Craig Button's Top 50 Affiliated Prospects List (2024)

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Michkov should be 1st.

Perreault should be the highest ranked BC player. He leads college hockey in scoring, for crying out loud.
He's ahead of Smith by 2 points, and Smith/Leonard have always been seen as the higher ranked/more projectable. Not like he's dominating to some extent that he needs to be ranked higher by Craig Button.

Either way, it's Craig Button who always does weird stuff.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's ahead of Smith by 2 points, and Smith/Leonard have always been seen as the higher ranked/more projectable. Not like he's dominating to some extent that he needs to be ranked higher by Craig Button.

Either way, it's Craig Button who always does weird stuff.
I think at some point the points have to start mattering. When you keep leading teams and leagues and setting points records, the projectable thing eventually has to go out the window.

I had Smith ranked higher at the draft and still believe he could end up better. Leonard also could, but Perreault has to start getting more respect for the chance that this scoring is projectable and he will end up that PPG or more type of NHL’er.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think at some point the points have to start mattering. When you keep leading teams and leagues and setting points records, the projectable thing eventually has to go out the window.

I had Smith ranked higher at the draft and still believe he could end up better. Leonard also could, but Perreault has to start getting more respect for the chance that this scoring is projectable and he will end up that PPG or more type of NHL’er.
He's ranked 7th out of all NHL-affiliated prospects...he is clearly getting respect. Smith and Leonard are 4 and 3 spots higher, not like it's a huge difference like it was on draft day.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gauthier at 1 and over Michkov is f***ing hilarious. Cutter's not even in the same tier as Matvei. Gauthier is a very good prospect, but has legitimate holes in his game and based on where he has scored the vast majority of his NCAA goals, it's unclear if his goal-scoring is even going to translate without a serious effort to change his approach. Michkov is an absolute menace in all aspects of offensive hockey.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's ranked 7th out of all NHL-affiliated prospects...he is clearly getting respect. Smith and Leonard are 4 and 3 spots higher, not like it's a huge difference like it was on draft day.
He's the 4th rated player on his own hockey team, and he leads the whole NCAA in points. You don't see how thats disrespectful?

If you were to say Kucherov is the fourth best player on the Lightning, would that be viewed as disrespectful to him?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He's the 4th rated player on his own hockey team, and he leads the whole NCAA in points. You don't see how thats disrespectful?

If you were to say Kucherov is the fourth best player on the Lightning, would that be viewed as disrespectful to him?

Just to play devil's advocate, I recall Alex Newhook producing at a much better rate than Matt Boldy when both were freshmen at BC.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

But there's also concerns around his footspeed translating to the NHL level where the other 3 on his squad don't really have that concern. His upside projectability is part of the equation along with what they're all doing currently

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just to play devil's advocate, I recall Alex Newhook producing at a much better rate than Matt Boldy when both were freshmen at BC.
We are talking about three players, including two line-mates, not one player.

But there's also concerns around his footspeed translating to the NHL level where the other 3 on his squad don't really have that concern. His upside projectability is part of the equation along with what they're all doing currently
I'm pretty sure a lot of people mention Smith's foot speed as a question.

When do these concerns stop mattering or start mattering a lot less? I would think being the best player in college hockey at age 18 should be enough.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Moore nearly a PPG as freshman and isn't on his top 50

Seems impossible at this point to claim his stock has dropped after being selected #19. If anything his 29 pts in 32 games and overall play should have bolstered his standing as prospect
Yeah he's another notable omission, especially after his performance at the WJC, which was impressive considering his role.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

The rankings aren't based entirely on points. GP having the most points in the NCAA doesn't ensure that he will be the best player at the next level. It's not hard to understand.

Suggesting that GP is being disrespected is laughable. He was selected 23rd overall in his draft and is now ranked 7th overall among all drafted prospects. That's a sign of the respect that Button has for his game. There's no reason to take it personally that his BC teammates are ranked slightly higher. Every one of those players has physical tools that GP does not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad