Recalled/Assigned: Curtis Lazar recalled (12/27/2019)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Umm, yay?

Nothing says helping score goals by recalling a guy with.... ummm.... zero goals in his last full season.

These guys are as creative as bricks.

You’re not excited by the guy who can’t even match Sobotka offensively as his replacement? Why not? :sarcasm:

This also seems to indicate they want Tage down for an extended length of time.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
You’re not excited by the guy who can’t even match Sobotka offensively as his replacement? Why not? :sarcasm:

Or that Tage still hasn't improved on the things that got him sent down in the first place. Which I hope is not the case.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I know MJ is day-to-day so this might just be a practice body and a guy who has been around enough to know it, so it won't really bother him as much, but what REALLY would be the harm in calling up somone like Dea to see if he could provide a little offensive spark.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Or that Tage still hasn't improved on the things that got him sent down in the first place. Which I hope is not the case.

In a recent interview with the Amerks coach, he said nice things about Tage but qualified almost every one of them. Always “improving” and never really saying he’s doing well, period, at any of the elements of his game being asked about.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Ralph was asked about why Lazar was the call up and he said that Lazar was the best fit to fill Sobotka's role in the team.

And he danced around the follow up about Tage.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
In a recent interview with the Amerks coach, he said nice things about Tage but qualified almost every one of them. Always “improving” and never really saying he’s doing well, period, at any of the elements of his game being asked about.
You do understand it’s perfectly normal for a player needing to develop his game to be ..... well ..... developing his game.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Lazar has put up points since he was sent down. Over 2 seasons he has 24G, 25A in his last 68 games including 4G, 5A in 11 games with the Amerks. I'd be surprised if the scoring translates to the NHL but grit is in short supply in Buffalo.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
As a Sobotka replacement, fine. Not the type of forward help the team needs.

The problem isn't that Lazar was the call up, the problem is the lack of FW depth in the organization. Beyond injuries, the Sabres are down a couple NHL quality FWs. They are rumored to be shopping for a bottm-six and top-six guy, but I would argue they actually need two top-six guys to be able to slide Olofsson down. They don't have the trade assets to give up for that though, without unreasonably depleting futures.

Not sure if its really a hot take, I thought Lazar played well enough to earn a roster spot over Sobotka in preseason.

Yeah I'm not unhappy at all with Lazar replacing Sobotka. Should be at least a break even scenario. Just too bad Sobotka will be returning in six weeks, so Botterill can't quite make the most out of the extra cap space while he's on LTIR.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Lazar is fine as a 13th forward type.

I prefer having him play that role on the Sabres instead of a guy like Thompson who is better off developing properly in the minors

It's incredible (but not all that surprising) to see the general attitude switch towards TT on this forums over the past six months or so. Hope it all works out for him & he comes back to the Sabres a different player - ready to contribute.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lazar is fine as a 13th forward type.

I prefer having him play that role on the Sabres instead of a guy like Thompson who is better off developing properly in the minors

It's incredible (but not all that surprising) to see the general attitude switch towards TT on this forums over the past six months or so. Hope it all works out for him & he comes back to the Sabres a different player - ready to contribute.

Thompson is putting in the work and getting results. Why wouldn’t there be an improvement in outlook on his future? What we wanted last year was for him to be a signed so that he could put in the work on his game it was clearly missing. Now that he’s done that and he’s done what is asked on the farm and during the off-season, it at least is a small glimmer of hope.

One possible upside to having Curtis play in the top nine would be shifting Casey’s line to more of the cycle unit. Lazar can play fetch as F1 and if they take a page out of the old LOG book, great.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Lazar-us! Back from the dead, let's go boys!

Dude looked good in preseason, looks good in the NHL, and I think we can count on his grit more than we can Thompson's or Dea's scoring. We'll see, but I feel like checking out Lazar first makes some sense.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If nothing else we'll now have a grand total of 2 forwards that make defenders look over their shoulder before going back for a puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad