Crosby, OV, Thornton: Who would you like to retire with the most career points?

Who would you like to retire with the most career points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
For Crosby to retire with less points than Thornton, there would have to be a devastating career ending injury…not sure anyone wants to see that.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I’d like to see Ovie take it but I’d be very surprised if it wasn’t Crosby.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Joe Thornton cause he played in the good old nineties unlike the other two clowns and I had him on a smallworld team way back when with Glen Murray

Reactions: Sorry

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Both Ov and Crosby will definitely pass Thornton barring a catastrophe.

Crosby is younger and the better player/point producer today, and is already ahead of Ovechkin. Its just logical he ends up first.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Crosby and Ovechkin are only 100ish points back of Thornton. The chance the Thornton retires with more points than either is very very small.
Agreed....even less likely, but technically possible, Ovechkin could finish his career by scoring another 106 goals, but only tallying another 5 assists and could break the goal scoring record, but still finish behind Thornton in points.

The better person to through into the poll with Crosby and Ovechkin would be Francis (i.e. chances of either Crosby or Ovechkin finishing top 5 all time in points)? That's more of a challenge.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I’d like to see ovi have the most points just so people argue him vs Crosby more

crosby87

Oct 15, 2017

Crosby is younger and the better player/point producer today, and is already ahead of Ovechkin. Its just logical he ends up first.
crosby most likely retires before ovechkin though

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Agreed....even less likely, but technically possible, Ovechkin could finish his career by scoring another 106 goals, but only tallying another 5 assists and could break the goal scoring record, but still finish behind Thornton in points.

The better person to through into the poll with Crosby and Ovechkin would be Francis (i.e. chances of either Crosby or Ovechkin finishing top 5 all time in points)? That's more of a challenge.

I was looking at the all-time leaders earlier and you're right, Francis is a good target for them

Crosby 1436 points (17th all time)
Ovechkin 1427 points (18th all time)

Howe 1850 points 4th all time
Francis 1798 points 5th all time
Dionne 1771 6th all time

Good chance by season's end Crosby/Ovechkin are at ~1500 points, +/- 20 points. So they'd need ~300 more points to top 1800 and move into the top 5.

I don't think they're going to average 100 point a season for 3 years. Could they average 75 points a year over 4 years? More plausible - but even then unlikely, especially for Ovechkin as he's older. I think Ovechkin would need 5 seasons minimum after this one to reach 1800 points - Crosby could potentially do it in 4 more seasons.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
crosby most likely retires before ovechkin though

I think that's very unlikely (NHL only). Ovechkin has been saying for over 10 years that he wants to play in Russia before ending his career. I don't know if that's the case with everything going on. But if he does, he'll likely leave after getting the goal record ( in 2 years at age 39ish). Even if he only plays 2 years in Russia that puts him at age 41.

Crosby still has two years left under contact, taking him until age 37. I would be shocked if he calls it then. Even if Ovechkin plays to an older age than Crosby, the 22 month age gaps likely means Crosby plays his last NHL game after Ovechkin.

Ovechkin is third in games played amongst active players. Likely will be first next year. If he plays past age 39 he'll be top 10 all time in games played.

Last edited:

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Joe Thornton cause he played in the good old nineties unlike the other two clowns and I had him on a smallworld team way back when with Glen Murray
Haha, nice smallworld reference.

Crosby.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Are you suggesting OV finishes behind Thornton in points, but still has the goal record? That's as close to impossible as you can get.

No, just the order of who I would "like to retire with the most career points"
Ovi is #1 out of the 3 in goals anyway so he doesn't need to get the most points

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Seems like some people are getting confused. Op is asking for who you'd LIKE to see finish with the most pts, not who you THINK will finish with the most pts.

Like to see: OV
Think it'll be: Crosby

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

pretty much this.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Seems like some people are getting confused. Op is asking for who you'd LIKE to see finish with the most pts, not who you THINK will finish with the most pts.

Like to see: OV
Think it'll be: Crosby
Maybe some, but I think most are looking at it as who would I like to see do this, but trying to be realistic at the same time....having Thornton in there doesn't seem realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad