CSKA maybe forged Zherdev army papers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?i=sl&stream=sl_news&id=9

"Were you a military at the moment when you were leaving?
-No.

-Did you take the oath?
-No.

-Did you hold a gun? Have you spent time in any garrison?
-No.

-So why CSKA management say that you are serving in the Army now?
-I do not know.

-Have you seen documents, which proves that you are drafted to the Russian Army?
-No comment.

Now Tyzhnykh joins the conversation...

-Dmitry, don't you remember the story with Larionov, when someone else signed documents for him?
-So you say that CSKA has not changed since?
-Well, there are some good changes, of course....
"

Things should be getting interesting soon. NHL rep was on Columbus radio yesterday that if this incident isn't solved in 72 hours, it'll probably go on for quite a while. The bolded part, I guess, really isn't surprising that the Russians used this tactic years ago on someone else, but that they are still (possibly) doing it today.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Sir Ozzie X said:
http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?i=sl&stream=sl_news&id=9

"Were you a military at the moment when you were leaving?
-No.

-Did you take the oath?
-No.

-Did you hold a gun? Have you spent time in any garrison?
-No.

-So why CSKA management say that you are serving in the Army now?
-I do not know.

-Have you seen documents, which proves that you are drafted to the Russian Army?
-No comment.

Now Tyzhnykh joins the conversation...

-Dmitry, don't you remember the story with Larionov, when someone else signed documents for him?
-So you say that CSKA has not changed since?
-Well, there are some good changes, of course....
"

Things should be getting interesting soon. NHL rep was on Columbus radio yesterday that if this incident isn't solved in 72 hours, it'll probably go on for quite a while. The bolded part, I guess, really isn't surprising that the Russians used this tactic years ago on someone else, but that they are still (possibly) doing it today.

From the same source:

"RTR-Sport reports that according to Itar-TASS information IIHF and RHF (Russian hockey federation) expect Nikolai Zherdev back to the line-up of CSKA soon. Zherdev is also expected to play for team Russia in the upcoming U-20 World Championship in Finland. This is the result of long telephone conversations conducted between president RHF Alexander Steblin, IIHF president Rene Fasel, vice-president of NHL William Daly, representative of Columbus Blie Jackets and Zherdev's agent."

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Few days ago I saw on TV a copy of his army papers and I don't think it was a fake because every male in Russia has such papers, I haven't served (because of health issue) but I have my army papers. I think it is obvious that he wasn't serving as a soldier and I don't think that any officials insist that he was serving with a gun in garrison, athlets don't have to but they still military people! They can't lose 2 years in the army by serving with a gun in garrison, I think it is obvious. But nobody can just cancel their military obligation so mostly they have to "serving" by competing in sports and bringing medals to army clubs e.g. (I think you have heard about military games - Olympic games for militaries)

Zherdev was playing for the army club and it was his "serving" as for many other athlets. But seems that every sport organization settles your military obligation by different ways (because there are no clear rules for the sportsmens), in some clubs it's easier in another ones seems more difficult (CSKA).

Thewselius

Jul 24, 2003
Did Kovalchuk face such military obligations or a similar situation that Zherdev is facing? I know that there is are 2 years of duty that you must serve but is there a lottery for the military draft in Russia?Lehtonen (G) had military obligations in Finland when he was drafted but I guess hes cleared them since hes playing in the AHL now. It seems there is always a chance of running into such probelms when drafting russian prospects. I sure hope Ovechkin doesn't stay too long when he is drafted in Russia because Florida will need him as soon as possible ha!

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Russian Federation and CSKA have still not provided these documents....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1679053

"We had a conference call," Daily told ESPN.com on Friday. "There was a great deal of talk regarding concern for the well-being of the player. On the subject of military service, it was discussed a little, but in a situation like that, we didn't expect the documentation issue to be resolved and it wasn't."

Zherdev, 19, flew to Toronto on Sunday and gained permission to enter the United States at the U.S. Consulate in Ottawa on Monday. He debuted for the Blue Jackets on Tuesday against the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

According to one NHL source, the Russian federation and CSKA, Zherdev's former team, were either unable or unwilling to provide conclusive proof that Zherdev is a conscripted soldier. A lack of that disclosure, along with the Blue Jackets' payment of a $100,000 transfer fee to the IIHF, caused Daly to initially rule that Zherdev was eligible to play in the NHL. A source close to the IIHF told ESPN.com that, because documentation was not presented, the issue will likely go to arbitration once the Russians prepare their case.

The inability to produce legal proof of Zherdev's status during the call generates suspicion about the credibility of the Russian organizations' claims, as well as about the documents themselves when they're eventually presented.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Every male in Russia has military obligations and I don't think that Kovalchuk was an exclusion. But he played for Spartak, maybe it is easier to settle military obligations there than in CSKA, not sure. If I am not mistaken, Spartak received for Kovalchuk the largest fee for the european player ever (~$500.000) I think it could play not the last role.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Slay said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1679053

LOL!!! Just curious how could he participate for the Junior Russian national teams for years if he is not Russian citizen?

Since days, I had exactly the same reaction.

IMO, this story will likely be settled as others: big money will be sent to CSKA and\or RHF. Then, the Russians will wait the next agreement negociation between IIHF and NHL to make their point and try to receive more for the players picked by NHL clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad