Cup Window

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
I’m not sure if it’s opened yet, but it at least deserves a little bit of talk, with how open the NHL is nowadays(ex Florida) is our window officially open? And if so, how long is it open? Interested to hear others opinions and if it isn’t open, what more does this team need?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I’m not sure if it’s opened yet, but it at least deserves a little bit of talk, with how open the NHL is nowadays(ex Florida) is our window officially open? And if so, how long is it open? Interested to hear others opinions and if it isn’t open, what more does this team need?
A 2nd goalie that can be trusted for 20-30 games and a legit 2nd pairing.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I would say that Detroit's window would technically open next year, when you get one more round of "upgrades" to the roster either with upcoming prospects, or a trade to upgrade areas of need. A 2nd goalie will be the pressing need over the summer. I think most other roster spots can be filled internally, but I do think that they will need to consider how to upgrade on Maata/Holl. I think Edvinsson replaces Ghostisbhere next year, but they will need to upgrade that 6/7 d-man.

I would say that the window probably stays open for at least through Seider's upcoming contract length. Barring injuries.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I'm gonna be a total optimist and say that the upgrades missing are exactly the pieces that are in the system already.

Proper 2nd line center: Kasper/Danielsson

2 legit top-4D: Edvinsson, ASP, Wallinder

Cat-Larkin-X
Raymond-Kasper/Danielsson-X

Is a legit top-6 imo, but not elite.

X-Seider
Edvinsson-ASP

Will probably be an elite top-4 given how things are tracking right now.

I think with that top-6 and top-4 we have a window. Goalies are voodoo but this is a pretty good cup winodw with an elite goalie in Cossa.

Only worry i have is how much longer Larkin will be in his prime, and how long it will take for Edvinssona and ASP to really develop. To force a window a trade for a legit top-4 might be needed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This window could be open for at least 8 years, if Yzerman can make miracles with the cap, and our farm system can keep producing cheap talent for the next decade.

After 8 years Larkin is this team's "35-year old Kane" as a Captain.

After 8 years, Seider is 30, Edvinsson is 29, Pellikka is 27. Danielson is 27, Kasper is 27, Lombardi is 28. That kid core will be in their prime.

Then we could extend it even further. Who knows. If we are the Hockeytown again and continuous Contender on that time, players will want to join. They will join taking discounts, thanks to Yzerman.

That window could last for next 15 years, especially if the NHL economy can keep the cap growing. Only things like Global pandemia or World War III could change the projections.

And it did open pretty much now.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Cracked open this year( Making the playoffs).

I expect the next 5 we're legit playoff contenders.

Idk if they'll ever have the top guys to be considered Cup favorites like I've been use to seeing in my life. They aren't building a roster like Vegas/Toronto. I'd have to see a move for some legit type super-star. Across the league things are so tight and players/teams are all really good. Just looking into next year, I expect all the same teams in the playoffs now in the hunt next year, along with Penguins/Senators/Devil. Those last three can get SIGINFICANTLY better with just a signing/move.

Last edited:

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I'd say their Cup window is open now. Once playoffs start its a new season. Took a while to get going ( terrible scheduling, Sweden trip) plus building chemistry and now having Kane. The blues came back after being last in like January, Montreal went on a Cinderella run. A newly built Vegas team won.

We aren't a team with a bunch of scrubs anymore, could for sure use some pieces but I'll still say dark horse. Kane himself who has won cups said himself he feels this team can take anyone in a 7 game series..

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Depends. Cup window as in "there's a possibility of a miracle run"? Might be open as early as this year.

Cup window was in "they could legitimately be considered a cup contender"? Still at least ~2-ish years away imo. Definitely need atleast one more good top 4D.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Red Wings current players as draft picks.

1st round picks
----------------
1st overall, RW Patrick Kane
4th overall, RW Lucas Raymond
6th overall, RD Moritz Seider
6th overall, LD Simon Edvinsson
9th overall, C/LW Michael Rasmussen
15th overall, C Dylan Larkin
21st overall, LW Robby Fabbri
22nd overall, LD Olli Määttä
26th overall, W David Perron
30th overall, F Joe Veleno
31st overall, LW Klim Kostin
----------------------------
32nd overall, C/RW Christian Fischer (2nd rounder in a 30-team draft)

2nd round picks
-----------------
33rd overall, W Jonatan Berggren
35th overall, C J.T. Compher
39th overall, LW Alex DeBrincat
45th overall, RD Jeff Petry
46th overall, RW Daniel Sprong
54th overall, RD Justin Holl

When the lottery does not give you 1st overalls... just sign them as UFA.

• Haha
Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
The window has been opened, i look at the east and it's completely wide open at the moment. No team stands out to me and says the cup runs thru them. So detroit has a legit shot to make the finals and if you can get there who knows kind of deal.

Reactions: RRhoads

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If you are in the playoffs, you are a cup contender. Florida last year, St Louis, Vegas and Montreal had cup runs recently that came out of nowhere.

Get in and get hot, you can make a run. I could see the Wings going down in the first round, go all the way to the final and anything in between.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
We urgently need a 2nd line center that is as good as Larkin. We all probably forgot but the playoffs are a completely different animal as compared to the regular season.

However, the rest is somewhat ready as we have a good pipiline of Ds and Gs coming from the farm system.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They aren't building a roster like Vegas/Toronto. I'd have to see a move for some legit type super-star.
I think Vegas and Toronto are more different than similar for roster construction. I'd argue that Detroit is building a style of roster (scoring depth, long term plans for heavy investment in team defense and goaltending) very similar to Vegas.

But hey, if Yzerman is able to swing a deal for an uber-scorer, I won't say no.

Reactions: DamonDRW

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think Vegas and Toronto are more different than similar for roster construction. I'd argue that Detroit is building a style of roster (scoring depth, long term plans for heavy investment in team defense and goaltending) very similar to Vegas.

But hey, if Yzerman is able to swing a deal for an uber-scorer, I won't say no.

A stronger 2nd pair would go a long, long way to improving Detroit’s offense just by virtue of reducing the amount of time they play in their own zone.

Hanifin-Savard looks a lot better than Maatta-Ghost.

If we can dump Maatta, Holl and Ghost, trade for Savard and Hanifin and get a cheap 7th D like Merrill I’d be very happy.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm gonna be a total optimist and say that the upgrades missing are exactly the pieces that are in the system already.

Proper 2nd line center: Kasper/Danielsson

2 legit top-4D: Edvinsson, ASP, Wallinder

Cat-Larkin-X
Raymond-Kasper/Danielsson-X

Is a legit top-6 imo, but not elite.

X-Seider
Edvinsson-ASP

Will probably be an elite top-4 given how things are tracking right now.

I think with that top-6 and top-4 we have a window. Goalies are voodoo but this is a pretty good cup winodw with an elite goalie in Cossa.

Only worry i have is how much longer Larkin will be in his prime, and how long it will take for Edvinssona and ASP to really develop. To force a window a trade for a legit top-4 might be needed.
If we have a window by that logic, it certainly won't be open for a couple of years given that half of those guys are outside of the NHL and nowhere close to be every day NHL players. Apologies but I find this thinking dangerous.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
I would say that Detroit's window would technically open next year, when you get one more round of "upgrades" to the roster either with upcoming prospects, or a trade to upgrade areas of need. A 2nd goalie will be the pressing need over the summer. I think most other roster spots can be filled internally, but I do think that they will need to consider how to upgrade on Maata/Holl. I think Edvinsson replaces Ghostisbhere next year, but they will need to upgrade that 6/7 d-man.

I would say that the window probably stays open for at least through Seider's upcoming contract length. Barring injuries.
You don’t upgrade the 6th/7th D, you upgrade the middle pairing (Edvinsson and XXX) and bump Chiarot and Petry down to the third pairing. Maatta to 7th D. Now you’re cooking.

Reactions: norrisnick

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think to be a year-in, year-out top contender like Colorado, prime Tampa, prime Chicago, etc. , we need the pieces I mentioned above - another top line winger, a top pairing D, and another top 4 defenseman.

But this year? Anything can happen. The east is actually kind of bad...none of the Metro teams are very good, Boston is definitely beatable, and Florida/Toronto are too. This current Wings team probably can't hang...but this is why I think this deadline is so importnt for Yzerman. IF he can add some big piece(s) like Hanifin and/or Buchnevich? Suddenly, the cup window could be literally this year. Kane is also playing like prime Kane right now...which is a huge plus we should take advantage of.

Trade for Buchnevich and Hanifin, ship out Maatta and Ghost, and go into the playoffs with:

DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Raymond-Compher-Buchnevich
Rasmussen-Copp-Perron
Sprong-Fischer-Veleno
Fabbri

Walman-Seider
Hanifin-Petry
Edvinsson-Chiarot
Holl

That roster, if Lyon can stay hot, could conceivably win the cup. I don't think this possibility should be discounted.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Seeing as how we've witnessed positive post-draft development from essentially all of our high picks (and even later picks, which statistically is a bonus), the window opens officially when they make the playoffs, hoping that it's 2024 when it happens of course.

Considering that, we have many of our higher picks sitting outside of the NHL like:

Edvinsson
Danielson
Sandin-Pellikka
Kasper
Cossa

Additionally others showing promise:

Augustine
Mazur
Al. Johansson
Wallinder
Buchelnikov

...There's going to be a lot to work with when filling out our contending roster to stay competing.

Now with that being said, some of these guys will eventually move on, or be part of inevitable trades that will be done to improve said contending roster.

I think with how so many of our drafted kids are down in Grand Rapids and winning with that squad right now is massive for development. Like SeBUSTian Cossa just outdueled Askarov and the red-hot Admirals. I think it's pretty motivating for a young pro athlete to experience winning success with other young guys also trying to crack the Red Wings (a Calder Cup would be the perfect storm).

This season has been up and down but we are seeing good things in Detroit finally. It's gonna continue to be that way, but we'll be going in the right direction this time. The extra patience is beginning to pay off, something that a lot of other franchises simply didn't have and squandered or rushed a lot of opportunities. The window will last a long time I think, with the way Yzerman and co. have actually approached this whole thing.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
In about 2-3 years our window should open up. We could very well not make the playoffs next year. Don't believe me? Look at NJ. Last year they had a great year with minimal adversity. But this year they got tore up on that front with a lot of injuries to important players. Now they are on the outside looking in.

The team has been pretty fortunate for the first time in a long time on man games lost this year. For about a decade prior they were pretty much always in the top 5-6 teams. I get that the team has most of us excited for the first time in a long time. But in reality the team is on the cusp stage. When we have made the playoffs like say 3 times in 4 year's and have made at least some progress in the playoffs is when our window will open. If we have decent luck with our drafted players development we should have around a 6-8 year window, potentially longer but that would require finding key players as some of our good pieces age regress.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Cracked open this year( Making the playoffs).

I expect the next 5 we're legit playoff contenders.

Idk if they'll ever have the top guys to be considered Cup favorites like I've been use to seeing in my life. They aren't building a roster like Vegas/Toronto. I'd have to see a move for some legit type super-star. Across the league things are so tight and players/teams are all really good. Just looking into next year, I expect all the same teams in the playoffs now in the hunt next year, along with Penguins/Senators/Devil. Those last three can get SIGINFICANTLY better with just a signing/move.

Pittsburgh is done. They will not be significantly better with any signing. Ottawa is still considerably far out also. Too much hype because they had Tkachuk and Giroux

Reactions: Henkka

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
You don’t upgrade the 6th/7th D, you upgrade the middle pairing (Edvinsson and XXX) and bump Chiarot and Petry down to the third pairing. Maatta to 7th D. Now you’re cooking.
Sorry...my thoughts were a bit wonky...I meant to say that you make the upgrade from the 6/7 dman by trading them away to allow Edvinsson (or the upgrade) to make the D better and push people down.

Reactions: Cake Eater

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4