• About even

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Did Crosby work with James Neal? He was an elite ppg+ winger for 3 years on the pens

I remember him being with Malkin not Crosby

Neal also played like a poor man's OV (Post 2010) in his 3 year peak

Crosby didn't really get a decent stretch with Neal. When they acquired Neal, that's when Crosby went down for the year and missed 60 games the following year. Malkin and Neal lit it up in Crosby's absence, plus Crosby was clicking with Kunitz/Dupuis, so Crosby/Neal wasn't really tried apart from the odd shift or game.

I also don't think Neal was anything like prime Ovechkin. Ovechkin at his best moved around the ice and actually could create on his own. He was a good passer in his own right, and good at handling/carrying the puck. Neal was literally the "get open and wait for Malkin to set him up, but don't let him carry the puck" type.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I doubt that Crosby and Ovechkin would be good together but went with them anyway in recognition of talent.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Crosby didn't really get a decent stretch with Neal. When they acquired Neal, that's when Crosby went down for the year and missed 60 games the following year. Malkin and Neal lit it up in Crosby's absence, plus Crosby was clicking with Kunitz/Dupuis, so Crosby/Neal wasn't really tried apart from the odd shift or game.

I also don't think Neal was anything like prime Ovechkin. Ovechkin at his best moved around the ice and actually could create on his own. He was a good passer in his own right, and good at handling/carrying the puck. Neal was literally the "get open and wait for Malkin to set him up, but don't let him carry the puck" type.
Ah true,

I meant not prime OV, Neal was similar (worse version) of 2014-2018 OV where he was more of a sniper than a puck carrier and play maker.

Though perhaps Neal was way to much of a shooter vs OV who was still a guy who did other stuff outside of just shooting in that period

Crosby and Ovechkin briefly played together at an all star game.

I always thought their styles would mesh well.

Nice to see 87 to 8

But man I didn't realize NHL Allstar game had been devolved to 3on3 no intensity game.

Haven't watched an all-star game since like 2016. Players didn't try much back then but there was some defense and physical play at times from certain guys.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
The difference between McDavid and Crosby is not large enough to overcome the difference between Draisaitl and OV.

It wouldn't even matter if the 2 meshed well you'd just acquire a good 2C that would mesh well with OV and you have 2 beast lines similar to Edmonton and Pittsburgh.

Another interesting question, who would have the better powerplay, OV+Draisaitl or McDavid+Crosby

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He struggled finding the right partners in the national team as well. Remember them trying to play him with Nash and many other goal scorers but it didn't work as well as you expected. Still though. I don't think him and Ovie would work that well together. As a combo they are the superior players, but since OP asked for chemistry I'd go with the two other Hart and Art Ross winners who's proven to be the most productive combo in the league when played together.
Rick Nash wasn't smart enough of a player to play with Crosby, and played like he was the best player on that line. Just because Babcock put him with the wrong players doesn't mean he can't play with talented guys. When Crosby and Malkin played together occasionally they absolutely shredded the opposition.

Did Crosby work with James Neal? He was an elite ppg+ winger for 3 years on the pens

I remember him being with Malkin not Crosby

Neal also played like a poor man's OV (Post 2010) in his 3 year peak
Crosby & Neal, for the short time they were together, was more productive than Malkin & Neal. Unlike some other franchises, the Penguins' goal was never to put their #1 OA's Art Ross chances over having a deeper team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He struggled finding the right partners in the national team as well. Remember them trying to play him with Nash and many other goal scorers but it didn't work as well as you expected. Still though. I don't think him and Ovie would work that well together. As a combo they are the superior players, but since OP asked for chemistry I'd go with the two other Hart and Art Ross winners who's proven to be the most productive combo in the league when played together.

TC tended to want to keep "linemates" together, so the eligible pool of options for Crosby was limited because, for instance, they wanted to keep Heatley/Thornton together, as well as Getzlaf/Perry.

The "scorers" Crosby played with at the Olympics were Iginla, E. Staal, Nash in 2010, then Kunitz, Bergeron, St. Louis and Carter in 2014. St. Louis and Iginla were elite in their prime, but I don't think either was still at the top of their game at that point. The rest were more in the "good to very good" range.

Would have been interesting to see how Crosby did with Stamkos in 2014 if Stamkos hadn't broken his leg and missed the Olympics. That was supposed to be the "sniper" penciled in for Crosby's wing that year.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Mcdavid Drasaitl because Ovechkin is clearly worst of these 4 players. Crosby Mcdavid about evenly matched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad