Not open for further replies.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
#Neither.

Strome/Marner/Hanifin or fail.

It's that simple.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I loved Rantanen at the WJC's but this is a weird poll because they are all slated to go after our top pick and much before our late pick.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I voted Crouse, because I don't think Rantanen fits the classic description of Power Forward. Or atleast to me. His game is predicated more on skill than power.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I voted Crouse, because I don't think Rantanen fits the classic description of Power Forward. Or atleast to me. His game is predicated more on skill than power.

I agree with you. From what I've seen, he is like JVR, just seemed with more playmaking skills. Intriguing prospect, would love to get him at around 10, I think that he is playing well in Finnish league, he'll be top6 forward.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
If it's down to those 2, then Crouse. As much as people dislike the idea of taking a guy who's labeled a "hard-worker" above his skill with a description as a great defensive player, Crouse has the skating, smarts and shot to go with his physical abilities that he will be at least a mid-6, probably a plug anywhere and be happy with his play type guy.

If somehow we grab a pick after 7 (McEichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner, Provorov, Barzal), then he's easily my top choice.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree with you. From what I've seen, he is like JVR, just seemed with more playmaking skills. Intriguing prospect, would love to get him at around 10, I think that he is playing well in Finnish league, he'll be top6 forward.

Good comparable, JVR.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I didn't like this hit. But to me this is what a power forward does part and parcel. Strike fear when they want to hit with power.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lawson Crouse who is listed as #5 on NHL Central Scouting's final NA rankings and ISS Scouting that also have him at #5 both agencies ahead of Mitch Marner.

Most scouting reports have Crouse > Rantanen.

While Rantanen had a strong WJC he is a lot harder to follow while in Finland on a regular basis.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If all of Hanifin, Marner, and Strome were off the table, Id take Provorov before either of these guys.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Crouse easily. Full package power forward. He's gonna be good in three years. Real good. Jenner that's stronger and tougher and skates better.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Lawson Crouse who is listed as #5 on NHL Central Scouting's final NA rankings and ISS Scouting that also have him at #5 both agencies ahead of Mitch Marner.

Most scouting reports have Crouse > Rantanen.

While Rantanen had a strong WJC he is a lot harder to follow while in Finland on a regular basis.

If we drafted Marner at #4/5 and Crouse fell, I'd have no problem picking him (with an additional 1st round pick) to be his winger.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Interesting that everyone is saying Crouse but the poll is even.

I actually liked Rantanen's game more at the WJC. He displayed some elite skills during that tourney. He also had more TOI and played a more prominent role for his team so not a fair comparison based on the WJC's alone.

I think the Fin is flying under the radar a bit.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I didn't like this hit. But to me this is what a power forward does part and parcel. Strike fear when they want to hit with power.

That was more collision than hit. You can see the strength in his game demonstrated pretty good in that one flash. Speed and power down the wing. That's his game but he has exceptional speed also.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
I think both Rantanen and Crouse will be busts, pick neither.

Busts in terms of what? I don't like Crouse and my expectations for him are lower than others (some have him in convo with Marner/Strome/Hanifin which I think is insane), but I think he's safe to be a 3rd liner..

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Neck and neck.

I think Rantanen has the higher upside and is the better offensive player, but i'll take Crouse and the complete, old-school game he brings. If the Leafs had another pick mid-to-upper first round, i'd be ecstatic with this guy. Can't win without 'em.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
With our first pick I would not touch either...doubt either makes it to Nashville's pick, but if they did I would take Crouse before Rantanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad