Credit to Stillman

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I just wanted to start a thread where we could comment on the actions of the ownership group.

I love how present Stillman is at the games, and how obvious it is that he is a fan, too. No one would mistake him for an owner that views the Blues as purely a business venture.

Also, I really didn't expect the team to spend to the cap. Last year was a bit of an exception because the cap was reduced. Then, after getting burned on free agency to some degree and with the trades for Miller and Ott not really turning out as hoped...I thought it may be a bit more conservative this season. But they did what was necessary to get Stastny. And rather than dumping off Berglund, they appear to be prepared to roll with him and Leopold in support roles for generous salaries.

That kind of depth will pay dividends later on. (I realize the Sobotka and Schwartz deals are still pending before we see hoe it shapes up.....but these are the early indications.)

This is more than I'd hoped for when the team was sold.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
Kudos to Stillman, for sure. Finally have an owner that is willing to give the GM some freedom to take chances. We have a GM willing to take chances, now its time for the players to do their part, and get us a Cup. Or two. or Three.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Agree completely, and he has to hold his coalition together too with all of those things going on. The part that bummed me most last year was that it was a unique opportunity as far as cap goes. I had no expectation they'd go this deep again.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Couldn't imagine where this team would be right now without him. We probably wouldn't be able to compete in the west.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I think it really shows that the team is not near as troubled financially as everyone seems to think it is. I don't care how much you want to bring a championship to a city, if you are not making money, your investment group is not going to risk losing millions to do it.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
iXPFE02afeAZo.gif

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
He and Army have made me very excited about what we can accomplish this season. New jerseys, big time free agent pick up, some really smart signings/extensions, while still maintaining basically the core lineup that was successful last season already.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Yeah I'll probably splurge for a Schwartz or Tarasenko jersey this season pending the new design, I feel good about supporting this ownership. It's too bad I probably won't get to see a home game for the blues. (I'm not sure actually if jerseys actually benefit the team, at least in the blues situation? anyone know?)

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I just really hope Stillman is able to get the tax breaks the Cards and Rams get, along with reworked parking and concessions deals. This team can make money if the city would let it. I love the Cardinals, but damn it makes me mad to see the coddling they get. They got TIF money to build ballpark village for Christ's sake, but the Blues can't even get a damn tax break?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Down here in Cape they do bus trips for the cards...wish they'd do it for the Blues. Games aren't really over till around 10 then a 2 hr drive home, sucks for us outta towners

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Down here in Cape they do bus trips for the cards...wish they'd do it for the Blues. Games aren't really over till around 10 then a 2 hr drive home, sucks for us outta towners

Yep, I'm currently in Cape and usually get home around 12:30 A.M. after a game.

But I'm finishing SEMO and my wife and I are moving back home to the Lou in one more year. :handclap:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I'm really happy with what he's doing. Seems like his entire focus is making the team as competitive as possible and not worrying about money.

Hope we can win a cup to reward him (and the fans obviously).

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
If it's been said before, I'll say it again: it's great to have an owner that's actually a fan of the team.

We got lucky (especially if you take a look at other ownerships in the NHL and sports in general).

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013
Strictly speaking, it's not "his" money. He is a good face to put in front of deep pockets...and he put his own, not insignificant, skin in the game.

He likes the game and I like him. I also thank "him" for listening to him. So that "we" have a team worth following in the most awfully good division in all of professional sports...

Tanks fer dat at least, eh?

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
He regularly manages to get the Taylors to part with more money than they were planning.
And anyone who knows them will tell you that isn't always the easiest thing to do.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Why are we pointing the credit to Stillman instead of Army? All Stillman does is write the check's; Army's the one who did the leg work and landed Stastny and Lehtera. The chicken little's were all gung ho in bashing Army and Hitch after the loss to Chicago(calling for them to be fired and what not), and now it's Stillman who gets the credit for Stastny?

Sorry, but it don't work like that. If Army gets the lions share of the blame for the Miller mistake then he gets the lions share of the credit for the Stastny signing.

I absolutely loathe double standards like that.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Love having Stillman as the owner, dude has a passion for hockey and The Blues. He wants to see this team succeed and thrive, and is willing to spend all the way to the new cap, even after yet another disappointing playoff performance last season. Gotta say, I didn't see all this spending coming after what they spent last year, meshed with another 1st round exit, the guy wants to win, and he's doing everything in his power to make that happen!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Why are we pointing the credit to Stillman instead of Army? All Stillman does is write the check's; Army's the one who did the leg work and landed Stastny and Lehtera. The chicken little's were all gung ho in bashing Army and Hitch after the loss to Chicago(calling for them to be fired and what not), and now it's Stillman who gets the credit for Stastny?

Sorry, but it don't work like that. If Army gets the lions share of the blame for the Miller mistake then he gets the lions share of the credit for the Stastny signing.

Its not a double standard. We were a mid-market team that lost money last year. If you look at team revenue, we should be no where near the cap. But we are. Army wouldn't have been able to work his "magic" if Stillman didn't find the cash for him to do it. We have had other GMs who could have targeted and signed Stasny. A lobotomized ape could target the best center on the market and let his family and Shattenkirk recruit him. But an owner who is willing to consistently spend to get us over the hump is something that we really haven't had. Before GMs hands were tied by having to offer less money. Army was actually able to offer more to get the player and the term he wanted.

Don't get me wrong, Army did a great job this off season. He made the right moves and not all were as obvious as Stasny. But that doesn't mean we weren't right to critique him for the mistakes he has made that led to the holes he had to fill. And that doesn't mean we can't be happy we have ownership that is willing to spend the maximum to help realize the potential of this team.

All Stillman does is write the check? That is easier said than done. Let's see you talk a bunch of business men into spending $70 million dollars on a business that is leaking money consistently. That is more than just writing a check.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I'm not sure who is bashing Armstrong, but I don't think he could offer Stastny that contract without trading salary, under the past ownership.

I credit them both, but the purpose of this thread is to draw attention to things that are better under the new ownership group. I fail to see a double standard. Armstrong has received plenty of praise and even GM of the year recently. I wanted to make more particular note of what Stillman has brought to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad