Line Combos: Create your 3 on 3 line-ups!

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Dont think there is a thread out there yet for this, but who would you be your 3 on 3 combinations?

You going 1 forward two 2, two forward 1 d, all forwards? ALL D????? :laugh:

Our best forwards arent the fastest, while the fastest arent the most skilled.

would Jagr even see ice time out there?

If Jagr is out there Ill go Jagr Campbell and Kulikov to make-up the speed.

Barkov Bjugstad Ekblad?

Bjugstad-Pirri-Campbell for one time options

Thoughts?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
one d-man. Ekblad, Kulikov, and Campbell should rotate. Nobody else is worthy.

Forwards
Hubs and Barkov
Bjugstad and Smith
Trocheck and Jagr

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz

Forwards
Hubs and Barkov
Bjugstad and Smith
Trocheck and Jagr

I agree with the D, but Rocco absolutely has to play 3-3. Not did he only score 4 OT winners at 3 on 3, but he is the guy who has the most experience at playing in this configuration. Plus he has the tools (speed, skill and speed) to continue this trend

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I agree with the D, but Rocco absolutely has to play 3-3. Not did he only score 4 OT winners at 3 on 3, but he is the guy who has the most experience at playing in this configuration. Plus he has the tools (speed, skill and speed) to continue this trend

I'm not convinced he makes the team. If he does, I agree with you.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
You all should be only concerned about one player/s during 3-on-3.

The player/s on the roster who SHOOTS HIGH AND WIDE way too often.

Scenario:

1) Panthers are in transition into the offensive zone.

2) Player A on the LW or RW aims for the top corners of the net, shoots, misses high and wide, puck rims around and the opposition is going the other way in numbers with the puck all alone on Luongo.

3) Crapville for Luongo.

THAT

CANNOT

HAPPEN

EVER

Figure out who those players are and sit them during the 3-on-3.

If he makes the team. Yes he should get prime time during the 3-on-3.

1) He's the quickest player on the team

2) He's an unknown to the opposition

3) He's got some level of offensive competency in overtime

Forwards
Hubs and Barkov
Bjugstad and Smith
Trocheck and Jagr

I would think twice about Kulikov.

He's a high and wide player because of his tendency to aim high all the time. Everyone has seen plenty of examples.

Last edited by a moderator:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Does Huberdeau have the speed for 3 v 3? I feel like I would be more comfortable with Trocheck out there than him for some reason.

3 v 3 is very back and forth and if you don't have guys out there that can transition with speed (both ways), you're finished.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz

Scenario:

2) Player A on the LW or RW aims for the top corners of the net, shoots, misses high and wide, puck rims around and the opposition is going the other way in numbers with the puck all alone on Luongo.

3) Crapville for Luongo.

THAT

CANNOT

HAPPEN

EVER

He's a high and wide player because of his tendency to aim high all the time. Everyone has seen plenty of examples.

This is already p***ing me off on the PP when I guy fires from the faceoff dot, high short side, misses and out we go... (Kovalev used to be a guy to regularly do that).

Rocco must be there because he will be the only one on the team to have played 3 on 3 in real game action on a high level (and I am sure he will stick. He had 40 points in 60 games in the AHL, so the offense for at least 15-20 points in the first real NHL season is there which seems fine to me to start with. Only question mark is the D-part).

And Kuli has to play 3 on 3. He is the best skater behind Campbell and imo the best D-man we have that is decent offensively AND defensively. I wouldn't just take shooting habits as the knock-out criterion

Dunno where my post went..

Bjugstad Rocco Ekblad
Jagr Barkov Campbell
Huber Pirri Kulikov

I think the first line sounds very intriguing, should basically be a lock.

Not sure about Jagr, Huby and Pirri though who don't have the skating ability to go back and forth in all 3 zones. Jagr/Barkov could work since Barky will run for Jagr, but Huby/Pirri sounds like suicide to me.

Of course the question is who to put instead and i think we might even see D-Mac from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Barkov-Pirri-Campbell
Bjugstad-Grimaldi-Ekblad
Trocheck-Jagr-Kulikov

If crouse is playing then I'll definitely put him out there. Big body, can fly, and is defensively responsible. Has a great release too. I also like:

Barkov-Pirri-Campbell
Bjugstad-Crouse-Ekblad
MacKenzie-Grimaldi-Kulikov

There's tons of great combos.

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
So, do we all agree on the following??

Doesn't matter who's out there..

THE CARDINAL RULES OF 3-on-3 OVERTIME

1) In the offensive zone, NEVER shoot the puck high/wide, miss the net entirely, leading to a great outlet pass for the opposition to go in on Luongo and have their way with him (9 times out of 10 whoever the goalie is will get completely pwned)

2) In the offensive zone, NEVER shoot the puck into traffic and have your shot BLOCKED off a shin pad (puck goes in opposite direction), which is another great outlet pass for the opposition to pick the puck up in the neutral zone and go in on Luongo and perform a shinny hockey, circus act play to win the game. Salt in the wound.

3) Wherever the play is, NEVER take a stupid penalty during the 3-on-3 overtime. [If it legit saves a goal; it's frowned upon, but accepted if it no doubt saves a goal]

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think the first line sounds very intriguing, should basically be a lock.

Not sure about Jagr, Huby and Pirri though who don't have the skating ability to go back and forth in all 3 zones. Jagr/Barkov could work since Barky will run for Jagr, but Huby/Pirri sounds like suicide to me.

Of course the question is who to put instead and i think we might even see D-Mac from time to time

While I'm 100% sure of the first two combos, I too am suspicious of the third, but I considered it more of a crime not to have Pirri(our most underrated weapon?) out there and Huberdeau who should be healthy enough to get back to his game that made him Calder material.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Scenario:

3) Crapville for Luongo.

THAT

CANNOT

HAPPEN

EVER

You can't roll Ekblad and Campbell back to back. They'll get too tired. Kulikov can skate and is one of our better d-men.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
So, do we all agree on the following??

Doesn't matter who's out there..

THE CARDINAL RULES OF 3-on-3 OVERTIME

1) In the offensive zone, NEVER shoot the puck high/wide, miss the net entirely, leading to a great outlet pass for the opposition to go in on Luongo and have their way with him (9 times out of 10 whoever the goalie is will get completely pwned)

2) In the offensive zone, NEVER shoot the puck into traffic and have your shot BLOCKED off a shin pad (puck goes in opposite direction), which is another great outlet pass for the opposition to pick the puck up in the neutral zone and go in on Luongo and perform a shinny hockey, circus act play to win the game. Salt in the wound.

3) Wherever the play is, NEVER take a stupid penalty during the 3-on-3 overtime. [If it legit saves a goal; it's frowned upon, but accepted if it no doubt saves a goal]

1) Basically agreed, I'd just add "sharp angle shots". If you go straight in on the goalie, even if you miss, the puck pops back in front of the net. But I think because of generally more room on the ice at this time there won't be that many sharp angled shots, therefore less chance to rim it out along the boards

2) Partly agreed. The players got so good at blocking shots and passing lanes, so it will be difficult if a team approaches OT from the defensive side. The attacking players should be patient enough to work for quality scoring chances, the time and space is there. On the other side, it depends on the shooter. Some players are just good at avoiding "shinpads" when winding up

3) Do not agree. This counts for the whole game anyway, not only specifically for OT :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad