Crazy weather thread

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
The weather has been really weird so far this year in Ohio. It's been really cool so far, but now it's been like mid 70-80F all week, now we're entering another cooler period with some snow tomorrow.:laugh:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The weather has been really weird so far this year in Ohio. It's been really cool so far, but now it's been like mid 70-80F all week, now we're entering another cooler period with some snow tomorrow.:laugh:
It's your punishment for being a Blue Jackets fan. As if that personal choice hasn't punished you enough. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Seedtype

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Should redistribute sediment/sand to increase sand bars and clear aome channels.
Quite the stretch in this "Crazy weather thread." Maybe we should merge with the "Lost human cilvilizations?" thread. Speaking of which, am I the only one who wonders what a "cilvilization" is? :huh:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

More deets on the HFE which started this morning. Water expected to reach Lake Mead on Wednesday.
Are the tidal surfers all camping out at the headwaters of the Lake?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Now this is a double whammy ... Crazy Weather *AND* Crazy Stupid ...

Hang Ten (million USD).png

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Tulare Lake Grows

Tulare Lake Grows
February 1, 2023 JPEG

Tulare Lake Grows
April 30, 2023 JPEG

View Image Comparison

The San Joaquin Valley sits like a bowl at the base of the southern Sierra. Close to the middle of that bowl is the historic lakebed of Tulare Lake, which was once the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi River. Since the 1920s, the rivers that fed the lake have been dammed and diverted for agriculture and other uses. The lakebed has since been covered with farms that produce a variety of crops and livestock.

But after two major storms hit southern California in March 2023, water once again returned to Tulare. The image above (bottom), acquired by the Operational Land Imager (OLI) on Landsat 8, shows flooded farm fields in the lakebed on April 30, 2023. The image on the (top}—acquired by the OLI-2 on Landsat 9—shows the same area on February 1, before significant flooding started. These images are false color, which makes the water (dark blue) stand out from its surroundings. Vegetation is green and bare ground is brown.

The images below show the progression of flooding in the Tulare Lake basin. They were acquired by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite between March 2 and April 28, 2023.

tulareflooding_amo_2023118.jpg

March 2 - April 28, 2023

Flooding in the lakebed is likely to continue into 2024, which will affect residents and farmers in the area, as well as some of the most productive cropland in the Central Valley. The lakebed contains farms that produced cotton, tomatoes, dairy, safflower, pistachios, wheat, and almonds. ...

Read more at: Tulare Lake Grows | NASA EO

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: tacogeoff and JMCx4

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Hottest day ever

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!

Hottest day ever
Hottest day ever part two

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The air quality has been piss-poor in western NY. Unlike anything I've witnessed. My father has said the same thing. Freaky times. Last year was bad, but this year has been another tier of bad.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Hottest day ever part two

Since 1979
I believe yesterday marked part 3.

For me, the freakiest shit is still the forest fires in Canada causing the air quality to be terrible. My father and I have lived in Western NY for our entire lives. We can't recall it ever being this bad. We got hit with some really bad air quality a month ago. To a degree I've never witnessed before. You couldn't even go outside it was so bad. I was able to gut through it last year, which seemed like the worst we've ever had. Then, we got hit with terrible air quality again a week ago. I avoided the outside for the most part, but played golf when it was a still a bit elevated and felt fine.

My dad and I aren't tree hugging hippies, either. My dad especially isn't. He's a blue collard conservative who was in the army. He hasn't paid any mind to the loaded topic of climate change, but even he's starting to feel iffy about the future due to the air quality being so shit the past few years, especially this year. I admittedly lean left, so I've always believed in climate change.

I'm not an expert in the field, but I think we have some tough days ahead. Hopefully all the experts are wrong, but they know way the f*** more than we do about this shit.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The air quality has been piss-poor in western NY. Unlike anything I've witnessed. My father has said the same thing. Freaky times. Last year was bad, but this year has been another tier of bad.

My SIL stayed indoors a few weeks ago due to the smokey air in Syracuse. That was when they had the bad air in NYC. I thought that your bad air was from Quebec.

My bad air is from western Canada.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad