a couple of days ago. I watched the Finland game and it was the best junior national team performance I've seen in a long time. Honestly getting my hopes up for the World Championships in December.
Watched both Finland and Sweden games, don't share the optimism.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Why not? We held our own for most of the game against Finland.
Czech team will rely heavily on goalies, the defensive core is very bad. Not to mention the opponents at the actual WJC will be far better than what Finland or Sweden brought to this friendly tournament.
Considering we will have home ice advantage, who knows, but Czech junior teams underwhelm at major tournamets year after year. You are setting yourself up for a rude awakening if you think Czechs will play noteworthy role at the WJC. In fact, I would say it's not out of question Czechs end up in the relegation group.

Our junior league is stopped for a while. GOOD JOB KRAL, GOOD JOB!
I feel bad for the players, but otherwise it's a good thing. Reminder to Kral and co. they can't do whatever they want. No matter the result, it hurts Czech hockey and shows how incompetent people run the Czech hockey association.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Training camps starting up... I'm wondering if we will have more or less NHLers this year. This years draft might not produce any Czech NHL players for a few seasons (or not at all).

Technically, 36 Czechs (not goalies) saw ice time in the NHL.

NHL.com - Stats

On their way out from the list of 36 are Jaskin, Sustr, Hyka, Sedlak, Plekanec, Sulak and Jerabek (7)

On their way in are, hopefully, Kubalik and Kaut (2). Anyone I missed?

Hopefully Zadina, Hajek, Necas and Chlapik get more ice time and games this season.

Not sure if Masin or Zboril ever crack the lineup as starters?

We had 4 goalies last year with Neuvirth, Mrazek, Rittich and Francouz all seeing at least a game.
Mrazek and Rittich have very good chances at becoming starters. Neuvirth will have to battle it out to get on the Leaf's squad. 50-50. Francouz should get a lot more starts (30?). NYI made a bad move with Skarek as he's leaving good coaching and league in Finland to either be a backup in the AHL or starter in the ECHL. Korenar, Vladar, Vanecek might finally get a debut?

Overall, it's pretty bleak. Hopefully Simek and Kempny are fully healed and Hronek has a very good season.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czech team will rely heavily on goalies, the defensive core is very bad. Not to mention the opponents at the actual WJC will be far better than what Finland or Sweden brought to this friendly tournament.
Considering we will have home ice advantage, who knows, but Czech junior teams underwhelm at major tournamets year after year. You are setting yourself up for a rude awakening if you think Czechs will play noteworthy role at the WJC. In fact, I would say it's not out of question Czechs end up in the relegation group.

I feel bad for the players, but otherwise it's a good thing. Reminder to Kral and co. they can't do whatever they want. No matter the result, it hurts Czech hockey and shows how incompetent people run the Czech hockey association.
What happened?

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
What happened?

CSLH reduced number of participants in junior league by removing teams that were not "academies" (but kept Olomouc that isn't academie either in). Teams that were removed sued CSLH and court suspended junior league untill the case is solved. CSLH replaced it with DHL Cup that has same teams, same schedule and everything else as suspended league, just different name. We will see what court does next...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Add Zacha to departed list... Has this guy gone one season without controversy?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2020-12-2_10-33-9.png

The good news... we don't have any injuries and all our guys are available! I read Marcel Barinka is not going but I don't really see that as a huge loss.

The bad news... this is the best squad we have. I'm not that impressed by the D, Forwards or Goalies to be honest.

Has, Kubicek, Klikorka were all good last year so they should help. Might be time to give Svozil and Jiricek a chance?

Forwards will be carried by Mysak, Pytlik, Raska, Novak and Teply.

Parik is probably the starter.

More bad news... we are in a brutal pool with Russia, USA and Sweden (who also have most their top players available).

My pre tournament prediction is that we beat Austria in a close game, lose to USA, Russia and Sweden. Then we play Canada in quarters and lose easily. 1 win, 4 losses. I don't see our goals for and goals against being very pretty. I hope I'm dead wrong and will watch every game and cheer to the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad