Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Could Berube coach them to win a round? maybe, but coaches are not miracle workers and they need a good roster to win. I don't think he can make the "core 4" to be more than they are.
Wel then it made no sense to fire Keefe did it? Afterall his replacement can't do any better anyway

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
With all due respect to Keefe, I don't want to hear any iteration of "respect in the handshake line" ever again. I want grumpiness after a loss and anger if certain individuals aren't performing.

that's fair. but again i think for ages teams were laughing at you for being an easy out - you can both be grumpy that you lost, angry if people didn't perform but still be happy that you're not being considered an easy out can you not? like if the stanley cup champions are saying the toughest match up they had was Us. I'd take that as something to build up on (like yeah we need to do MORE things so we don't lose but we were obviously doing something right).

Reactions: Warden of the North

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Let’s see what they do with the core?
That’s the most important part.
They will be pretty stupid to run it back again hoping for different results.
Will believe it when I see it.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
that's fair. but again i think for ages teams were laughing at you for being an easy out - you can both be grumpy that you lost, angry if people didn't perform but still be happy that you're not being considered an easy out can you not? like if the stanley cup champions are saying the toughest match up they had was Us. I'd take that as something to build up on (like yeah we need to do MORE things so we don't lose but we were obviously doing something right).
It wasnt what any of us wanted to hear at that moment. Tone deaf.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
One thing I did like, the more they asked former players and associates, the more it became clear how well respected he is, which does mean something. He has a presence, we need a motivator, one of our biggest flaws is not showing up every game, he seems the perfect messenger to change that culture. Time will tell, but should be a net positive.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Let’s see what they do with the core?
That’s the most important part.
They will be pretty stupid to run it back again hoping for different results.
Will believe it when I see it.
After the initial end of season presser I felt like we were actually going to shake up the core. After today I feel like we are running back the core at least one more time with sweeping changes to the D.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I disagree. The problem I have is Marner doesn’t elevate lesser talent or “older/slower” guys, Willie has. Matthews has. If he’s slumping or being held to “superstar” standards, it’s another players fault. That’s what players that get paid superstar money should do. I wouldn’t give him away for nothing, but why pay a guy $11 million / year if he needs a Matthews or Willie to make it work. That’s the whole crux of the issue with the core 4.
How did you come to those conclusions?

Reactions: Buds17

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
After the initial end of season presser I felt like we were actually going to shake up the core. After today I feel like we are running back the core at least one more time with sweeping changes to the D.
1. I don’t think they will come out and say we are going to trade him and him and him
2. Presser is lip service more than anything
3. If Shanny wants to keep his job, running it back and hoping for different results VS trading the core and buying a few years, the latter is the safer option.
Will see it to believe it, afterall, we all thought they were bringing everyone back after no trades on the 2015 draft day and then the Phil trade happened.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Berube won a Cup with one of the least penalized teams in recent memory. The Blues' roster that year was anything but rough and tumble.
No one is talking about penalties. I'm using Berbube's exact words at the presser. He wants a heavy north game. He want fast and robust players like he had in St. Louis

Also the statement that the Blues weren't rough and tumble is insane. They were a disciplined team sure but just go ask Bruins fans what they thought of the Blues physical play in the finals

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Praised himself as a "great communicator", while struggling to answer some pretty basic softball questions?

Lovely start.
meh, it's just the new corporate-speak. Along with "connecting with people". And all the rest of the junk that humans have been doing for a millennia without feeling a sudden compulsion to brag about it. Just once I would love to hear a new coach say he is "not" here to connect with people. Or listen to them emote about their precious feelings.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
they were major contributors on cup winners... slotted where they needed to be. it always feels like people forget to add this. just because it didn't work here and they won somewhere else, doesn't mean it was wrong to still move along from them because... they weren't working here. and you'd think that one day - ideally, we'd get players [from wherever] it would work the same way but it doesn't.

i will say the same thing i say all time. if trading [whomever] gets us a better [whomever] and it can help us win - then that's okay and I hope they do it. apparently the flavour of the day is hating on Mitch - and I do think a part of it is brought on by himself and he's gotta do better speaking to the media, and living up to the contract demands.

if berube gets him to buy in. that's great. but if he can't (or Mitch won't). then we should move him (or ANYONE ELSE) who won't /can't buy in for those who will. it's really that simple.
But the finer point IS with respect to these other, multiple examples of our pieces that go on to become Cup winners or contributors to real runs on good teams. I'm not forgetting that it was right to move on from Phil Kessel even while on record that it was wrong to move on from Nazem Kadri.

Make no mistake, I share the constant position that says, we move the player that doesn't want to work or cannot work.

But we can only call our assessment of maligned players correct for so long, before the opposite pattern and double standard has to be called for the systemic problem - WITH US - it obviously is.

Watching Conor Garland last night, I thought: Mitch Marner can do that. We've seen glimpses of it...

...maybe the problem was trading Matt Martin away? <I kid...I think...>

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He’s from Toronto but in his press conference…not sure if anyone caught it…one of the members of the press asked him about growing up in Toronto, watching them etc…and he didn’t really answer it but side stepped it and it became really clear that not only is he not a leafs fan he’s not a sports fan. It’s rare that someone can grow up in Toronto and not be even a mild leafs fan unless you have allegiance to another team but it was clear there is no emotional investment for him. Maybe that will change but I would be surprised if he even knows the rules of the sport.

Also not to judge a book by its cover but seeing him stand in between Treliving and Berube solidified that opinion.

Lieweke was American and not a leafs fan but you really felt when he came in and when he spoke that he was personally invested in the success of the clubs.
Not sure where you came up with Pelley is not a sports fan?

Pelly was a regular with the Bobcat Bob McCowan on the FAN590 drive show. On the show a lot.
He is a massive sports fan.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
No one is talking about penalties. I'm using Berbube's exact words at the presser. He wants a heavy north game. He want fast and robust players like he had in St. Louis
He doesn't have those players here as of now, so let's see what the GM can do.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Also the statement that the Blues weren't rough and tumble is insane. They were a disciplined team sure but just go ask Bruins fans what they thought of the Blues physical play in the finals
That’s the take away I get too. If he wants a Heavy North Game and a fast team, those words really don’t describe MM, JT and Robbie

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I dont get it....again who cares about the other teams. I only care about the leafs but for arguments sake, every team that gets knocked out has fans who complain about something...go take a look. Some canuck fans are blaming the 3rd string goalie.

true

I just find leaf nation over the top most times. I understand the frustration but its hard to win the cup. I dont get excited about playoff wins ...etc if the cup isn't achieved. I dont believe its this so called toughness or lack there of.

We made heros out of players that have won nothing. But we want to bash some of the greatest leafs we ever had because of a 1st rd exit.

Its probably me getting tired of all the complaining :)

I guess I just have to get away from the constant complaining. Teams fail....with good coaches and great players all the time. Certain teams get a pass ....but not the leafs.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I remember people offering beer to the RCMP officers on their horses. They were politely declining the offers but letting everyone enjoy their beers without hassles. That's one thing I really like about Toronto, we can have a party like that to celebrate without burning down the city as happens in most other places. I don't even remember if anyone got arrested that night ...
As I recall noone got arrested (so they say) after either WS win. I did see a cop smash the rear view mirror of a bus driver which really angered the driver ( Im not sure it was intentional, he was trying to get his attention). It's a long story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabriel426

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
yup. But it was pretty close to 100% anyway since just trading Marner is still running back the core. Although without him they not even make the playoffs.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I wasn't comparing them I was saying how opposite the situation is. Marner doesn't have to be dealt because he has spoken out in the media and it's not a given he is the same player forever. That's just typical over reacting from Leafs fans. Let him play out his contract year and see what happens , trading him now is foolish.

That completely depends on what the return would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad