Credit to Stillman

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Why are we pointing the credit to Stillman instead of Army? All Stillman does is write the check's; Army's the one who did the leg work and landed Stastny and Lehtera. The chicken little's were all gung ho in bashing Army and Hitch after the loss to Chicago(calling for them to be fired and what not), and now it's Stillman who gets the credit for Stastny?

Sorry, but it don't work like that. If Army gets the lions share of the blame for the Miller mistake then he gets the lions share of the credit for the Stastny signing.

I absolutely loathe double standards like that.

Army doesn't get to offer the kind of money Lehtera, Berglund or Stastny wanted to sign, without Stillman giving him the green light to spend to the cap. Stillman gets the credit for his willingness to spend when The Blues have always been a internal cap team. For basically telling Army, "do what you have to do, I want this team to be a winner, you have the entire cap to play with, here, here's a blank check! I want Stastny make it happen!"

Seems to me, Stillman is actively trying to make The Blues a exciting team St. Louis fans will want to watch, and buy tickets to see consistently. There is room to be the #2 sports franchise in STL, he knows this. But they have to produce a winner, and he's doing his part to make that happen.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
Why are we pointing the credit to Stillman instead of Army? All Stillman does is write the check's; Army's the one who did the leg work and landed Stastny and Lehtera. The chicken little's were all gung ho in bashing Army and Hitch after the loss to Chicago(calling for them to be fired and what not), and now it's Stillman who gets the credit for Stastny?

Sorry, but it don't work like that. If Army gets the lions share of the blame for the Miller mistake then he gets the lions share of the credit for the Stastny signing.

I gave credit all around in my original post. But without Stillman giving the financial go ahead, Army would be Larry 2.0.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Bit of an overreaction.

I see people giving both of them credit. But Armstrong probably would have only been able to get one of Lehtera or Stastny under old ownership, i.e. a tight budget.

If you can't see why people are giving credit to Stillman then I seriously don't know what to tell you.

Edit: And it goes beyond Stastny and Lehtera. It also accounts for going for Miller (which didn't work out, but we tried), re-signing Bouwmeester, re-signing Steen, etc. He's opened up the pockets for sure.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Best owner since the Saloman's without a doubt. I remember about 6 years ago going to a Blues preseason prospect camp at the mills and seeing a bunch of Blues alumni that I recognized and there was one guy with them that I had never seen before. When Stillman became the owner I figured out that guy was him and knew we would be in the right hands.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
We are lucky to have an owner like Stillman. A hometown owner that played the game and loves the game!! He seems committed to making the Blues a winning franchise. I have a lot more faith in Tom Stillman than I had with past ownership/management groups!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Stillman runs the franchise the way most fans would run the franchise; spend whatever you need to make this team competitive. He truly cares about winning, he's at most games, he's at many public events, and he truly cares if the team wins, knowing full well he's going to lose money at the end of the year. We are VERY fortunate to have him.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
The Blues are returning the love to Stillman this year. I think since we made the WCF this will be the first year in awhile that the Blues as a whole will be profitable, on top of that i heard a statistic somewhere that the Blues rank 1st in merchandise sales since the Playoffs started.

Congrats Stillman, you deserve all this!

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
The Blues are returning the love to Stillman this year. I think since we made the WCF this will be the first year in awhile that the Blues as a whole will be profitable, on top of that i heard a statistic somewhere that the Blues rank 1st in merchandise sales since the Playoffs started.

Congrats Stillman, you deserve all this!

Here is the article you're referencing.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2016/04/29/st-louis-blues-merchandise-flying-off-shelves/

As stated, Stillman deserves this. I'm extremely happy for him and the ownership group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad