CWHL Expanding to China

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
http://www.tsn.ca/cwhl-expands-to-china-with-kunlun-red-star-1.771152

The Canadian Women's Hockey League is adding a team in Shenzhen, China, and will be known as the Kunlun Red Star (presumably affiliated or co-owned with the KHL Kunlun Red Star).

This huge for women's hockey. They need international growth badly, and China is a great market for them; respectively speaking, women's hockey in China is lightyears ahead of men's hockey in China, imo.

However, with that said, Kunlun will join the Boston Blades, Brampton Thunder, Calgary Inferno, Montreal Canadiennes, and Toronto Furies...

That's over 10,500km to their closest neighbour in Calgary... and over 12,700km to Boston.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
How on earth is the scheduling going to work for this?

Seems like a complete logistical nightmare

KRS will do two weeks in North America for their road trips, most likely playing four games per trip.
The other CWHL teams will do a week in China playing three games for their road trip. KRS will be helping subsidize the travel costs.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It seems like Kelli Stack and Noora Räty will join the team. Huge additions for them.

This huge for women's hockey. They need international growth badly, and China is a great market for them; respectively speaking, women's hockey in China is lightyears ahead of men's hockey in China, imo.

Absolutely. The women's team qualified for the 1998, 2002 and 2010 Olympics, too.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
It seems like Kelli Stack and Noora Räty will join the team. Huge additions for them.

It'll be important for them to add some more stars but you really can't go wrong with Kelli Stack and the 2nd best goalie in women's hockey. It'll at least keep them from being the worst team in the CWHL. Raty and Stack will literally win games single handily especially with a lot of Canadian stars being busy with centralization right now.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
It's only a 30-game season, though. Each of the six teams will play each other six times; the North American teams will each go to China once to play all three of their road games, so for them the travel won't be too terrible. The Chinese team will have a bear of a schedule no matter how you slice it, even with the same all-three-games-at-once format.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Nonsense. The Chinese team will play in the league until 2022 at minimum, that is for certain. What happens after the Olympics will be seen.

What if a women's league pops up in Europe?

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
My late two cents. This seems to all be the brainchild of this Canadian Digit lady but I don't think its that great of a decision.

China should have put a team in the Russian womens league. Its much closer for one thing. Also because theres no real age limit theres a bunch of younger girls in the Russian league and two of the teams are mainly development teams with younger girls. This would provide much more realistic competition for the Chinese girls and could have an all China team without a bunch of ringers.

In the CWHL its mostly girls who are 22+ who have played college. How many Chinese ladies could legitimately earn a roster spot in this league, probably only a few. So what do they do, bring in various ringers that they are paying a wad of cash to as "ambassadors" of the game. And now theres two Chinese teams?

Even here in the West womens hockey isn't commercially viable. Why would Chinese care about some Western female hockey players that even people here really don't care about. Another problem is resentment by players who aren't earning a salary meanwhile these ringers are getting paid good money by China.

I'm glad the Russian girls turned this down. The only one who took a deal is Mariya Sorokina who I find to be overrated. I actually like Merkusheva who was signed to replace her much better.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
1. Digit Murphy is an American.
2. This was part of the plan all along with the owners of Kunlun and the CIHA. Murphy is just the coach overseeing it all.
3. It's not "much closer." The closest team in the Russian league would be a 12.5-hour flight. Then 13 and 13.5 but the other either require a longer flight or a longer flight and a long drive. For comparison's sake, Calgary is about 15 hours and Toronto is a little over 15. when you factor in those other teams that are super far north in Russia, the distance argument doesn't hold up.
4. Chinese women's hockey, while not as good as it used to be or as good as the Canada/Russia, is not absolutely terrible. You're underestimating a program that's played in the Olympics in the last decade.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
1. Ok, but shes been involved in the CWHL and has loyalties there.

2. In my opinion Murphy is the driving force behind this and without her China would be fine with putting a team in the Russian womens league just as they have with MHL and VHL.

3. From a search I did Beijing to Moscow is 7 hours and 43 minutes.

4. Though not terrible I don't think theres much of any Chinese women who would be able to legitimately earn a roster spot in the CWHL. If there was they wouldn't need to sign several ringers. I guess we will see when play starts but I think most will be pretty overmatched.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Everyone knows the Chinese players on their own will be completely over matched every game without the import players this coming season. An important factor though to consider is that Kunlun/Vanke only get 6 imports each. This means somewhere in the line-up the Chinese National Team players will get their opportunities unless the head coach insists the imports play 50 minutes a game. I don't see that happening especially since they'll be playing three games in a row. Another factor is they are bringing in Canadian-Chinese players I assume to naturalize for 2020.

What China really needs though is another Hong Guo, their stalwart goalie from the beginning of modern women's hockey. This is where bringing in Noora Raty becomes important. She's one of the best goalies of all-time in women's hockey and is a goalie coach to boot. Get her to work with the goalies and they'll see important improvements in net.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I'm just going off of what Google says but the closest it is showing me is 12 hours and that's Shenzhen to Krasnoyarsk. And it's showing 11:30 right now flying out of Hong Kong International with a layover in Moscow. These women's teams aren't chartering flights so commercial flights with layovers are a reality that must b accounted for.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
So Kunlun has now started their season with two games against Markham. They lost their debut 1-2 and they recorded a loss today as well, this time 0-3. No statistics about shots for the first game but they actually outshot their opponents 45-38 today.

The Vanke Rays will not enter their first game until next weekend.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Kunlun's imports are going to run the league if they stop running into goalies who are standing on top of their heads. Watched the Kunlun/Markham game last night and Kunlun owned that game. It's obvious there's a talent difference as Kunlun grabbed some players that could be in the Olympics but aren't and Markham pretty much only has two players who could make the Olympics in Rattray/Howe. Vanke is full of young players so I don't expect them to be on the same level as Kunlun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad