Credit Where Credit is Due (Hitchcock)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That makes me sick when people kiss ass like that lol.

Also the title of this thread always makes me chuckle whenever I see it.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
“I had to look twice when the guy [Allen] came out on the ice at the end,” coach Ken Hitchcock said. “I didn’t even know he was coming out on the ice.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_60cba112-8818-585c-806f-9d3ed33f57c4.html

Is Hitchcock really that out of touch with the team and management that he's not even aware of the status of his starting goalie? I can't believe how inept Blues management and coaching is if they're this clueless. If they're not worried about the health of their starting goaltender or the lack of offense, what exactly is consuming all of their time?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
“I had to look twice when the guy [Allen] came out on the ice at the end,†coach Ken Hitchcock said. “I didn’t even know he was coming out on the ice.â€

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_60cba112-8818-585c-806f-9d3ed33f57c4.html

Is Hitchcock really that out of touch with the team and management that he's not even aware of the status of his starting goalie? I can't believe how inept Blues management and coaching is if they're this clueless. If they're not worried about the health of their starting goaltender or the lack of offense, what exactly is consuming all of their time?

JR hit on it yesterday during his chat, many times with injured players the trainers do not keep Hitch and the others updated on what they are doing. Especially right now with Hitch trying to solve the mystery of where the offense went.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I can see how it could be counterproductive for a coach to be obsessing over the day to day progress of injured players. He probably has a general time frame (like we do) and then just focuses on his job. Its pretty clear that he's made line adjustments in anticipation of Schwartz being plugged into the line-up. He's set it up so that only one line will be disrupted when that occurs (though maybe disrupting ALL the lines wouldn't be a bad thing after this recent stretch.)

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
My point is a well-rounded coach with a great relationship with his GM knows everything that's going on with the club and how it affects the roster now and later in the year. Hitch and Army take their old school, hands off method too far and silo their information. Teams work together, and that needs to include the coaches and management.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
My point is a well-rounded coach with a great relationship with his GM knows everything that's going on with the club and how it affects the roster now and later in the year. Hitch and Army take their old school, hands off method too far and silo their information. Teams work together, and that needs to include the coaches and management.

What good does it do to know Allen is skating? He's not playing tonight. For all we know, it could be spontaneous, Allen felt like he cold skate so Birile brought him out on the ice. Your inferring that Hitch knows absolutely nothing about Allen. Of the irritating thongs hitch does...this is very low on the list

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I think Hitch retires from coaching and finds a position in the front office. First Blues coach to take a Blues team to the WCF in 15 years. Quenneville never did it with the Blues. Lots of good Blues coaches never made it to WCF with a Blue's team.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I think Hitch retires from coaching and finds a position in the front office. First Blues coach to take a Blues team to the WCF in 15 years. Quenneville never did it with the Blues. Lots of good Blues coaches never made it to WCF with a Blue's team.

q did it in 2001 with em.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
If the Blues don't bring back Hitch, they will be the only team in the league to remove the 3 of the top 4 winningest coaches in NHL history from the position. And folks wonder why we haven't won the cup.

Hitch just took us further than any other coach has in 49 years. And it seems like half the fan base wants him gone. That is completely illogical. The main complaints being the system that he wants the players to play. Ridiculous.

Fact of the matter is, Hitch is a great coach and his system has proven to work. The Blues playing "Blues hockey" ala the Hitchcock style resulted in the best performances the team had in the postseason. (Multiple games aginst Chicago, 3 games against Dallas, and game 4 against the Sharks) When the Blues got away from that style, they looked terrible. His system works, and the players have finally gotten back into the mindset that it does, after taking a few years off. The team just needs to work on developing more consistency within the system.

It's so frustrating to have people comment on Hitch needing to go, when it is so clear that they have never played a day of competitive hockey in their lives. Coaching in hockey is basically just trying to calculate response to chaos and unpredictability. A team's success is much more dependent upon the players than it is on the coach. Our team had 3 or 4 new faces this year with a same coach, and there was a dramatic difference in play from previous years. With the logic that Hitch is the cause of all the failures, the Blues should never have made it out of the first round. They shouldn't have had a winning record on the road for the first time in years. But they did. Why? Because the players were different. There is only so much a coach can do. Hitch clearly has proven that he can contribute just as much as any other coach in the league and there is no valid reasoning in trying to force him out of his position.

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
the people saying hitch needs to go will be the first ones here crying once we miss the playoffs because of inferior coaching.

hitch is responsible for our best players and goalies going MIA in this series

hitch is responsible for the new playoff format which severely screwed us this year

hitch is responsible that we couldnt put dallas and chicago away sooner

hitch is responsible for the joke officiating all playoffs long

give me a break. hitch secured his job when he beat dallas and you guys are just gonna have to find a new scapegoat to blame. i suggest looking at #91 #19 #22 and if we find out #20 had no injuries, him as well.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think this Blues team was so heavily deep that it doens't matter who would coach them they would go pretty far in playoffs. And I think coach who knows better 1. transition game 2. powerplay 3. offensive play 4. forecheck, we'd be easily dominate team, Hitch, Muller and (Shaw) just don't have that kind of skilss.

This year was it and we somehowe blow it. I still think we didn't look and try right assests for and options at PK icetime and maybe some other players on dmen spot. Pietro was totally out of gas and this post-season confirm he can't handle this kind of icetime load, yet.

Going forward to this summer there is going to be some change with players and I doubt we're going to be same level comparing this year team. I don't think we can keep Shattery, Backes and Brouwer in + knowing there is Schwartz getting big payment + Brodziak and Upshall getting money more then 1mill.$, Ott is questionmark.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I thought Hitchcock made a lot of good moves during the playoffs run. I liked how he handled infusing players like Jaskin and Paajarvi in positions where they could succeed. I agreed with giving Allen the start. Game 5, you could argue either way, but there was reason to expect Allen to play even better than Game 4.

I don't think Hitchcock gets his due on this board, but I think he's gone regardless. He's going to leave big shoes to fill (har har) for whoever follows him. But it will be energizing to see a new face, new voice and different system in place. Most likely it will also mean the team will struggle for at least half of the season next year.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
If the Blues don't bring back Hitch, they will be the only team in the league to remove the 3 of the top 4 winningest coaches in NHL history from the position. And folks wonder why we haven't won the cup.

Hitch just took us further than any other coach has in 49 years. And it seems like half the fan base wants him gone. That is completely illogical. The main complaints being the system that he wants the players to play. Ridiculous.

Fact of the matter is, Hitch is a great coach and his system has proven to work. The Blues playing "Blues hockey" ala the Hitchcock style resulted in the best performances the team had in the postseason. (Multiple games aginst Chicago, 3 games against Dallas, and game 4 against the Sharks) When the Blues got away from that style, they looked terrible. His system works, and the players have finally gotten back into the mindset that it does, after taking a few years off. The team just needs to work on developing more consistency within the system.

It's so frustrating to have people comment on Hitch needing to go, when it is so clear that they have never played a day of competitive hockey in their lives. Coaching in hockey is basically just trying to calculate response to chaos and unpredictability. A team's success is much more dependent upon the players than it is on the coach. Our team had 3 or 4 new faces this year with a same coach, and there was a dramatic difference in play from previous years. With the logic that Hitch is the cause of all the failures, the Blues should never have made it out of the first round. They shouldn't have had a winning record on the road for the first time in years. But they did. Why? Because the players were different. There is only so much a coach can do. Hitch clearly has proven that he can contribute just as much as any other coach in the league and there is no valid reasoning in trying to force him out of his position.

Meanwhile in Pittsburgh... :shakehead

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
the people saying hitch needs to go will be the first ones here crying once we miss the playoffs because of inferior coaching.

hitch is responsible for our best players and goalies going MIA in this series

hitch is responsible for the new playoff format which severely screwed us this year

hitch is responsible that we couldnt put dallas and chicago away sooner

hitch is responsible for the joke officiating all playoffs long

give me a break. hitch secured his job when he beat dallas and you guys are just gonna have to find a new scapegoat to blame. i suggest looking at #91 #19 #22 and if we find out #20 had no injuries, him as well.

The fact that you're still hanging onto this relieves you of all credibility. Maybe you should just change your user name to RefDizee. :rolleyes: :dunce:

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I thought Hitchcock made a lot of good moves during the playoffs run. I liked how he handled infusing players like Jaskin and Paajarvi in positions where they could succeed. I agreed with giving Allen the start. Game 5, you could argue either way, but there was reason to expect Allen to play even better than Game 4.

I don't think Hitchcock gets his due on this board, but I think he's gone regardless. He's going to leave big shoes to fill (har har) for whoever follows him. But it will be energizing to see a new face, new voice and different system in place. Most likely it will also mean the team will struggle for at least half of the season next year.

His moves likely cost us the series. I hated the goalies bs he pulled. So did the players.

You're an apologist, always have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad