CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Just reading about the theme park idea-and how at the same time AM might try and take advantage of that, but those opposed are actually wanting a change in the law so that it doesnt give Yotes tax related advantage they want. Seems like an interesting "Hey here's an interesting loophole we can look at" followed by "What, no, we are going to change it so you cant use it". I mean obviously it might be moot if AM doesnt win the auction, but its an interesting kind of chess game here.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
This is great...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240424-150624.png
    Screenshot_20240424-150624.png
    502.5 KB · Views: 4

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA
Here's a copy of the Coyotes TV rights map from 2001. Predates Vegas joining the league.

Two observations:
- Though the Coyotes were granted TV rights to portions of Nevada, they did not include Clark County, where Las Vegas itself is located. I presume the NHL didn't want to grant any team TV rights in Las Vegas proper? Or did one of the California teams hold those rights?

- Notably the 50-Mile Home Territory is defined as every county which is fully or partially within the 50 mile radius.

View attachment 858439
The Kings and many other LA teams had a long cable reach to AZ and NV as well as Hawaii (still).

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
I would like to welcome Utah to the NHL. I'm somewhat excited and intrigued by a team in Utah. I don't know how much actual hockey history there is down there, but I do feel this franchise needed a fresh start. There seems to be a lot of doubt about the long-term viability of Utah as a market, but if managed appropriately I do see the team staying for the long haul.

I'm sorry to say but Arizona simply isn't a major hockey market. It never has been and never will be (and that is okay because they are a great market for other professional American sport leagues), and this relocation was sorely needed, and should of happened years ago. Arizona was afforded all sorts of favouritism and opportunity to sort their situation out (15+ years!!!) that northern teams were not afforded during the great southern relocation or northern teams era of the 90s, one of those teams being my former team currently in SLC.

Regardless, that is all in the past. So with that, welcome to the NHL and perhaps one day I will make it down to SLC to see the Jets giving you a beat down on your own turf ;)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They're gonna put the Leafs/Bruins game on the screen, so that's cool.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
might be the first time I've seen the top of Clayton Kellers head as the team came off the plane and met crowd in the airport

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just reading about the theme park idea-and how at the same time AM might try and take advantage of that, but those opposed are actually wanting a change in the law so that it doesnt give Yotes tax related advantage they want. Seems like an interesting "Hey here's an interesting loophole we can look at" followed by "What, no, we are going to change it so you cant use it". I mean obviously it might be moot if AM doesnt win the auction, but its an interesting kind of chess game here.

It's absolutely hilarious that nobody balked at public money to go towards renovations at Footprint, a new baseball stadium, or a new football stadium using public funds. Now, a developer is trying to put up his own money, and just trying to add a tax(in the district itself, not anywhere else) to help recoup the costs, people are balking at it.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I can do away with the alternate but these colors and this logo and sweater are absolutely wonderful.View attachment 859013

I think it's subconsciously reminds us of those Jazz pattern disposable cups from the 1990s.

It's absolutely hilarious that nobody balked at public money to go towards renovations at Footprint, a new baseball stadium, or a new football stadium using public funds. Now, a developer is trying to put up his own money, and just trying to add a tax(in the district itself, not anywhere else) to help recoup the costs, people are balking at it.

No one balked at public money for a baseball stadium because it got them the team.

No one balked at public money for Footprint renovations because PHOENIX hadn't spent public money like that since the DBacks and the Suns being the longest tenured PHX team have the fan base.

No one balked at public money for a football stadium because (a) it's the NFL) and (b) Glendale was doing it, it got GLENDALE the Cardinals.

But no one balked at public money for Gila River Arena for the COYOTES in the first place because it got GLENDALE the Coyotes and all the plaza development.

Whereas for the TED project in Tempe, people balked... they HAVE Arizona State in Tempe, unlike Glendale with the Cardinals/Coyotes. They don't need sports/entertainment options like Glendale did.

And they're balking in North Scottsdale because North Scottsdale has always had easy access to Phoenix, Glendale and Tempe to all the teams and entertainment districts, but without having to have one (or pay for them).

It's total NIMBY, the people in North Scottsdale, THAT'S why they live in North Scottsdale: It's accessible while not being PHX/Tempe/Glendale.

AND of course, the ask has changed. It's not $400m for an arena, it's billions to enable the district they don't want, and what they get is a franchise they've always had access to. The stadiums in Glendale and Tempe (NFL, NHL, NCAA, Mullett) are straight shots on the 101, and MLB/NBA/WNBA are straight shot down 51).

So where's the value add to them?

A donation to the Kachinas and other Coyotes community projects (which should not be going on hiatus like the Coyotes) from the Smith family would certainly be applauded/appropriate.

Based on what Fry said on the broadcast during the final game, I'd expect that was part of the deal with Smith.

Reactions: Isles72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad