CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If the history of the team is staying behind, NHL should do the right thing and transfer to pre 96 history to the current Jets.

The franchise is staying behind. The “history” is part of the franchise.

Well, unless you do goofy things like pretending the Baltimore Ravens aren’t actually the original Cleveland Browns.

Do the current Ottawa Senators hold the history of the Ottawa Silver Seven?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
They’re saying he doesn’t need BOG approval but there has to be some kind of greenlighting process. Or gaslighting.

I wonder if there's language letting them determine the start date in the event of other expansions. It's hard to imagine "we're doing an expansion draft for our new Atlanta franchise in 28-29... but oh wait, we have to do two this year!"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if there's language letting them determine the start date in the event of other expansions. It's hard to imagine "we're doing an expansion draft for our new Atlanta franchise in 28-29... but oh wait, we have to do two this year!"
I don’t think they’ll do more than one before knowing what happens in Arizona.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don’t think they’ll do more than one before knowing what happens in Arizona.

As long as Fertitta is serious, I think we're going to have two expansion announcements before the 5 years is up. Remember, Houston doesn't need to build an arena. They could conceivably put a team there in 25-26 or more likely 26-27. Atlanta's new building (if it happens) is looking at 27-28 or 28-29.

I could definitely see two before the Arizona timeline is up, but it depends on Fertitta. IMO, that's a big part of why this push got done now, because how can you justify expansion when the Coyotes are playing in Mullett? To me, that's a big unspoken part of this whole story (unspoken on the part of the league, I mean).

Reactions: Melrose Munch

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As long as Fertitta is serious, I think we're going to have two expansion announcements before the 5 years is up. Remember, Houston doesn't need to build an arena. They could conceivably put a team there in 25-26 or more likely 26-27. Atlanta's new building (if it happens) is looking at 27-28 or 28-29.

I could definitely see two before the Arizona timeline is up, but it depends on Fertitta. IMO, that's a big part of why this push got done now, because how can you justify expansion when the Coyotes are playing in Mullett? To me, that's a big unspoken part of this whole story (unspoken on the part of the league, I mean).
The league hates feeling like they have to rush into things and deal with unknowns. They're going to know what the lay of the land is, literally. I don't think they're gonna go past 34 until there's clarity. They may get that as soon as June 27. There's also a CBA negotiation.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The league hates feeling like they have to rush into things and deal with unknowns. They're going to know what the lay of the land is, literally. I don't think they're gonna go past 34 until there's clarity. They may get that as soon as June 27. There's also a CBA negotiation.

You mean the CBA negotiation where the players' union is going to try to get at least some part of expansion fees included in HRR? More reason to announce expansions sooner.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Winnipeg did what…. 15k+ in 30 minutes??

Great response for sure, but isn’t the thing it’s being framed as.
Winnipeg had several weeks of PR to drum up support and also a mandate from the NHL to get a specific amount. This is pretty organic and in a very rushed fashion. It's quite exceptional considering the circumstances.

Reactions: Puckrobber

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Their client list is very heavy on recent MLS brands, they’ve been behind every MLS expansion team in the past decade more or less
Utah HC it is.

Pretty much, yes. That's the deal. It might not even be 5 years. If the timeline we've been discussing here somehow manages to work out perfectly, then it could happen in 3 years. The target for the new arena was 27-28. That's probably too much to hope for, but 28-29 or 29-30 feel likely to me if he's successful
I work in architecture and the timelines these guys put down on ink based on some renderings makes me laugh out loud. I've had the timelines of small interior reno projects double in projected length because of hurdles from indecisive clients, slow approval turnaround from the city, supply shortages, etc etc. Enlarging all of those hurdles to a project the size of a miniature city you don't even own the land to build on and expecting nothing to go wrong? Best of luck.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The franchise is staying behind. The “history” is part of the franchise.

Well, unless you do goofy things like pretending the Baltimore Ravens aren’t actually the original Cleveland Browns.

Do the current Ottawa Senators hold the history of the Ottawa Silver Seven?

Going to be honest, I have never really understood why fans of the Coyotes are so wedded to getting to have the Jets history as part of their franchise

I could not care less what the Detroit Pistons did in Fort Wayne, what the Detroit Lions did in Portsmouth, or what the Red Wings did as the Victoria Cougars

I don’t think this is a remotely fair comparison

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight and eojsmada

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

An update on Fertitta:

"While Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta has been vocal about his intentions to bring an NHL franchise to Houston, he said in a statement to the Houston Business Journal that he was unable to bid for the Coyotes organization as "the NHL views Houston as expansion target, removing the ability for us to purchase and relocate an existing team.""

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I wonder if AM winning the land auction would be enough for them to open expansion negotiations with Houston

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You mean the CBA negotiation where the players' union is going to try to get at least some part of expansion fees included in HRR? More reason to announce expansions sooner.
That's not how it's gonna work.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Going to be honest, I have never really understood why fans of the coyotes are so wet to getting to have the Jets history as part of their franchise

I could not care less what the Detroit Pistons did in Fort Wayne, what the Detroit Lions did in Portsmouth, or what the Red Wings did as the Victoria Cougars

Conversely I don’t understand why fans of any team think it’s so important to “reacquire” the history of a previous franchise.

Would anyone’s fandom be diminished because the team they love and root for now doesn’t hold the stat records of the prior franchise decades earlier?

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Going to be honest, I have never really understood why fans of the Coyotes are so wedded to getting to have the Jets history as part of their franchise

We aren’t. Not once the Jets returned.

….but a comparison nevertheless.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
An update on Fertitta:

"While Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta has been vocal about his intentions to bring an NHL franchise to Houston, he said in a statement to the Houston Business Journal that he was unable to bid for the Coyotes organization as "the NHL views Houston as expansion target, removing the ability for us to purchase and relocate an existing team.""

Fertitta still looking for a bargain deal. That Mason-Dixon comment is still costing him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Conversely I don’t understand why fans of any team think it’s so important to “reacquire” the history of a previous franchise.

Would anyone’s fandom be diminished because the team they love and root for now doesn’t hold the stat records of the prior franchise decades earlier?

As a Dallas Stars fan, honestly it's kind of annoying to have the North Stars history attached to ours. I'd happily just give it away if it were up to me.

Reactions: Brodie and mouser

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Fertitta still looking for a bargain deal. That Mason-Dixon comment is still costing him.

Yep. He said the same kind of stuff in 2017/2018, when teams were half this price. Now he's trying to displace blame for the delay to the league.

I really don't know what the hold-up is, outside of him just not feeling like he's getting a "deal".

Reactions: TheLegend

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

It is a great response but is not not just deposits and not actually tickets sold at various price points.

Nice start none the less.

Jets were actual season tickets sold not deposits. They were non refundable. I know mine was a $10 000 committment for 3 years.

Reactions: TheLegend

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
I wonder if AM winning the land auction would be enough for them to open expansion negotiations with Houston

Tilman was meeting with Gary a week or so ago with Vernon Krause. The negotiations are already there.

Or, and give me some rope here, he wants an expansion draft to build a contending out of the gate team if he's going to spend the exact same amount of money.

Reactions: dj4aces

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
As a Dallas Stars fan, honestly it's kind of annoying to have the North Stars history attached to ours. I'd happily just give it away if it were up to me.

Other than maybe Mike Modano. Can’t think of anyone else who did a stretch between both.

Reactions: LT

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
An update on Fertitta:

im rusty so forgive me ... does this suggest the league thinks Houston is either a more viable market or has better ownership/arena capacity than Utah? why wouldn't they move the team to Houston? the expansion fee?

seems recent franchise winners tend to be either deep pocket owners, in high potential markets with an arena or shovels in the ground (i.e., expansion into Vegas and Seattle) or super deep pocket owners, in good enough markets with an arena or shovels in the ground (i.e., relocation back into Winnipeg.) are mr. smith's pockets in utah deep enough to pull this off? is someone else wearing pants too?

on another note, ive given 'yotes fans a rough ride over the years, but man, this is a gut punch while on the ground. feel for ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad