Player Discussion Cutter Gauthier

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I saw this tidbit on Cutter's prospect page.

See, this is what can happen if a prospect is allowed to overripen.

Last year, Cutter and Nesterenko were 1-2 in team scoring. That gives us a baseline of talent production we can connect with b/c Nesterenko is with us this season.

BC Last year
Cutter: 16g + 21a = 37 pts and +2 rating​
Nesterenko: 13g + 21a = 34 pts and +6 rating​

BC This year
Cutter: 38g + 27a = 65 pts and +23 rating​

BC had more talent this year due to the freshman line, but Cutter wasn't with the freshmen trio of Leonard-Smith-Perreault. That's a huge jump in production in goal scoring and +/- rating.

Did Cutter and Nester play on the same line? I just wonder if maybe there is some chemistry there that can help to elevate Nesters game a bit.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think some of us are going to hate any line terry is on, unless he shows up to camp with a better mindset

Killorn carlsson _____
Vatrano mctavish terry
Gauthier zegras strome?

Terry for necas(resigned) is the only solution
That's true, I just don't like our forward with the highest potential spending so much of his early development time playing with a guy who is constantly killing offensive plays with turnovers, many of which are unforced. Leo needs puck possession time from the team in the offensive zone to work on his own inexperience. He's spending far too much time chasing the puck in the neutral and defensive zones because Terry is coughing the puck away and they have near zero chemistry.

It feels like Cronin has spent the better part of 2024 hoping that Leo and Troy will just naturally start to build chemistry with each other and it simply hasn't happened. Not even marginal improvements. They just don't work well together.
I get Leo is a rookie and has had his speed bumps but in the games where Leo has looked like a 1C, Terry has not been good.

I get the players aren’t going where they need to be , which is why I like to see Gauthier up there who will get in position to snipe but can also play a physical game and win puck battles that are dumped.

I do put some of the fault , well more than some on the system and coaching. Have so much work to do this summer if we really are going to try and be competitive again.
I like the idea of a good defensive/shooting winger on Zegras' line but it basically comes down to who has the most potential for greatness and whose development do you have to optimize? To me, Leo has the higher upside and shouldn't keep getting bogged down by a puck possession liability.

Ideally, Terry will spend the summer rethinking his game approach because he tries too hard to be McDavid lite and he simply doesn't have the hands and/or game sense to play the way he clearly wants to. We've seen he can play the right way and make good passes and pick good spots to shoot. But his insistence on playing dangle god-heropuck kills a lot of offense. So hopefully we get a new Terry next year so he doesn't feel like a line killer.

It's actually a bit crazy to me that after countless turnovers coming from his style of play he still tries the same shit over and over and doesn't seem to make adjustments in-season, but here we are.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I think some of us are going to hate any line terry is on, unless he shows up to camp with a better mindset

Terry needs the summer to get out of his own head. I think he still feels he has to carry any line he is on and is doing too much. The proverbial "holding the stick too tight". Its almost like he feels like he still needs to earn it, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but can lead to overdoing it.

The team has changed pretty drastically over the past year. Hes gotta learn to trust the guys hes playing with and play lose.

If he can do that, I think we see a Terry resurgence.

Reactions: DavidBL and JAHV

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like the idea of a good defensive/shooting winger on Zegras' line but it basically comes down to who has the most potential for greatness and whose development do you have to optimize? To me, Leo has the higher upside and shouldn't keep getting bogged down by a puck possession liability.

Ideally, Terry will spend the summer rethinking his game approach because he tries too hard to be McDavid lite and he simply doesn't have the hands and/or game sense to play the way he clearly wants to. We've seen he can play the right way and make good passes and pick good spots to shoot. But his insistence on playing dangle god-heropuck kills a lot of offense. So hopefully we get a new Terry next year so he doesn't feel like a line killer.

The season he was with Getzlaf, was his best season, imo. He scored a lot of goals. Goals for me hold more weight than assists. Issue is he is not relying on his line-mates now, and the hero puck thing doesn't work for him. Leo also needs to get away from that but he has had some success getting past the D and creating chances. When he gets stronger don't mind if he does it if there are no other options available. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Leo is the Ducks future 1C, and I think Cutter was acquired to support him, it's also making me wonder now that Verbeek wants to get a RW for also that reason. Terry is a Top 6 player don't get me wrong but he doesn't gel with a guy who also wants to carry the puck and dangle. But Terry has shown when he was with Getz he can be the goal scorer on a line and dangle less. We need that Terry. This year it's been too inconsistent for him. Still had a good production year but it was very up and down for him.

I want to see next season...

Cutter - Leo - Top 6 UFA/RFA
Zegras - McTavish - Terry
Killorn - Strome - Vatrano

Can always flip guys like Cutter, Z, Killorn, and Terry to find the best chemistry.

Strome should not be in the Top 6 anymore unless there is an injury, which I'm sure we will see those, lol.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That's true, I just don't like our forward with the highest potential spending so much of his early development time playing with a guy who is constantly killing offensive plays with turnovers, many of which are unforced. Leo needs puck possession time from the team in the offensive zone to work on his own inexperience. He's spending far too much time chasing the puck in the neutral and defensive zones because Terry is coughing the puck away and they have near zero chemistry.

It feels like Cronin has spent the better part of 2024 hoping that Leo and Troy will just naturally start to build chemistry with each other and it simply hasn't happened. Not even marginal improvements. They just don't work well together.

It's actually a bit crazy to me that after countless turnovers coming from his style of play he still tries the same shit over and over and doesn't seem to make adjustments in-season, but here we are.

Kinda funny how terry was supposed to be the guy we didn’t worry about… a year later and he’s starting to look like the piece that doesn’t exactly fit.

Hopefully he can come back after offseason and figure out whatever was the issue, and play with carlsson

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The season he was with Getzlaf, was his best season, imo. He scored a lot of goals. Goals for me hold more weight than assists. Issue is he is not relying on his line-mates now, and the hero puck thing doesn't work for him. Leo also needs to get away from that but he has had some success getting past the D and creating chances. When he gets stronger don't mind if he does it if there are no other options available. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Leo is the Ducks future 1C, and I think Cutter was acquired to support him, it's also making me wonder now that Verbeek wants to get a RW for also that reason. Terry is a Top 6 player don't get me wrong but he doesn't gel with a guy who also wants to carry the puck and dangle. But Terry has shown when he was with Getz he can be the goal scorer on a line and dangle less. We need that Terry. This year it's been too inconsistent for him. Still had a good production year but it was very up and down for him.

Can always flip guys like Cutter, Z, Killorn, and Terry to find the best chemistry.

Strome should not be in the Top 6 anymore unless there is an injury, which I'm sure we will see those, lol.
I'd be okay with trying this. But just reading through these lines it brings me back to something you said earlier, all this emphasis on developing Zegras' defensive game coming from the coaching staff, why isn't Cronin bringing the hammer on Terry and insisting he plays a more team oriented/less selfish game? Is the rationale that Terry is too old to change?

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a rag on Terry thread so I'll shift gears and say, the ELC news convinced me to splurge on tickets in the lower bowl for me, my dad, and my 7 year old nephew who wanted to go to one more hockey game before end of the regular season. But getting tickets in the lower bowl is purely to get a closer look during Cutter's debut and Silfy's final NHL game. Probably the most hyped I've been for a hockey game all year. Added bonus that I really don't want Vegas to draw against the Oilers in round 1 so I'll be fully rooting for the Ducks whereas I usually just root for no injuries and cool looking goals.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd be okay with trying this. But just reading through these lines it brings me back to something you said earlier, all this emphasis on developing Zegras' defensive game coming from the coaching staff, why isn't Cronin bringing the hammer on Terry and insisting he plays a more team oriented/less selfish game? Is the rationale that Terry is too old to change?

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a rag on Terry thread so I'll shift gears and say, the ELC news convinced me to splurge on tickets in the lower bowl for me, my dad, and my 7 year old nephew who wanted to go to one more hockey game before end of the regular season. But getting tickets in the lower bowl is purely to get a closer look during Cutter's debut and Silfy's final NHL game. Probably the most hyped I've been for a hockey game all year. Added bonus that I really don't want Vegas to draw against the Oilers in round 1 so I'll be fully rooting for the Ducks whereas I usually just root for no injuries and cool looking goals.

I'm really looking forward to Thursday's game, I just want them to score a few goals, and just give us some hope for the future. If Cutter is going to be with Leo, all eyes are gonna be on that line. This is our future right there and ending the final game with a win and them on the score-sheet will really go a long way for me, even if it's only one game.

I also hope Cutter plays in the WC with Z, that would be something to really watch heading into next season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm really looking forward to Thursday's game, I just want them to score a few goals, and just give us some hope for the future. If Cutter is going to be with Leo, all eyes are gonna be on that line. This is our future right there and ending the final game with a win and them on the score-sheet will really go a long way for me, even if it's only one game.

I also hope Cutter plays in the WC with Z, that would be something to really watch heading into next season.
That would be incredible.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Cutter played last WC and was very good, produced 7 goals in 10 games. Hopefully he gets the nod again, I don't see why not. Still plenty of spots to fill on that roster.

I think he’s a lock tbh for wc

He had 9 points in 10 games…. It would be nice if him and zegras get time together

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I don't want Terry with Z or Leo. Too much freelancing ending in a turnover. I want the puck on Z and Leo's stick.
Terry had his breakout and his most success when he played alongside Getzlaf. I think that as Carlsson gains confidence and experience, he can be that Getzlaf-like presence in the middle, drawing defenders to him and then dishing to Terry who will have space to make a shot.

I don't think Terry works with Zegras, since Zegras needs to have the puck on his stick to be effective. Maybe McTavish could work if McTavish is able to create that space by driving to the net, but I feel like that haven't worked well together in the past. And Cronin has been reluctant to put them together this season.

We'll see how things shake out next camp, but I'm hopeful there are some combinations that will work.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Yeah, I'd like Terry with vets on his line. For one thing, the way he plays, he needs to run his own line, and for another he's just too disruptive a presence to learn much while playing with.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

I agree with this, cutter on a line with Leo always made the most sense to me. I also feel like we will be signing a top 6 bonafied right handed winger who will be a true top line player on our team. I’m very excited about this off-season the most I have been in many years

Reactions: Kalv

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Just got home from Ducks practice. Gauthier looked OK. A little tentative, as to be expected from one's first NHL experience. As others have mentioned, he skated with Leo and Killer. After the organized portion of practice ended, he stood at the right faceoff dot taking direct passes from Zegras and shooting, and he buried them all. Never missed.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Just got home from Ducks practice. Gauthier looked OK. A little tentative, as to be expected from one's first NHL experience. As others have mentioned, he skated with Leo and Killer. After the organized portion of practice ended, he stood at the right faceoff dot taking direct passes from Zegras and shooting, and he buried them all. Never missed.
Hmmm. I wonder if they will be on the same line for the game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad