CXLIII - UPDATED 6/3 - Coyotes arena deal takes next step after Tempe council votes to open negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Arizona State University can break its lease deal with the Arizona Coyotes if the NHL club or its owner violates certain terms on behavior, The Athletic reports.

Reporters Sean Shapiro and Katie Strang write the school can get out of the deal if the Coyotes or owner Alex Meruelo become the subjects of scandal or ridicule or fail to act "as a good corporate citizen."

According to the document, if the Coyotes or Meruelo become the subject of adverse publicity, contempt, scandal or ridicule for violating “widely held principles of public morality, failing to conduct its business affairs with a high degree of integrity and honesty and/or failing to act as a good corporate citizen,” Arizona State can get out of its deal with the Coyotes.

This includes media coverage of Meruelo and the Coyotes business practices, according to the document, and ASU can cancel the Coyotes tenancy if coverage is proven true and has damaged or could damage ASU’s reputation.

As a tenant, all advertising for the Coyotes will be temporary at the arena. The Coyotes will have full access to the center-hung video scoreboard and the ribbon board. They will also be able to change board advertisements for NHL home games at their own cost on game days.

The Coyotes will be limited in securing some partnerships. Oak View Group has signed a group of exclusive venue sponsors, which the Coyotes will be required to work with or refrain from selling in that space.

Additionally, according to the agreement:

• Any alcohol or beer advertisements must be approved by Arizona State.
  • Arizona State maintains the right to object to any advertisement that is “not in good taste or is otherwise not in compliance” with ASU’s rules.
  • Arizona State will receive the revenue from naming rights for the arena.
  • The Coyotes will not be permitted to sell any temporary advertising that is a competitor or in the same category as whomever ASU sells naming rights to.
  • In-ice advertising will be a revenue source for Arizona State, and the Coyotes aren’t allowed to modify the look of the ice surface – including the Arizona State logo at center ice — on broadcasts to protect ASU’s permanent advertisers in the building. It is noted that this doesn’t and shouldn’t impact opposing broadcasts filming at ASU.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What the writers failed to do.....

- Failed to follow up with ASU that the "behavior clause" is a standard clause they use.
- Failed to note the Coyotes brand would have limited presence on the ice. (they assumed it wouldn't.)
- Failed to note the Coyotes have a co-marketing agreement at the MPA for the next year with OVG of which the Coyotes and OVG already share many of the same partnerships.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It's interesting because of previous reports alleging poor corporate citizenship. Rather like a drinker taking a room with a no-drinking policy. You just wonder how that will work out?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's interesting because of previous reports alleging poor corporate citizenship. Rather like a drinker taking a room with a no-drinking policy. You just wonder how that will work out?

And ASU was aware of all of it.

We'll see what happens.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is this any thing other than standard? Or are there allegations again st them?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
how well is ASU set up to start a hockey program, maybe this is why the partnership was created

ASU's NCAA D-1 program was initially funded by a rather large private donation in 2015. It's been growing ever since then. There are still club teams (ACHA) and a women's team working it's way towards D-1 status.

They don't "need" the Coyotes per se, but they have enjoyed cross promoting each other since then. They look at this deal with the Coyotes as furthering their own program's exposure on two fronts. The TV exposure (the ice cannot be digitally altered for Yotes games so their branding will be openly visible there.), and the facilities and infrastructure the Coyotes are adding at the MPA to bring it up to NHL standards. Very few other college rinks will have this.... if at all.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
why relocate if everyone's committed to the market

Fans don't seem to be considering their attendance, and the ownership doesn't considering... well we've had 143 threads on that subject now

They will..... about a mile down the road from where they will play the next 3-4 years.

Didn't realize they've broken ground or even had it approved

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Fans don't seem to be considering their attendance, and the ownership doesn't considering... well we've had 143 threads on that subject now

Didn't realize they've broken ground or even had it approved
don't believe everything u hear about Arizona going back to the Moyes era and why the Coyotes have been the bane of existence for those uninformed

fryfunk

Feb 4, 2022
What the writers failed to do.....

- Failed to follow up with ASU that the "behavior clause" is a standard clause they use.
Problem is this isn't a standard situation.

The only reason ASU had a chance in hell of working was because it was a bankable option.

In the Metoo era the idea of mixing 20 year old millionaires with coeds seems like a mountain of a potential disaster.

All it takes is one bad photo and the league has a serious problem.

It'd be 1 thing if it was like when I was back in college, but in a world where twitter posts get you kicked out of school, I'd hold my breath if the student union/whatever couldn't find a reason to shut the team down without notice.

This is the whole problem with this entire concept.

A university isn't a singular entity, and student unions etc are increasingly going through a stage of "empowerment".

The point is if the NHL is against this, you can no longer claim "there is nothing they can do".

This clause more or less gives the league a well defined legal reason to veto the agreement.

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Problem is this isn't a standard situation.

The only reason ASU had a chance in hell of working was because it was a bankable option.

In the Metoo era the idea of mixing 20 year old millionaires with coeds seems like a mountain of a potential disaster.

All it takes is one bad photo and the league has a serious problem.

It'd be 1 thing if it was like when I was back in college, but in a world where twitter posts get you kicked out of school, I'd hold my breath if the student union/whatever couldn't find a reason to shut the team down without notice.

This is the whole problem with this entire concept.

A university isn't a singular entity, and student unions etc are increasingly going through a stage of "empowerment".

The point is if the NHL is against this, you can no longer claim "there is nothing they can do".

This clause more or less gives the league a well defined legal reason to veto the agreement.

No one is saying it isn't.

The Arizona Cardinals spent 17 years playing at Sun Devil Stadium and faced the same things. The NFL lived with it. And it always wasn't a quiet marriage.

The NHL can live with this as long as the Coyotes make every attempt to run a straight ship and the Tempe proposal stays on track. The clause gives ASU to right to terminate "if it determines" any malfeasance by the Coyotes is proven.

So Katie Strang can run all the dirt articles she wants on the Coyotes, but ASU will determine whether or not it hurts them.

fryfunk

Feb 4, 2022
No one is saying it isn't.

The Arizona Cardinals spent 17 years playing at Sun Devil Stadium and faced the same things. The NFL lived with it. And it always wasn't a quiet marriage.

Did you miss the part where I said

"It'd be 1 thing if it was like when I was back in college, but in a world where twitter posts get you kicked out of school, I'd hold my breath if the student union/whatever couldn't find a reason to shut the team down without notice."

The NHL can live with this as long as the Coyotes make every attempt to run a straight ship and the Tempe proposal stays on track. The clause gives ASU to right to terminate "if it determines" any malfeasance by the Coyotes is proven.
Like I said the university faces the issue of student unions etc being over "empowered".

So Katie Strang can run all the dirt articles she wants on the Coyotes, but ASU will determine whether or not it hurts them.
You have not been following the goings ons in universities if you think the university administration can't be pressured. It isn't the good old days where anything can be swept under a rug for a bit of money.

EDIT: All it takes is 1 RFA wanting out of Arizona to make the difference.

Both the schools and players have unions.

Neither the players Union nor the student union have any interest in protecting the arena deal.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Did you miss the part where I said

"It'd be 1 thing if it was like when I was back in college, but in a world where twitter posts get you kicked out of school, I'd hold my breath if the student union/whatever couldn't find a reason to shut the team down without notice."

Like I said the university faces the issue of student unions etc being over "empowered".

You have not been following the goings ons in universities if you think the university administration can't be pressured. It isn't the good old days where anything can be swept under a rug for a bit of money.

EDIT: All it takes is 1 RFA wanting out of Arizona to make the difference.

Both the schools and players have unions.

Neither the players Union nor the student union have any interest in protecting the arena deal.

The NHLPA has no authority to stop the team from playing at ASU and neither does the student union board there.

There's also a thing called breach of contract. ASU can't just terminate it just cause a player leaves, what the students do/say or what some writer that sole intention to spin everything to smear and trash the team. The yotes have to cause a legit problem that causes enough of a issue that is provable to where the college terminates it. And i mean legit not some made up crud by some writer or the student board to get the school to terminate it.

if ASU tries to terminate and kick the yotes out based on a false claim the yotes can take the school to court for breach of contract.

Not even the NHL has the authority to block that agreement.

fryfunk

Feb 4, 2022
The NHLPA has no authority to stop the team from playing at ASU and neither does the student union board there.

There's also a thing called breach of contract. ASU can't just terminate it just cause a player leaves, what the students do/say or what some writer that sole intention to spin everything to smear and trash the team. The yotes have to cause a legit problem that causes enough of a issue that is provable to where the college terminates it. And i mean legit not some made up crud by some writer or the student board to get the school to terminate it.

if ASU tries to terminate and kick the yotes out based on a false claim the yotes can take the school to court for breach of contract.

Not even the NHL has the authority to block that agreement.
So what do you think happens if a RFA throws a kegger for freshman coeds?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's a huge eye roll right there. Why didn't Morgan report it then? Very relevant given Meruelo's history. Dude is so desperate for the Coyotes to stay alive.

Why didn’t Morgan report “What” then?

A common clause in ASU contracts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad