CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Apparently no one from Houston came calling to wave a billion dollars under their nose.

That might have made a titch of difference.
Only Fertitia can do it for the Toyota Center. If he doesn’t want to pay the NHL’s price he won’t get a team not that he’s dying for one.
Same applied back in the day for Portland and Paul Allen. If he ever wanted a team
NHL would have given him one.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
At the same time, my views on the NHL's Southern expansion have shifted over the years. I would not describe myself as a convert, but I do now get it. I understand the importance of having teams in places like Phoenix, Atlanta, and Houston.

I think this is also where I ended up after being a bit of a hater early on. It’s undeniable that the southern strategy began paying dividends over the past decade, things are going as planned. Phoenix ended up being a shit show on the business side for a variety of reasons, many of which go back to the very early days of the franchise, but slowly and steadily the foundations were being built. Vegas has been a success beyond my wildest imagination for that market, Sun Belt teams like Tampa Bay have proven they’re not the TV poison they were in the 00s.

I’m bullish on Utah because it’s a small market without much competition. The NBA is entrenched but also the only game in town. I think the neo-Yotes and Houston have promising futures too.

Reactions: htpwn

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I’ve been thinking a lot about Fugu as this all ends and I have to believe that she would be completely blindsided by the outcome
No

Fugu would have known that once the Tempe vote went bad 11 months ago the clock was ticking.

I think Bettman waved the white flag after a hotel GM in Boston complained the Coyotes had not paid their bill for their visit and he called Marty Walsh.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ryan Smith is writing a check for $1.2 BILLION for the Coyotes. The other 31 teams get a bonus check of $6,451,612 for allowing the transfer.

Smith is fully aware of how limited local TV income will be. The RSN model is only viable when you can attach adjacent markets and SLC doesn't have any. Phoenix, Vegas and Denver have the same problem.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
No

Fugu would have known that once the Tempe vote went bad 11 months ago the clock was ticking.

I think Bettman waved the white flag after a hotel GM in Boston complained the Coyotes had not paid their bill for their visit and he called Marty Walsh.
Is that true? The hotel-bill thing?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
32 Thoughts pod:

Elliotte says again that Meruelo must win the auction and make the payment. Must have state of the art arena in 5 years, but there are targets he has to hit along the way. No word yet on what all of those are or the process by which that’s determined.

Not sure what happens to the IP if Meruelo fails.

Meruelo can find minority investors, maybe up to 20% of the team and 49% of the arena, but cannot sell his rights.

Elliotte highlights that a lot of the skepticism comes from Meruelo needing cooperation from local governments/officials. My paraphrasing, given the deal and money made, money is not a reason he should fail. It’s really more on the local politics and mentioned trying to get the mayor of Phoenix on board.

Heard from a few people that if the Coyotes were not an up and coming team that this may not have happened.

Continuity is key for Utah, expects all key hockey personnel to remain. Whatever relationships were damaged are out of Utah’s control. But everyone has time to think about things. Ryan Smith wants everyone to know that whatever issues existed are things they no longer have to worry about. They no longer Free Parking on the Monopoly Board.

Andre Tourginy scored big points for standing up for people. Praised the fans for showing out this week, and the players because no one would’ve blamed them for getting blown out 40-2 in their last 4 games. Also the folks on the broadcast. Talks about folks like Lyndsey Fry and others in youth hockey who are determined to show that their operations are self-sustaining.

Last edited:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I’ve been thinking a lot about Fugu as this all ends and I have to believe that she would be completely blindsided by the outcome
I agree. Out of all the possiblities, I can definitely see her reaction as stunned and very much a
"I didnt have that on my bingo card" type of reaction. Would love to have seen her reactiion on the boards here.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I don't post much on HF anymore and it has been a long while since I lasted posted here on BoH. I remember the days of Jimmy Ball-Silly and Jerry Moyes, the Ice Edge clowns and perpetual fortnights, the weird lawsuits from random Bahamas-based companies and Glendale City Council meetings. It has been a strange ride.

I first got into these discussions because I wanted to see the team move to Southern Ontario. I still think the NHL has missed an opportunity in refusing to push aside the Leafs' objections and force a second team into this market. This is the largest hockey market in the world, but it is also a dramatically growing and changing city, and the NHL is ignoring those changes to the detriment to its market share, its revenues, and most importantly, to the sport itself.

At the same time, my views on the NHL's Southern expansion have shifted over the years. I would not describe myself as a convert, but I do now get it. I understand the importance of having teams in places like Phoenix, Atlanta, and Houston. I'm not convinced, mind you, that Salt Lake City is a place where the NHL should have ended up. It may be a growing market, but it still only has a population around 2 million, with no hockey pedigree, and an established NBA club. I do wonder if the league got a bit starry-eyed over this Ryan Smith fellow.

As for the Coyotes themselves, I came to dual conclusions a few years ago about the team: The first was that keeping the NHL in Phoenix was personal for Gary Bettman and the second was that Bettman's crusade to do it was half-assed and produced bad outcomes for all involved. In the case of the former, I think you still see that commitment in the league agreeing to declare the Coyotes an "inactive franchise," and the general concensus among insiders that the NHL wants to come back. In the case of the latter, I think you see it in Meruelo and his botched bid for the Tempe. It was Bettman and co. who approved Mereulo as an owner, it was Bettman and co. who brought in Daryl Jones before that, it was Bettman and co. who went to war with Glendale over a pittance of arena rent. If the NHL was really committed to this market, they could have put their money where their mouth was and probably would have made money in the end (Meurelo did!), but they didn't. Instead we got a parade of ass clowns as owners, arena uncertainties, and other sideshows that hurt fans and embarassed the league.

Anyways, I suppose this my sign-off on the Coyotes threads (and my thoughts on the relocation in general), even if I checked out long ago. I want to express my sympathies towards Coyotes fans and my hope that the NHL really does return in short-order. I also want to thank everyone for their insightful commentary and debates over the years, both to those still around, to those no longer posting, and of course to those who are no longer with us. Cheers, everyone.
Its nice seeing all the faces again over the past few days since I came back. Not surprising really that this recent news has brought back myself and others who either hadnt been on BOH or HF Boards in quite a long time. Theres still a few names Im hoping to see that MIGHT pop by still, but understand if they dont. Cheers!

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
32 Thoughts pod:

Elliotte says again that Meruelo must win the auction and make the payment. Must have state of the art arena in 5 years, but there are targets he has to hit along the way. No word yet on what all of those are or the process by which that’s determined.

Not sure what happens to the IP if Meruelo fails.

Meruelo can find minority investors, maybe up to 20% of the team and 49% of the arena, but cannot sell his rights.

Elliotte highlights that a lot of the skepticism comes from Meruelo needing cooperation from local governments/officials. My paraphrasing, given the deal and money made, money is not a reason he should fail. It’s really more on the local politics and mentioned trying to get the mayor of Phoenix on board.

Heard from a few people that if the Coyotes were not an up and coming team that this may not have happened.

Continuity is key for Utah, expects all key hockey personnel to remain. Whatever relationships were damaged are out of Utah’s control. But everyone has time to think about things. Ryan Smith wants everyone to know that whatever issues existed are things they no longer have to worry about. They no longer Free Parking on the Monopoly Board.

Andre Tourginy scored big points for standing up for people. Praised the fans for showing out this week, and the players because no one would’ve blamed them for getting blown out 40-2 in their last 4 games. Also the folks on the broadcast. Talks about folks like Lyndsey Fry and others in youth hockey who are determined to show that their operations are self-sustaining.

He cant sell his rights? So essentially he has this until he either gets land, arena, ec, or doesnt within next 5 years but hes stuck with it until then. Thats interesting.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Giving Arizona a 2nd chance at NHL. team is about as stupid as giving Atlanta 3rd chance at team when it is clear that Georgia & Arizona are not hockey markets that is why they failed in the first place .

Let me tell something hockey has grown as big as it is going to get in the USA. it will never reach the popularity of the 90's ever again so the NHL. better get used being the 4th most popular sport in the USA. .

When the NHL. decides to expand again go to markets where you can make a lot of money & make it fast they should go markets that are starving for NHL. hockey not markets that hockey is a pure novelty sport & once that wears off they be playing in half or even quarter full arenas losing 100's of millions of dollars so if the NHL. was smart they would go to the markets listed bellow .

Houston
Southern Ontario (Hamilton)
Quebec City
Kansas City
Three of those places had NHL teams and the fourth had a WHA team. Every one of them would literally be a second chance.

Reactions: RoyalAir

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ryan Smith is writing a check for $1.2 BILLION for the Coyotes. The other 31 teams get a bonus check of $6,451,612 for allowing the transfer.

Smith is fully aware of how limited local TV income will be. The RSN model is only viable when you can attach adjacent markets and SLC doesn't have any. Phoenix, Vegas and Denver have the same problem.
Someone said I think that Vegas and Seattle don’t get a cut

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
No

I mean the negotiated settlement for the expansion team and the rapid emergence of Utah over the course of like a single year without any real grassroots movement preceding it

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

I listened to this, two things stood out:

Meruelo confirmed that he can't transfer the rights, and must hold on to the team for some period after it comes back.

He emphasized that he needs political support from the city. Given that the mayor wasn't taking his calls, not a great sign.

If I'm reading this right he has 6 weeks to get the mayor on board. If he doesn't achieve that, will he push ahead with trying to win the auction? It would seem to be an uphill battle to raise funding for the project without support from the city, and he doesn't have the funds himself without liquidating a ton of assets.

At the end of the day, I think Meruelo wants to be "in the club" of pro sports ownership. This is more than an asset for him - he already tried to acquire an NBA team previous to this. This may be his only shot at getting an NHL team, but perhaps a MLS team would be more achievable.

One last thing: he looked really uncomfortable in the interview. Perhaps it's why you don't see him in a prominent public role.

Reactions: MaskedSonja

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Would be good to know when exactly he needs to get whatever he’s supposed to need from the city. Does he show up to the auction without it?

May be why the comments from the Scottsdale mayor were important.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

IMG_2614.jpg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No

I really don't think that specifically was the straw that broke the camels back..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad