Crosby vs Kucherov IQ wise

• Crosby

Votes: 208 74.6%
  • Kucherov

Votes: 71 25.4%

• Total voters

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
This is a good description of both, but the biggest thing that differentiates them is risk analysis, which I'd argue is part of IQ. Crosby is probably one of if not the lowest risk player in the league, yeah he has his fairshare of highlights but the majority of his playmaking game is smart, accurate passes that make him look "boring" while Kucherov will take absurdly high risks to make a play that probably only he can see which leads to some brutal turnovers or highlight of the week. Obviously these pan out more than not but there's definitely a level of risk that's higher with his type of playmaking.

You obviously never saw Crosby play considering the defense he played against his first 3 years were some of the leagues worst, half those guys could barely skate under the new rules. This is probably one of the most ironically dumb statements I've ever seen.
the first 3 years wasn't his prime or peak, try harder.

Last edited:

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Crosby, I think. Once he refined his game, he was almost always on top of his game. The only real way to throw him off, it seemed, was to get him upset but even as he matured, he stopped taking the bait as much.

Kucherov is dynamic offensively but he does have some hiccups now and then that Crosby wouldn't and doesn't make.

Reactions: sanscosm

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That has not been my findings, no. Elite hockey IQ players actually tend to find an even higher level because they have to adapt to their diminishing physical and technical attributes.

I would argue that IQ doesn’t regress in itself, but
sometimes reaction time deteriorates to the point where they might have to make simpler plays to compensate and those might not seem like high IQ plays. Also, physical fatigue often leads to mental fatigue and mistakes, so a decrease in endurance could mean a decrease in functional hockey IQ if the player is playing too many minutes. I don’t know if either would apply to Crosby just yet though.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
That brings on the philosophical question of: "Is hockey sense evaluated by reaction time...or would that fall on the physical too?" Which isn't to say I didn't read your description regarding "mental fatigue"...it can all become quite academic for those who are into that kind of thing (which a nerd like me is haha)...

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Or you just are talented and abandon any defensive responsibilities
Ok this is just ridiculous... Being talented and offensively minded isn't enough to score 144 freaking points. Kucherov clearly has extremely high hockey IQ. It won't kill you to be objective for once on this website and give a player who's being compared to Crosby some semblance of credit.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I wouldn't really want to compare their IQ, they are just different.

Crosby is extremely smart and naturally great at so many parts of the game. He also works very hard, which is important for any genius. He can adjust and adapt and learn new things.

Kucherov looks like a savant. His playmaking is breathtakingly beautiful, arguably the most beautiful of any hockey player ever.

devo09

Feb 20, 2012
I’d say their IQ is equal. Crosby had/has the better physical tools (and work ethic) and that’s what separates them.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosbys 200ft game was invented the moment his offensive decline so that he could still be "the best player" over the likes of ovie.
Wrong.
1713586228207.png

Reactions: pi314 and sanscosm

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosbys 200ft game was invented the moment his offensive decline so that he could still be "the best player" over the likes of ovie.
So it was a league wide conspiracy? Because Crosby has been voted most complete player 5 years in a row by his peers.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
So it was a league wide conspiracy? Because Crosby has been voted most complete player 5 years in a row by his peers.
It's human to always want your home star to excel and it's not possible to be objective at all times. Like how I am not always objective when it comes to Karlsson. And how some Canadian voters are going to put Makar at number 1 this year as well.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Crosby in his prime, but Kutcherov now
You are saying that crosby has lost understanding of the game from his youth? That in addition to losong speed, recovery time, quickness, and stamina, he has also gotten dumber at hockey as he ages?

So Crosby is the first athlete in history to get worse at everything as he ages while still maintaining elite production at retirement age?

Man, he must’ve been f***ing amazing in his youth.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
That has not been my findings, no. Elite hockey IQ players actually tend to find an even higher level because they have to adapt to their diminishing physical and technical attributes.
Look at what he was responding to, it was a rhetorical question. Also see my last post, a sarcastic series of questions and observation.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
You are saying that crosby has lost understanding of the game from his youth? That in addition to losong speed, recovery time, quickness, and stamina, he has also gotten dumber at hockey as he ages?

So Crosby is the first athlete in history to get worse at everything as he ages while still maintaining elite production at retirement age?

Man, he must’ve been f***ing amazing in his youth.
I know your being scarcastic but some people only attribute crosby being a top 10 all time player due to his work ethic or iq. He scored 193 points in 74 gp in midget AAA as an underaged 14 year old. He was born a phenom

Reactions: HolyHagelin

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Kucherov makes far too many risky plays in a game to consider his IQ to be high

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad