Crosby vs Mcdavid at the draft….

Who do you draft 18 yr old Crosby or 18 yr old Mcdavid?

• Total voters

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Not a single one of the players on that list managed to maintain their pace by the end of the season, while Crosby continued to maintain that exact PPG over the next 8 seasons (and even improved on that in several individual health-ravaged seasons). I don't think it's a reach to expect a player who regularly played at that level (and has a habit of finishing strong in April) to beat those listed players and edge out OV for the Ross, especially after running away with it the year prior. I venture that OV would have still won the Hart, as his 65 goals was one of the best goalscoring seasons ever, but I'm quite sure it would have been a fight for the scoring title until the very end with Crosby the more likely winner.

Crosby led the league in PPG in 2015 and that's with the mumps in December (the guy almost hilariously couldn't catch a break). 2017 would have been a toss-up, you're right. But Crosby was gearing up for the playoffs and took his foot off the gas, while McDavid admitted (in the Dreger interview) that he specifically went Art Ross-hunting. If Sid doesn't lose the first bit of his season with a concussion and it's closer, the race probably goes right down to the wire and then some.

Crosby isn't guaranteed to have won all of those Art Ross trophies, had he been healthy, but I'm incredibly confident he would have had at least 3+ more (2011 and 13 are locks).

And, yet, here you are again leading the charge for the McDavid fanclub and completely missing the irony in your own comments.
If everything goes perfectly I guess Crosby was technically good enough to win the Art Ross every single season from 2006 to 2017. That being said, projecting everything to go his way every time doesn't make sense. Every player has some issues every season and if it was always that close, it's clear he wasn't good enough to beat the variance of the field on a yearly basis.

He obviously was a better player than two scoring titles would indicate, but assuming every break goes into his favour and he never misses games and counting him with seven Art Rosses or whatever is just unreasonable.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Not a single one of the players on that list managed to maintain their pace by the end of the season, while Crosby continued to maintain that exact PPG over the next 8 seasons (and even improved on that in several individual health-ravaged seasons). I don't think it's a reach to expect a player who regularly played at that level (and has a habit of finishing strong in April) to beat those listed players and edge out OV for the Ross, especially after running away with it the year prior. I venture that OV would have still won the Hart, as his 65 goals was one of the best goalscoring seasons ever, but I'm quite sure it would have been a fight for the scoring title until the very end with Crosby the more likely winner.

Crosby led the league in PPG in 2015 and that's with the mumps in December (the guy almost hilariously couldn't catch a break). 2017 would have been a toss-up, you're right. But Crosby was gearing up for the playoffs and took his foot off the gas, while McDavid admitted (in the Dreger interview) that he specifically went Art Ross-hunting. If Sid doesn't lose the first bit of his season with a concussion and it's closer, the race probably goes right down to the wire and then some.

Crosby isn't guaranteed to have won all of those Art Ross trophies, had he been healthy, but I'm incredibly confident he would have had at least 3+ more (2011 and 13 are locks).

And, yet, here you are again leading the charge for the McDavid fanclub and completely missing the irony in your own comments.

You must think me a very sinister doctor.

C1D0FBB5-FDB9-4792-8D36-ED3FD1F8A193.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad